String Loop Failure

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

String Loop Failure

Post by strum »

I have been running a test on my exomax to find out how many shots i would get out of a string..
Had trigger work done and this string was reserved (Excel #1994)
Waxed string with daltons every 50 rerubbed it in every 20 or so ..
Turned string to change point of contact every 100
Cleaned rail 2 times
End result: 465 shots.
Serving showing slight fraying/wear but no seperation( I think it could have gone past 500)
Test ended when I noticed a loose strand and upon examination i found two strands had broke at the left string end loop.
So this string had maybe 70-100 shots before the reserve conservatively meaning it lasted around 550 shots..
Another member of knowledge said I should post the finding to bring out string loop awareness :D
I have noticed on a few different strings I have changed that the loop ends realy take a beating and I dont see those talked about much..
I think I had a great run with that string and put a new one on.. but before i did I waxed the loops good and you can realy feel the difference
with the daltons..much slicker,,So Im interested to hear what yall have to add to the loop subject.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Re: String Loop Failure

Post by Boo »

Loop awareness! LOL! Well said. May people never pay attention to that part of the string and they should. It does take a beating. Two broken strands on a Flemish string loop did not make it an emergency to stop shooting but you were right in tossing the string. On an endless loop string it becomes a serious issue.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

When the factory fff strings came to the market to compliment the mag tip limbs I had my first two strings break at the loops. Excess shooting, non inspection and not waxing the loops certainly contributed. Both strings broke when the trigger was pulled and startled me somewhat.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I always paid more attention to the serving than the loops. Now I know better and I will take better care of them. Thanks for posting this.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Joystyx

Post by Joystyx »

Interesting post, thanks !

I get the habit of waxing the serving and putting some bow string silicone grease on the non-serving part of the string after every 25 shots or so.
I completely grease the little "whiskers" on the flemish -they look like little pebbles- and I've noticed that they get all fluffy after 25 shots, it's a good indication for a lil' lovin' lubin'.
The string I'm currently using on the Max is more than 300 shots and looks as new.
So far, so good...
2010 Exomax - Leupold VX-I - HHA Speed Dial
2008 Relayer Y25 #954 -VariZone - S5
A bunch of Firebolts
Shockwaves & Crimson Talons
Inter arma silent leges
Liberty, Equality, Fraternity
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

AH another reason i use & shoot the midgit weight Vixen. Very easy on all parts of string :lol: I like geting couple thousands shots per string!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Good info thanks, when you guys wax your string, do you remove it to get wax on the end loops, I am shooting the endless loop string, should a person remove it every 50 or so shots to inspect it? Where do they break? At the edge of the serving or under the serving?
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Never have had an Endloop serving failure. Usually my center serving goes & i reserve it 8 or 10 times til couple string strands break then i toss the string.
Half Bubble Off BD360

strum

Post by strum »

bcmuledeer wrote:Good info thanks, when you guys wax your string, do you remove it to get wax on the end loops, I am shooting the endless loop string, should a person remove it every 50 or so shots to inspect it? Where do they break? At the edge of the serving or under the serving?
mine broke at the intersection where it it forms a v ..or maybe its a y shape..what i noticed first was a loose strand..thought it had broke under the serving but well you know the rest :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Y'all do knowed that one ELoop has the 2 loose string strands that are served over fer the Eloop serving!
Half Bubble Off BD360

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

vixenmaster wrote:Y'all do knowed that one ELoop has the 2 loose string strands that are served over fer the Eloop serving!
You're right vix' (my first 'boughten string' had em at EACH end) but they don't have to be loose. I braid mine into the string before serving over them when making an EL for the compound short-sliver slinger. That said, it's one reason I prefer Flemish on my Excals, no end serving, loop twice as strong, no loose ends.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
strum

Post by strum »

vixenmaster wrote:Y'all do knowed that one ELoop has the 2 loose string strands that are served over fer the Eloop serving!
the loose strands im talking about were in the main body of the string..my string is tan and green..a tan one was what i noticed and looking at the break at the loop i found one tan and one green broke..i tried to pull the strand free but it goes around the loop and probly was creeping loose shot after shot. but to answer your question Vixenmaster , yep i understand the serving ends..but thats not what im seeing..
i may take it apart later just for the fun of it ..
I wonder has anybody ever took the time to check those limb tips before puttin on a new string ..a burr in that grove cant be good..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
dwilley

Post by dwilley »

bcmuledeer wrote:....when you guys wax your string, do you remove it to get wax on the end loops?........
That's a question I asked a while ago on a different thread, never did get an answer, but would really like to know what others do when they wax their loops,
cheers,
David
P.S.. and is it just me, or does "waxing your loops" sound like a teenage synonym to you too?
Boo

Post by Boo »

Most string loops never get waxed! Wax the whole string when you install it then every few hundred shots after that.
dwilley, have you ever gone to my website?
Do you need to remove the string to wax it? If removing the string is too much work you should take up crossword puzzles instead of hunting or shooting!
Boo

Post by Boo »

strum wrote: I wonder has anybody ever took the time to check those limb tips before puttin on a new string ..a burr in that grove cant be good..
Stan, I doubt a bur will hurt the string material but you make a good point, it you have a large raised ridge it would probably be a problem. If you've ever seen a mag tip before being dipped you'd see that they are almost seamless and after a film dip they get smoother. The seam is barely visible with the naked eye.