Practice with mechanical broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dwilley

Practice with mechanical broadheads

Post by dwilley »

Other than buying and using a whole bunch of the small elastic "O-rings" of the type that come with most mechanical broadheads, what do you guys do about having the blades open in flight when you are just practicing? I think I read of someone using dental-floss to tie the blades shut. Rather than putting a new ring on for each practice shot, would using epoxy resin, JB Weld or the like, and gluing the head permanently shut make more sense. I'm thinking it would stop the blades getting bent, but would add hardly any weight or air resistance. What is anyone else's opinion on this?
Thanks,
David
sumner4991

Re: Practice with mechanical broadheads

Post by sumner4991 »

I have used dental floss to keep them closed. That does a good job. Never tried your idea, but, seems like it should work.

I never practice with my mechanicals anymore. They are basically field points. I just pay close attention to the spin test and if the arrow/broadhead passes the spin test, then it's good to go.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I used dental floss when I tried them too, it appeared to work well. I went one step further and weighed the rubber band and then made sure that I had the same weight in dental floss.
Have you considered contacting the manufacturer? They may have a product made for exactly what you are trying to accomplish. I have found that with so much competition in the broadheads these days the manufacturers are tripping over themselves to make sure you stick to their product.
Also, if cost is an issue with "bulk" O rings, there are alternatives too, some guys use a dental band that can be bought in bulk.
Good luck!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I use Spitfires they don't use any bands & they have practice blades. I don't even practice with mine now just shoot the field pts as they shoot the same.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

vixenmaster wrote:I use Spitfires they don't use any bands & they have practice blades. I don't even practice with mine now just shoot the field pts as they shoot the same.
X2
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
SPITFIRE

Post by SPITFIRE »

X3 :D :D :D
I am a hunter and proud of it.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

X4
M&M

Post by M&M »

when shooting the spitfires I have a few set aside that I use just for target shooting for sight in prior to bow season, my only issue with this was the foam from the target getting loaded up in the grooves of the head where the blades fit into, so I started using a little spray silicone on them and after pulling them from the target I could just easily brush the foam out with a toothbrush and then the blades can be pushed back into position easily
M&M
roly

Post by roly »

I don't practice with my BH . Like the others they shoot
same as my FP

I shoot rage, that come with practice head if I wanted to
try them

I think the dental floss works good.

I've always wondered if shrink tube would be strong enough to hold it
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

sumner4991 wrote:..............I never practice with my mechanicals anymore. They are basically field points. I just pay close attention to the spin test and if the arrow/broadhead passes the spin test, then it's good to go.

BINGO!!!
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Ibex

Post by Ibex »

I use electrical tape or duct tape cut lengthwise to a width of about 3/16" and wrapped around the blades to hold them in. I use this system on marden vortex 125 gr steel 2" expandables firing them into a cardboard box filled with rags. Usually I have to replace the tape each shot.

Fran
Ibex, 3X-32 Vortex crossbow scope, GT Laser II, 125 gr. Marden Mini Mag Steel broadheads, 4 deer so far
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

roly wrote:I don't practice with my BH . Like the others they shoot
same as my FP

I shoot rage, that come with practice head if I wanted to
try them

I think the dental floss works good.

I've always wondered if shrink tube would be strong enough to hold it
Same here. Shooting Rage 2's and don't practice with them cuz they shoot same as field points.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads