Hunting Over a Full Strut Tom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kurisu

Hunting Over a Full Strut Tom

Post by kurisu »

Does anyone out there hunt over a full strut tom? When you do, are you concerned about scaring away jakes?

Regards,
Kurisu
georgiaboy

Re: Hunting Over a Full Strut Tom

Post by georgiaboy »

I used to hunt with one and did notice that the jakes would hang up and not come in. The only time they would was if there were three or more in a group...strength in numbers I guess!!! Lol
I hunt public land now so I don't use it anymore. Hard enough to get any bird in, can't afford to be picky. If it's brown......
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
phil

Post by phil »

The only thing i would be concerned with is getting 2 oz of #4 shot flying by my face!..be very careful. Could be very dangerous. :shock: As for scaring away jakes in concerned, i would think it would do more harm then good.
....Work To Live....Live To Hunt
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i us a fumm strutt tom early season and have had great luck with them . if you watch your birds before the season and see lots of birds in the area then go for the full strutter . if only a lone tom then just a singel hen or a jake . i seen lots of toms out this evening strutting up a storm with jakes all around them DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Good to know, Dutch. I had three gobblers at the farm last year but I didn't get one. Hopefully the strutter will tick them off enough to put them in range.

Kurisu