Hawk Attack

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Hawk Attack

Post by strum »

Sittin in my blind monday morn..I saw a hawk fly in and land in a tree behind me..didnt think much of it as i could hear him callin ..
I was just kinda sittin listening ,,not lookin at my decoy when i heard WHAM.. i just caught the tail end of it but that hawk hit my decoy with all it was worth ,,kinda hard to see in the first pic but thats talon holes..one at 7oclock from the eye and one further away at 2oclock
those talons went all the way through the head and neck and some in the side of the bird too ..its amazing to see that it can and will attack a full size turkey..and if it had been real it would have been DEA DEAD :? ..wish i had seen it all but what i did see was a messed up decoy and a hawk sitting in a tree with a look of ..WHAT THE----- just happened..

Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
MADMAX2

Re: Hawk Attack

Post by MADMAX2 »

Cool that would of been one dead hen!!if she didn't duck :lol:
The best things in life are not things!!
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Probably lost it's taste for turkey. LOL.

At least you know your decoy is a darn good one . . .if a hawk is fooled . . .
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
strum

Post by strum »

sumner4991 wrote:Probably lost it's taste for turkey. LOL.

At least you know your decoy is a darn good one . . .if a hawk is fooled . . .
funny it was about the cheapest one i could find,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Much as I hate the idea of a hawk taking out a turkey, it would have been cool to watch the encounter with your deke!
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Cool !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've heard of a "chicken hawk", but a "turkey hawk"??????????? :shock:
wabi
secret

Post by secret »

Start Filming your hunts! That would have been once in a lifetime footage. Excellent Story.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
chaser

Post by chaser »

Last moose season I had a red tailed hawk come at me. I was sitting real still on this swamp, there had been a mouse crawling over me a little earlier. I moved my gloved fingers a little and looked up, I saw the hawk circling the swamp and then I noticed it was on final approach ! It was coming straight for me talons swinging forward when I moved . I swear both our eyes met and I'm not sure who's were bugging out more, the hawk swooped so close to me that I felt the breeze from his wings. It was a very cool moment for me. That's the thing about turkeys, everyone/thing wants to eat them. :D

Chaser
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

That must have been neat to witness!
I picked out a potential spot this past weekend but found a hawks nest a few trees behind where it was. Perhaps thats why im not seeing birds :?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

The wife and I were hunting little thunder chickens ( grouse) She shot one on the road about 40yardd ahead of us. As she went to get it a huge owl swooped past here head and flew away with the chicken.
The words that came out of that sweet little body!! I'm sure a sailor would have blushed :shock: :oops:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a cool encounter with nature for sure strum! :shock:
Pretty good encounters the other folks had as well.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I was in my tree stand one morning half asleep and a sharp-shinned hawk decided the little orange Buckmasters emblem on my hat must be a small bird. He came from my left side and almost knocked my hat off my head. I grabbed my hat and turned to see where he was and he was getting ready to hit me again. I waved my arms and he flew off. I wasn't half asleep anymore! Gary
Mr. Dynamite

Post by Mr. Dynamite »

hankenhunter wrote:To this day I still wonder if that hawk was in cahoots with the ravens.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That was good a good story!
Want to buy a K98 Mauser 8mm. If you have an old one sitting around someone brought back from the war please message me!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

That's a cool story!! Another one of those moments that can only be witnessed when you are in the woods not on the couch.

I had a Coopers hawk scare the crap out of me while bear hunting. In my stand, the air was still all was quiet, except for a few small sparrows and chickadees out in front of me.. All of a sudden this loud WOOOOSH comes from above and straight down the tree I am in. What the....He tried a sneek attack on the little birds and wound up sitting on a branch three feet below me.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"