Oddball Arrow Opinions?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

awshucks

Oddball Arrow Opinions?

Post by awshucks »

Been doing some thinking. W/ this 3D thingy having some restrictions I may need to comply w/.
mainly, it's 175# draw weight and 280 fps. If I just shoot for fun, no problems, still.....I like competition! :mrgreen:

I have the kids poop Vixen and my Y-25. i can swap the rails[or get one] and be legal but no where near 280 fps w/ present gobs of Gt's.

so, here's what I've been considering:

146 gr shafts [20" Gt's @ 7.3 gpi]
22 gr alum flat nocks
32 gr alum inserts
18 gr [3] 2" Blazers
5 gr [1/2 wrap]
100 gr tips

or going w/ above and changing to:

90 gr brass inserts [never saw one but keep reading they are out there]
65 gr field tips

Anybody ever try these?
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Re: Oddball Arrow Opinions?

Post by wheelie »

Believe the 280 has been raised to 350fps now. So no worries.
Stash

Post by Stash »

The 350 thing is an Ontario 3D rule. Is it the same in AR?

How about you cut the GTs down to 18" and stick with the Blazers and inserts and try different field point tips from 65, 75, 90, 100 grains until you get down to your speed maximum? I doubt if going a bit under 325gr will harm the bow. The low FOC thing might a concern for very long yardages in the wind and for broadheads, but you won't lose accuracy for 3D.

I have some 16" GTs with mini vanes and 50 grain glue-ins that weigh 200 grains overall - want to try them? :D They should go like stink out of a Vixen. I shot them out of an Exomax and got 400 fps, and off a Phoenix on a bench rest at 25 yards they all stacked all together.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Stash wrote:The 350 thing is an Ontario 3D rule. Is it the same in AR?
I stand corrected.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey you old fart, unless yer just wanting to shoot the Y25 fer whatever reason. Use the vixen with GT II at 406 brass front insert fps will be about 270 using FFF string. Varizone will keep you in 3" circle out to 50 yds & thats hard too beat fer scoring, :lol: I shot the old carved tip vixen in Tn. Wolf River 3-d's & took 1st place CB fer the yr!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

Awshucks, Use your Y25 with an EXCELL string- tied on wiskers and a 500gr arrow . Will be about 280fps and nice and quiet . Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

CBRon wrote:Awshucks, Use your Y25 with an EXCELL string- tied on wiskers and a 500gr arrow . Will be about 280fps and nice and quiet . Ron
I would Ron, but they got a 175# limit, which I'd have to follow. Mikey: I'm using the 'Y' stock somehow, lol.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Is yer Vixen rail 14" or 13 1/2" ? I am sure we can get you around the 280 fps mark!
Half Bubble Off BD360

CBRon

Post by CBRon »

crossbow-review tested a brown vixen with Excalibur's flemish string and got 278.8 with 385gr. arrow. Ecalibur's instruction manual says you should get 278fps. with a 367gr. arrow. Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Thanks all! I'm kinda in the tire kickin stage as y'all can tell. Among all the other help, I got a pm offer of a phoenix rail which is probably my 'A' answer as I won't have to rob the rail off the kids Vixen, lol.

"Dad, dad, somebody stole part of my xbow!" :oops: :oops: :oops:

I got beaucoup Gt's already sorted, he can lose the junkers, lol. Btdt already. :mrgreen:

Btw, ran into the shirt tail relation that ended up w/ my 'Phenocet' at the last 3-D meeting. So far, he got 3 bucks [Mo lease] over 120, a doe and two cases of beer hustling his buddies on the targets. Happy camper, for sure.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

So yer dropping down in poundage to a 175 Bow & what is ASA ? Sounds like as good excuse as any to let the 200 lb gracefully retire to the wall hanging spot, :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

vixenmaster wrote:So yer dropping down in poundage to a 175 Bow & what is ASA ? Sounds like as good excuse as any to let the 200 lb gracefully retire to the wall hanging spot, :lol:
I'm just converting the 'Y' a tad to be legal, you old coon! Keepin the longer rail. Better be thinkin about me shootin all that 3-D while you are not, heh heh. Every dog has his day!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

awshucks wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:So yer dropping down in poundage to a 175 Bow & what is ASA ? Sounds like as good excuse as any to let the 200 lb gracefully retire to the wall hanging spot, :lol:
I'm just converting the 'Y' a tad to be legal, you old coon! Keepin the longer rail. Better be thinkin about me shootin all that 3-D while you are not, heh heh. Every dog has his day!
The Vixen is legal as it is :lol: You need all the practice you can get :lol: I don't mind being being whooped in shooting competions. I just make sure i have it together enuff with this odd-ball mis-matched stuff i call arrows to kill my Tick Toters :D I will attend one or 2 of the 3-D shoots with you, have to break out yer Chrony to make sure super fast Miss Vixen is legal :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I'll agree, the Vixens are wonderful bows! Imho, the Y-25's are just a tad more wonderfuller :D I also am a holder of the V-zone in very high regard for hunting, but for 3-D competition it don't hold a candle to the Leupold w/ xbow rets I got from Danny. I have a gut feeling w/ Phoenix, I can crank it up to 7x and all the markers go from 10 yds to 5, heh heh.

You keep winding me up on that 'Y' and I'm changing my will so instead of you, it will go to Salvation Army! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I'll end this w/ a true story. Back in the Depression, my grand pops 'Elmer' found a way to get more money for his corn crops than the grain elevator would pay. My grandma used to tell him, "they're gonna hang you, Elmer".

His response: "The catchin comes afore the hangin, Mary Ellen".

It's only gonna be 15 miles to the new archery range. :mrgreen:
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

OK but yer Y25 will be just a fancy wooden stocked phoenix, :lol: Well getstid all yer stuff in one sock cause when i come on down i am bring Miss Vixen & all Hell rides with her! :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360