Can't get new Axiom to cock.....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sacfo

Can't get new Axiom to cock.....

Post by sacfo »

I am new to crossbows, bought the Axiom SMF kit/scope. Watched the DVD enclosed, Youtube info and so on. Still can't get the Axiom to cock. The kit went
together fine, just can't get it to cock using the rope cocking aid. It is like the string goes as far up as is possible, it just doesn't "lock" into place. I figure I have missed a step during the installation or something.

Any advice appreciated and if I made a mistake in the posting, sorry about that, my first post here.....Dave
Bob64

Re: Can't get new Axiom to cock.....

Post by Bob64 »

I think the safety has to be in the "fire" position. I THINK!!!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

You are right Bob. Click saftey off, then cock it and turn saftey on. Make sure is string is going underneath the arrow retainer.
sacfo

Post by sacfo »

The safety is off. But the part about having the the cocking rope placed properly on groove under safety has me stumped. "Under safety"?? Can you enlighten me on this one Hank? Any photos on the web showing this?

Oh, I have another problem, I pulled my right bicep off the bone last October and I am not healthy enough for the surgery to sew it back on, so I will have to live with less strength in the right arm. A crank is probably in my future. I am 65 and not in the best of health, just got the Axiom to enjoy in my back yard (over an acre in size) and while camping.

Since I won't be hunting, etc. --- any suggestions as to what I should get would be appreciated.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Take yer safety off & turn yer rope hooks where you can see the openslot pull up until you feel n hear it click. Then push safety on. Yer rope should go under the arrow retainer spring
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sacfo

Post by sacfo »

Got it Hank, thanks, got a friend over and we have been shooting it. Deadly accurate at 40 yards, great penetration into hay bales.

We found the groove and then the video on Youtube made sense. He has to cock it for me, my ruptured tendon (distal) on the right bicep won't take it. A crank
will be ordered asap. Love the Axiom. Wife can't wait to shoot it.

Thanks again....
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Thats great to hear y'all got it cocked & shooting well.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sacfo

Post by sacfo »

My buddy wants an Equinox if I remember correctly, he was impressed with the Axiom. He was still talking about the accuracy when I dropped him off at his place. Forty yards .... never shot a cross bow before and he put 4 out 4 in a 6" square. Me too. Amazing to see advertising come true isn't it!!!

Now to figure out what I will need for backyard shooting: deck and string wax, a C2 crank, crossbow case (??), dissipator bars assembly and maybe a stand. With Father's day (5 adult kids) and my birthday coming up in the next few months, the appropriate amount of whining and sniveling should do it. :)

Anything else?
bommer

Post by bommer »

There was a cranker on the trader part of this forum,don't know if it sold. Good luck I know what you are going thru, take care John
chaser

Post by chaser »

You might also try to not use your arms to pull the rope. I know that sounds strange but keep your arms relatively straight and use the bigger muscles of your back and shoulders to pull the rope up to the cocking position. Assuming you have fairly good integrity in those areas. This should take some of the stress off your bicep. Good luck ! :D

Chaser
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Shortening the rope so the string must be pulled up to the second hook some 4-6"s reduces the distance of the pull making it easier for my bum shoulders....and is a handy way to keep your cocker with the bow when not in use.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sacfo

Post by sacfo »

Hank, you are going to get me into more trouble if I am not careful.

As I said, once we figured out where the cocking aid was supposed to be put, it is much easier. I can cock it, but it hurts my right elbow/bicep and I don't want to tear the last bit of it off.

I think the best price I saw for the crank (C2) was in the $123-$126 range. Next month I reckon.

I am still amazed at the power and accuracy of this unit. (As is my friend).

Do any of you use the aluminum bolts for de-cocking the bow? In my case I can shoot the hay bales, but I may need a plan B one day.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Look for the vid uncocking w/ rope cocker. You only use one handle/hook, can be your 'good' arm, and they uncock easier than you're gonna believe until you try it!

Took me months to work up the nerve w/ my Emax. :oops:
"Eze 18:21"
sacfo

Post by sacfo »

awshucks, I ordered a C2 type crank a couple days ago, after I demonstrated the Axiom to my grandson. Wife told me to spend the money, and I did not want to make her mad, so it made a good excuse.

Uncocking any of the Excalibur's with the "rope" sounds exciting. Luckily I can step out on my patio and see 5 bales of hay .... 40 yards away. Easy to unload there.

We have a Portuguese Water Dog (7 years old) who is my Service Dog/Medic Alert Dog/Therapy Dog and all around companion. My wife trains dogs for Vietnam Vets (no charge through our church).... so I was thinking about training her to retrieve the bolts. Fear of her injury and fear of her breaking the bolt convinced me to forget it. When my wife had her knee replaced in 2007, she spent a couple of hours teaching her to take the clothes out of the dryer, put them in a basket, then pull the basket to the back of our house. I have photos. This little girl (Tolly) is smarter than some of our kids. She has saved my life several times already. But to pull my bolts out of a hay bale??? I dunno.

Thanks for the suggestion....