Broken Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

novacam

Broken Bolts

Post by novacam »

I'm having tough luck with my bolts over the last few days. I broke one bolt with a tight grouping, which I understand breaking. However, I broke one last night at 40 yards into a foam target, it snapped right in half. I check my bolts over before I shoot, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary but it snapped. This happen to anyone else? I'm guessing it was a damaged bolt?
vixenmaster

Re: Broken Bolts

Post by vixenmaster »

I haven't broke any target shooting but have broke several into after shooting animals
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

What brand are you using? I'm using the excal firebolts...have lost a few inserts ( barely any glue ) but no broken arrows!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
novacam

Post by novacam »

Firebolts are the ones I've broken. Lost a few inserts too, had to glue them back in. I buy my bolts from my local shop now, I've had better luck with them.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Doesn't make any sense to me! :?
Even if your shooting one of the 225lb "beast" you shouldn't have an arrow break...especially in a foam target!! If one of your inserts that pulled out was still in the target and you bulls eyed it I would think your arrow would just drive it out the other side!! Maybe split shaft...but not break.
Check your shafts out very carefully!!! Hopefully just a bad shaft...new one on me!
Good luck!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

It is possible that it was damaged by being hit by another arrow in the tight grouping you mentioned.
Possibly weakened it enuff to cause it to break while being removed from the target.
Can't say for sure but possible?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

j.krug wrote:It is possible that it was damaged by being hit by another arrow in the tight grouping you mentioned.
Possibly weakened it enuff to cause it to break while being removed from the target.
Can't say for sure but possible?
I've done that trick before.

A firebolt isn't going to break easily, they are made very well. If you think an arrow might be weakened, then do a flex test. You can see the hair line fractors and you can hear it crackle. Just take each end in your hands and flex the arrow back and forth. If it's damaged, then you will see it. If it's ok, then nothing will happen . . .well, unless you are really strong and get carried away. Just a slight flex is all it takes.

This only works for carbon arrows. My disclaimer.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

We've had carbons break while pulling from a target - they'd been weakened by previous removal attempts. It's important to pull straight back, never at an angle. Also take care with twisting it. Pull with your hand or puller as close to the target as possible.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
HW

Post by HW »

Hitting an insert and fieldpoint lost in the target may cause damage.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
novacam

Post by novacam »

Well, I thought it was in good shape but I guess not. Could have hit a list field point, it is an old target with many shots into it over the years. All I know is I have half a bolt and I'll be on my way to get more this weekend.
secret

Post by secret »

Did they happen to break right where they sit in your quiver? My friend had some break right where the rubber holds shaft !
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
novacam

Post by novacam »

secret wrote:Did they happen to break right where they sit in your quiver? My friend had some break right where the rubber holds shaft !
It broke right in the middle, think a bit higher than where it's held in the quiver? It blew up on impact,
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Sure sounds to me like it was stressed from being pulled from a target before - either twisted too much in the pulling or pulled at an angle.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

I have only had 2 firebolts ever break. One was from wounding a wild boar which we found 1 week later and shot 2 more time with guns. I think the pig must have rolled with part of the firebolt sticking out and snapped it in half. The other was more recently. I hit arrow on arrow during traget practice but the arrow looked more or less ok. The flat nock had a good dent in it. I flexed the arrow and it snapped in half in the middle of the shaft.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

2nd post, none broke in or pulling from targets. Yr for last i shot a tick toter & it broke off about 6/7" on vane end & i am sure was caused by its leg before the pass-through was complete. This past season had 2 do the same thing & lost another when i shot the Yote. It hit a rock passing through & between the deflection & Yote twisting broke into! I din't find any small or big carbon peices inside or around the wound area. I would always ck in yer game if'en it broke off to make sure.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315