Hunting Gobblers From Treestand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kurisu

Hunting Gobblers From Treestand

Post by kurisu »

Does anyone on this forum hunt gobblers from a treestand? I've thought about getting into a tree to hunt them this year. Has anyone had any success hunting this way?
Aero320

Re: Hunting Gobblers From Treestand

Post by Aero320 »

I killed a turkey with a bow from a treestand several years ago. If you scratch your nose, they will see it and run, they see everything. I saw the turkey from a distance and did not move until he was behind a big tree. I drew the bow, he stepped out from behind the tree and WHAM, winner, winner turkey dinner. I killed another from a ground blind and it is much easier. You do not have to brush the blind in. Also, no need to use the camo net, the turkeys are not scared of the black holes. You should wear a black shirt and black head cover.
Exocet 200
Lumizone
S5
Flemish Dyna String
Gold Tip Laser III's
Easton 2117 w/Brass Inserts
Rocket Hammerheads (100g.)
Slick Tricks
X-Act Mechanicals
Leupold Vendetta
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It happens a lot, with me and a few others I know it's during deer season, most hunt turkeys from the ground, a lot easier to move to another location which sometimes can happen a lot,

good luck

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Calling can be a problem, turkeys can pinpoint the direction of a sound and the altitude can throw it off or alert it.
Like others, I have shot them from a tree, but during deer season, I had a tag and figured "why not".
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Not an easy way to hunt them. I have been close enough to kill turkey while in a tree when hunting deer, but you are really confining your efforts to one spot. Better to be mobile during turkey season.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
birddog10

Post by birddog10 »

In Michigan you can only hunt turkeys from an elevated platform, using a bow or crossbow. Gun hunters must stay on the ground. None the less, I've never tried it, although I've had turkeys walk underneath me during deer season, close enough to take one.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

birddog10 wrote:In Michigan you can only hunt turkeys from an elevated platform, using a bow or crossbow. Gun hunters must stay on the ground. None the less, I've never tried it, although I've had turkeys walk underneath me during deer season, close enough to take one.
Funny I have been in the tree stand fall deer hunting in full blaze orange and had turkey's walk right under me and I wasn't sitting still :shock:
The best things in life are not things!!
phil

Post by phil »

chris4570 wrote:Not an easy way to hunt them. I have been close enough to kill turkey while in a tree when hunting deer, but you are really confining your efforts to one spot. Better to be mobile during turkey season.
..my thoughts exactly
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt