My coyote attack a few years ago.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

My coyote attack a few years ago.

Post by Pydpiper »

I put on my best camo, (was my best camo) and headed into the woods where I have been seeing a lot of tracks.. I backed up against a tree and pulled some brush against me, it would have been a useless position if I had my crossbow, but since I left it at home I figured it was a good spot.
I have been reading all the sites you guys sent to me, it seems pretty rare that these guys get animals closer than a hundred yards or so, so I felt pretty safe.. I hunched down and let the howler go for a bit, still think it sounds like a drunk duck but the coyotes seem to think it sounded pretty darn good. I seen the first one come up over the river bank, and my heart went crazy.. it was the closest I have been to one of these things since I decided to hunt them, probably 75 yards or so right in front of me, then gone again.
I was far from stealthy when I stuck the howler in my pocket and popped the squeaker in my mouth, I was concentrating more on what sound I was making than what was happening around me, that's when I seen the nasty looking thing about 10 yards in front of me, head cocked to one side and taking slow steps towards me, he was alone I think. All I could think about is how easy of a shot it would have been if I actually had something to shoot it with, and by the time that thought went through my head it was 5 or 6 feet in front of me, I was sure it was looking me straight in the eye. My excitement turned to concern when I realized it wasn't stopping, just walking right to me.. I of course was still tooting away on my squeaker, almost laughing into it in nervousness. By now I knew it was coming for that sound regardless of what I did, so I decided I would grab it by the scruff if it came closer, and closer it came, lunged at the squeaker that was still making noise as I tried to breath through it.
It was in the air when I grabbed it, Damn thing pounced like a cat, I missed his scruff with both hands, one hand had his cheek and the other the top of it's head by the ear.. He was pretty pissed, and I could smell his rotten breath and all I remember thinking is how white the teeth were for an ugly animal. It was mere seconds and I had it pinned down under my knee while holding its head to the ground. I had it in a position where it couldn't do any damage to me and I looked around to see if he had any friends nearby, all I could think is why I hadn't read anything like this, and what else could possibly happen. I mumbled something through my teeth about not being a mouse with lots of colorful words included. I took my hand off it's cheek to grab my knife and that's when he turned and got my leg, just above my ankle. It happened pretty quick, didn't feel a thing. About 10 seconds later, neither did he. I learned a few things today, that is for sure.

So, my buyers remorse for buying the cheapest yote call Bass Pro had to offer is now gone, I am a firm believer now.

I have the picture of my leg, it isn't pretty though.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Re: My coyote attack a few years ago.

Post by vixenmaster »

Better you than me laying of hands on a nasty Yote, i had rather shoot or club them them.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Wow, thats freaky. :shock: :shock:
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Holy Sh*€!!!!!!!!

Talk about bringing a knife to a gun fight! :shock:

DaGriz; we have a winner! (maybe a little bigger knife) :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
roly

Post by roly »

I don't think I'd use that squeaker unless
I had a bigger weapon :lol: :lol:
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Told you folks it was a beaut! Thanks, Pyp, loved it again, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

One heck of a story man!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

WOW!! Talk about a close encounter with nature!! :shock:
Glad it turned out better for you than the coyote!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have learned a thing or two since then, like to never keep a knife in your pocket.. I always have a fixed blade on me in the woods now, or at the minimum an assisted opener with easy access.
I have gone through hundreds of coyotes since then and I have never seen one act that way again. Looking back I think that if I did have a gun or bow that coyote would never have got that close, and I also believe that it had no idea that I was a threat. The way I had myself brushed in would have made it impossible to handle a firearm, nor from his position to make me out as anything but the origin of the squeak.
I can't help but wonder what he would have done if I had just let go instead of pin him down, would he have ran or fought. I know he was surprised when the mouse he was hunting turned out to be a lot bigger than him.
As some know, I do wildlife control for a living and have for many, many years. Since this coyote encounter I have integrated predator control into my company. Often when setting up on a farm a farmer will ask me "what the heck made you get in to this line of work?" I give them a shorter version of the story. :D

If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Cool story I had a coyote come in my first year I turkey hunted he came in behind the tree I was sitting by the time I looked around to see what it was his tail was in my face :lol:
By the time I swung the gun up and around he was gone!!
The best things in life are not things!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Hey Pyp! Gotta ask, did they shave just that leg when they stitched ya or do both? Guy could test a lot of blade sharpening jobs w/ gams like those! :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I hope your shots were up to date, 'cause his likely were not :D
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:I hope your shots were up to date, 'cause his likely were not :D
Just what I was thinkin :D
Also i decided not to jump on you :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

one shot scott wrote:I hope your shots were up to date, 'cause his likely were not :D
Current shots are a "must have" in my occupation. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

Hell of a story Pyd, bet you're glad it wasn't a bear!!
cheers
David