S5 or STS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Grey Ghost

S5 or STS

Post by Grey Ghost »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anybody has experience with S5 silencing system from Excalibur? The Excalibur site doesn't give a lot of detail. Is there anyway to adjust the length? I see the STS system from another company and from what i read you can adjust the length with some additional fitting. If anybody has experience with both can you tell me how they compare ( noise, quality, fit and installation)? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Boo

Re: S5 or STS

Post by Boo »

There is no need to adjust the string height. Once a string stopper has been installed variations in brace height will only change speed to a very small degree. The S5 has the widest surface and has no moving parts. It doesn't get any better than that!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bambiblaster

Post by Bambiblaster »

I like the S5 better had to make zero adjustments :D and the STS I could never get it just quite right (maybe just me :roll: ) but the easier the better for me...
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

where does the S5 set your brace height at, isn't it a one brace height type of thing........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
md2tx

Post by md2tx »

I had the STS system and it work ok. But i switched to the S5 because i knew anything excalibur put out would be great. The S5 definately quiets the bow down more, the vibration is almost none, The bow makes a dull thud. I am EXTREMELY pleased with the S5 over the STS. The brace height with S5 is about 2 string widths from the top, with the STS it was at the high line. I didnt want to cut the rods to lower the brace height. I would with out a doubt say the S5 is superior....
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

I find the s5 moderately louder than the NGSS similar bumpers to the STS.(not that it will make a hoot of difference in a hunting situation at reasonable ranges)
Was shooting with a member here and his Exomax with NGSS was quieter than my Phoenix with S5 Both with Boo strings.

The S5 is an Excal product so you know it is a great match for your bow.
Tenpoint Matrix
Boo

Post by Boo »

Dereck wrote:I find the s5 moderately louder than the NGSS similar bumpers to the STS.(not that it will make a hoot of difference in a hunting situation at reasonable ranges)
Was shooting with a member here and his Exomax with NGSS was quieter than my Phoenix with S5 Both with Boo strings.

The S5 is an Excal product so you know it is a great match for your bow.
Odd, Dereck. Must have been something else causing the noise difference. With string stoppers the wider and softer bumpers suppress noise and shock. That been said, you can't beat simplicity!
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Don't get me wrong I like my S5 they are fool proof.(and that is good for me) :D
I did a complete bolt check and did find my sling was giving some noise at the swivals.Took that off and still more noise.
My Bow is still far quieter than a stock bow without stoppers.
Tenpoint Matrix
strum

Post by strum »

Dereck wrote:Don't get me wrong I like my S5 they are fool proof.(and that is good for me) :D
I did a complete bolt check and did find my sling was giving some noise at the swivals.Took that off and still more noise.
i think somthin is wrong with yer pheonix..i suggest you send it to me for a free checkup ..i should have it back too you in 5-10 years fixed and ready to go,,
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

strum wrote:
Dereck wrote:Don't get me wrong I like my S5 they are fool proof.(and that is good for me) :D
i think somthin is wrong with yer pheonix..i suggest you send it to me for a free checkup ..i should have it back too you in 5-10 years fixed and ready to go,,
I will think about your offer in the mean time I will keep shooting it as is. :D
Tenpoint Matrix
takem

Post by takem »

I have the S5 coming monday. Can't wait to try it.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I found a difference between the S5 and the NGSS too. I was given a set of the S5 to try, and they do function very well and look great doing it.
The NGSS do a better job at reducing the vibration. I think it comes down to the ability to adjust your brace height and make it compatable with your bow. We all know that each bow has it's own "sweet spot" where the brace height seems to have the most pleasant affect on vibration, once that spot is found you can tweek the NGSS to conform to that sweet spot, and in my opinion it makes a huge difference.
The original STS is a crudly made POS, I tried those too. Between the hacksaw, crappy rubber and company drama they quickly found their way to the back of a drawer.
I really wish that Excalibur made the S5 adjustable, those who have that ability with the NGSS know exactly what I am talking about. With an allen wrench you can achievee the perfect brace height in 5 seconds. I use a business card, set my brace height where it suits my bow the best, put the card on the serving and tighten, it's over. No muss, no fuss and no moving parts.
The S5 is a great tool, and the difference is minimal to most ears, but those who like to tweek would appreciate the ability to make an adjustment.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

Boo wrote:There is no need to adjust the string height. Once a string stopper has been installed variations in brace height will only change speed to a very small degree. The S5 has the widest surface and has no moving parts. It doesn't get any better than that!
can the s5 be used with boo-strings ?

i have sent you an email with questions about your strings

2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

gendoc wrote:
Boo wrote:There is no need to adjust the string height. Once a string stopper has been installed variations in brace height will only change speed to a very small degree. The S5 has the widest surface and has no moving parts. It doesn't get any better than that!
can the s5 be used with boo-strings ?

i have sent you an email with questions about your strings

you bet, just ask dash. they work great, even better served with cat whiskers, you will be able to tell the diffrence..foresure
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Boo

Post by Boo »

The S5 is a better product than anything else out there.
Do not think that a more complex product is better. A more complex products has more to go wrong.
The S5 will suppress more and last longer because it is wider.
Once a string stopper is installed the sweet spot is a non-issue. The string is stopped cold so the whole principle of a sweet spot does not apply to the string or brace height.
The S5 bumpers were formulated by Simms Laboratory who develop products for noise and vibration for a living.