Best arrow . . .

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Best arrow . . .

Post by sumner4991 »

I saw in another thread some opinions of which arrow shafts are the very best. I have used Gold Tip Laser IIs, Thunderbolts and Powerbolts. As far as flight, there was so little difference that I didn't notice. However, the Gold Tips didn't fair as well in the breakage catagory. I've had 5 Gold Tip Laser IIs break. I've yet to break a Powerbolt or Thunderbolt. I'm sure they break, but, for whatever the reason they have survived. That's from just target shooting.

What's your favorite shaft and why.

I like the Easton Powerbolts best. I have yet to find one that isn't straight(out of three dozen). They are accurate, strong and relatively inexpensive.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Re: Best arrow . . .

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I like the GT Laser II's for their weight system. That gives me a lot of flexibility. FOr sure they are much more prone to breakage since Gold Tip made them thinner. I have also shot the Beaman Thunderbolts. A very sturdy arrow but the standard build had too little FOC for me.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

I like mine the best when they have blood on them!
rt2bowhunter

Post by rt2bowhunter »

sumner4991 wrote:I saw in another thread some opinions of which arrow shafts are the very best. I have used Gold Tip Laser IIs, Thunderbolts and Powerbolts. As far as flight, there was so little difference that I didn't notice. However, the Gold Tips didn't fair as well in the breakage catagory. I've had 5 Gold Tip Laser IIs break. I've yet to break a Powerbolt or Thunderbolt. I'm sure they break, but, for whatever the reason they have survived. That's from just target shooting.

What's your favorite shaft and why.

I like the Easton Powerbolts best. I have yet to find one that isn't straight(out of three dozen). They are accurate, strong and relatively inexpensive.
I agree I have some Easton Powerbolts with brass inserts.They are some tough arrows and shoot great.
M&M

Post by M&M »

wheelie wrote:I like mine the best when they have blood on them!
I agree! but I like the good ole easton alum. 2216
M&M
Boo

Post by Boo »

Carbon Express Maxima Hunters. Built in weight forward and a shaft that is very tough.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Horizontal Hunter wrote:I like the GT Laser II's for their weight system. That gives me a lot of flexibility. FOr sure they are much more prone to breakage since Gold Tip made them thinner. I have also shot the Beaman Thunderbolts. A very sturdy arrow but the standard build had too little FOC for me.

Bob

I didn't realize they had a weight system . . .what is it?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

All of Gold Tips inserts are threaded to accept their stackable weights which come in 10g, 20g, and 50g. You can accomplish the same thing with threaded rod (440 IIRC). There are a few builds I use them on for friends that want more FOC but want to stay with a 100g broadhead for the selection. I always use some Loctite when I put them together.

I guess you can't post URL's anymore so you will have to cut and paste the link:

http://www.goldtip.com/componentlanding.aspx?page=3

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
secret

Post by secret »

Code: Select all

http://www.goldtip.com/category.aspx?catid=13
Take your pick..All killers of all weights and sizes.
Exocet 200
gt lazer 2 [turkey] gt lazer 4 [deer]
wasp sst hammers
groundpounder
lumizone
ff string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Thanks secret, I'd heard of them, just didn't realize they were a Gold Tip product.

I'm not currently in the market for new arrows . . .just wanted to see why people were using what they are using. I use the Powerbolts for quality and value.

I liked the Gold Tips because they were lite and I enjoyed the speed. However, I did not like the cracking and breaking. I could not afford the loss.

I wanted to try the Maxima Hunters, but, got scared off by the price tag. :shock:

Since the Gold Tips were breaking and cracking, I wanted a heavier shaft. Ended up with Thunderbolts and Easton eventually bought them out and I end up with Powerbolts(Powerbolts and Thunderbolts are identical, same factory, same specs).

I can see the advantage of the Gold Tip system, especially if you were shooting small game and very large game and wanted the extra weight for the bigger game(penetration).

FOC is talked about here as if it's a "cure all" sometimes. You can get too much amd your arrows will take a nose dive. There are definite trade offs in everything we do to our bows. Since I'm shooting mechanicals, the FOC really doesn't need to be so heavy and my down range trajectory will benefit.

Basically, not much has changed over the last five years as far as shafts go, right? Other than several members using the Firebolts that come in the right stuff packages. . .nothing new?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I like other ppl's cast-off free'be's that are donated to my mis match club fer my hunting pleasure. I haven't bought any in several yrs. Now fer the facts of living here i have a 70-30 % breakage cause of my lovely rocks. I just have to accept the losses & smile at the memorys of the tick toters i kill & eat :lol: No outstanding favorite at this time!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

i guess i'm old school and have only used easton XX75 alum since 1980 :lol: ....K.I.S.S. if it ain't broke, why try to fix it :wink: .......bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
strum

Post by strum »

while we are on the subject ..i just bought some gt shafts from wyverns..came with brass inserts. im thinking ..do i realy need that heavy insert?..I know more weight = more k energy but my good ness. im shooting a exomax ..and i will never take a shot past 30 yards.. even at home i shoot 20 and 30..do yall use the brass for more k energy or do they fly better?..maybe ill get some alum and do both see what i like,,
right now im into the speed..not for bragging but for straight ,fast hits..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

strum wrote:while we are on the subject ..i just bought some gt shafts from wyverns..came with brass inserts. im thinking ..do i realy need that heavy insert?..I know more weight = more k energy but my good ness. im shooting a exomax ..and i will never take a shot past 30 yards.. even at home i shoot 20 and 30..do yall use the brass for more k energy or do they fly better?..maybe ill get some alum and do both see what i like,,
You may have read & looked at the thread of hog hunt awshucks planter & me. Pic's in there where they beat me at 30 yds. Windy & i was shooting GT II with alum. front inserts. Too me they suck big time in any windy conditions! Now if'en you shoot 150 gr BH or more they would do ok just my opinion & findings.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

vixenmaster wrote:
strum wrote:while we are on the subject ..i just bought some gt shafts from wyverns..came with brass inserts. im thinking ..do i realy need that heavy insert?..I know more weight = more k energy but my good ness. im shooting a exomax ..and i will never take a shot past 30 yards.. even at home i shoot 20 and 30..do yall use the brass for more k energy or do they fly better?..maybe ill get some alum and do both see what i like,,
You may have read & looked at the thread of hog hunt awshucks planter & me. Pic's in there where they beat me at 30 yds. Windy & i was shooting GT II with alum. front inserts. Too me they suck big time in any windy conditions! Now if'en you shoot 150 gr BH or more they would do ok just my opinion & findings.
awshucks and planter said it was talent . . .had nothing to do with FOC. :lol: :lol:

Speed is more accurate in windy weather . . .all else being equal . . .were they shooting faster bows?

The only way to test for sure is have the same bow, same shooter, same distance, same everything except FOC . . .you would also need a constant wind.

I can not tell a difference between by arrow set-ups as far as accuracy goes. They all are deadly.

Vixenmaster . . .on the subject of your odd arrows . . .do you make them all the same weight? Do the different makes fly the same?

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen