DIY broadhead target ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

chaser

DIY broadhead target ?

Post by chaser »

Hello all !

Does anyone have a good do it yerself broad head target design ? All replies are appreciated maybe it'll be of use to others on a budget like myself ? :) Thanks.

Chaser
secret

Re: DIY broadhead target ?

Post by secret »

Burlap sack filled with grocery store bags or old clothes. sew top hang from stand or tree. very cheap very effective
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

Have never used for broadheads but works great with field points.
chaser

Post by chaser »

Thanks guys,

I'll give that a try. But by the lack of responses I figure I can also conclude that making my own broadhead target may not be the best idea. There are so many on this forum more experienced with xbows than I, that perhaps it was a stupid question in the first place. :shock: I guess in this case it's better not to cheap out. Lesson learned, which is my goal anyway. :D

Chaser
forrest-hunter

Post by forrest-hunter »

If you use a broadhead target do NOT shoot a target head into it. They are next to impossible to pull out - this also applies to traditional or compound bows.
chaser

Post by chaser »

forrest-hunter wrote:If you use a broadhead target do NOT shoot a target head into it. They are next to impossible to pull out - this also applies to traditional or compound bows.
Another lesson learned, thank you !

Chaser
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Can't say I have heard of anyone successfully making a home brew broadhead target, but there are 1001 ways to make a field point target.
I think a home brew broadhead target is asking for trouble, too much potential for bent blades or stuck broadheads. You can cheap out and still purchase a broadhead target, then your only issue is longevity.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

chaser wrote:Thanks guys,

I'll give that a try. But by the lack of responses I figure I can also conclude that making my own broadhead target may not be the best idea. There are so many on this forum more experienced with xbows than I, that perhaps it was a stupid question in the first place. :shock: I guess in this case it's better not to cheap out. Lesson learned, which is my goal anyway. :D

Chaser
No such thing as a stupid question. I recall someone here made a b/head target out of a couple layers of that pink outside house insulation(the foam stuff).

I make my own feild tip bags, but for b/heads I use the rhinehart 18-1. Its alot of money but will last along time!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
chaser

Post by chaser »

Again thanks, all ! At least this time I didn't find out the hard way ! :D

Chaser
shaftthrower

Post by shaftthrower »

I use trailer blocks(white foam) from TSC or any where they sell utility trailers. Their free measure 12" square X 24" long . My xbow arrows stop about 4-5" from feathers remove BH then arrow. Arrows are tight to get out but they work.
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

For a broadhead target I use what's basically a box of "Kitty Litter". I'm told sand filled targets work too. You have to wiggle the arrow around and take the broadhead off to get the arrow out, which is bit of a pain sometimes. You can shoot it from either side. The original card board box doesn't last too long, so the box I use has a piece of carpet on the front and back. Not ideal, but cheap and it works.