Question for the canucks!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

georgiaboy

Question for the canucks!

Post by georgiaboy »

Do yall have wild hogs in Canada?
I'm watching a hunting show about wild hogs and it got me to wondering about why I never see or hear anything about wild hogs in Canada. Here in the south we are covered up!! We also have a good population in the northern U.S, but it's like when you hit the canadian border...nothing!
Now I know it gets cold as hell there, but it's pretty dang cold in Russia and they have a thriving population (hence russian boars).
Is it because of a stringent program by your DNR or am I just missing something?
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
N8tr Boy

Re: Question for the canucks!

Post by N8tr Boy »

to my knowledge ,NO. I wish we did some off season practice :D . We do have some private farms that have hunts but that is the extent in Ontario.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Its just a matter of time before that invasive species hits here. At times I wish we had them to hunt, but from what i hear south of the border they can become quite a problem. Im watching a wild hog show (cant remember name) and when they show their population charts on the north american map they are nearing our borders!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I'd hate to see them become the problem here that they are in some areas but I would love to be able to hunt them here in Ontario.
Here pig, pig, piggy!! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

j.krug wrote:I'd hate to see them become the problem here that they are in some areas but I would love to be able to hunt them here in Ontario.
Here pig, pig, piggy!! :)
It is a two edge sword!!
I love hunting them...one hell of a challenge, but they are devastating our native species!!
They eat turkey eggs and poults, they will even eat new born fawns!! We shoot them on sight...no questions asked. Be careful what you wish for!!!
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

No wild hogs or turkey in Nova Scotia. I have to wait to go upland game bird in October before I can hunt again. I sure wish we had something to hunt now. I must check into the coyotes? Do know if my hell will permit but it would be nice to try.
Thanks,
Raymond
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

the only hogs we have here are the ones that get voted in! :twisted: :twisted:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

We do have some in the wild, yes.
There was a hog hunt farm near Drumbo Ontario, a few minutes from me, there were some escapees over the years and some of these animals have been successfully harvested long after the farm shut down. I have talked to people who have seen small ones in the bush as well.
A year or two ago I went to the farm (now closed to public) to ask about a hunt and I ran the idea of "escapees" past the owner, he tried to act offended as though that could never happen, but I have seen photos, by people I trust.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

My brother in Alberta has seen them there.... it's likely just a matter of time.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

plenty in aussie mate not that it helps you, down under they are real nasty ah as well the young blokes take out there dogs to hunt them down with & others fight the boars down by hand & use what we call a pig sticker on them which is a big bowie knife, thats ok but no crossbows though. :lol: :lol:
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

in the province of quebec ,do not have them.we had turkey reintroduced a few year ago,i counted over 60 turkeys when i was deer hunthing last year.would like to hunt wild hogs do!!! ....look like a instance hunt.... :D
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

hankenhunter wrote:Check this out! www.timescolonist.com/technology/Feral+ ... story.html
Vancouver Island is a semi tropical rain forest, Can you imagine what will happen when they take root? (no pun intended)
Its basically a smörgåsbord for swine. Hardly any snow, cover so dense you wouldn't believe it if you didn't see it with
your own eyes. Then theres the ocean shoreline, when the tide is out the table is set. Another worry is that there are many
spots along the inside passage between island and mainland where numerous islands form a very navigable chain to
the B.C main land. Hog hunting anyone? We should ship a crap load to Australia and solve BlackJack's and Dash's crossbow
legislation problem.
Happy hog and turkey shootin,
Hank
Sorry the link is bad. Google Vancouver Island wild hogs. We should send Vix Chick over solve the problem. :wink:
The island is pretty lucky though. Because it's an island, with a good management program (to ensure that no one brings a hog across) it would be nearly impossible for hogs to get there.

Regards,
chaser

Post by chaser »

I watched a hunting show from out west, it was either Manitoba, Saskatchewan or Alberta and they were hunting wild boar. The host got chased by one and almost had KITTENS ! :D He had good reason to be scared. They did shoot one later in the show and it was a BIG boar around 400 lbs. I didn't get the impression they were on a game ranch but who knows. No piggies where I live in Ontario, although I did find a pig skull in my turkey woods last season, but I think it was a fugitve or coyote scattered carcass.

Chaser
tman74

Post by tman74 »

Parts of Alberta has them, and I've seen a small group not too far from my house on several occasions over the years.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

you bowfish georgiaboy ? Looking for a holiday I can bowfish at night and hog hunt the day. :) :) Been thinking of Texas.