Help: Dry Fire Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SScott

Help: Dry Fire Question

Post by SScott »

So, I want to climb under a rock and never admit to this, but in the interest of my crossbow’s health, I will post the following. I've taken my new phoenix on four different occasions now. I clean it with break free clp and wd-40 after every use; I wax the string after every shooting session and I lube the rail after every three shots; I have watched the instructional video three times, and I pride myself on being meticulous, but I had a really bad day today, and I dry fired not once, but twice. The second time, I was thinking about the first time... about fifteen minutes earlier. The terrible thing is, I even remember to put the safety on after cocking the bow each time! I forgot the bloody arrow!

I can't find any cracks. I had the owner at the range look it over, and he said he saw nothing wrong with it, but he said that with a dry fire, anything could happen. I shot my bow about 48 times at the range today, probably eighteen times after the dry fires occured. I'm very worried... The only positive I note is that I am using the basic string, and not the fast flight string on the bow. Could something horrible happen to my bow at a later date, or is it probably okay? I note that the instructional video says you can "dry fire until the cows come home with the excel string." I hope this is true… I do note that the string did not fly off my bow, as it did the one time I dry fired my longbow. Is this good or bad?

Is there anything else I should be doing to make sure the limbs are okay?

Thanks,

Steve
Pydpiper

Re: Help: Dry Fire Question

Post by Pydpiper »

It's over. No damage. Have fun!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Take a cottonball run it over yer limbs it will snag any splinters present & let you knowed where they be. If'en no splinters yer in like Flint! :lol: I wouldn't sweat & yer in the special dryfire club now!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

SScott wrote:and I dry fired not once, but twice. The second time, I was thinking about the first time...
:lol: Welcome to the club Steve, we have many members. and thanks for making me grin! If you didnt have any damage immediately show on the limbs then your bow is ok and will be ok, just dont do it again!!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:
SScott wrote:and I dry fired not once, but twice. The second time, I was thinking about the first time...
:lol: Welcome to the club Steve, we have many members. and thanks for making me grin! If you didnt have any damage immediately show on the limbs then your bow is ok and will be ok, just dont do it again!!!

thats exacty what i did last year :x got so messed up about the first one i did it again.. :oops: felt like i had my head up my :roll:
welcome to the club your with good company..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
SScott

Post by SScott »

Thanks for the help... I probably hit the panic button there. I ran a cotton ball over it, and i didn't see anything, so with luck everything will be okay :knock on wood:. So while the bow seems okay, I think my sanity might have taken a hit.
SScott

Post by SScott »

strum wrote:
one shot scott wrote:

thats exacty what i did last year :x got so messed up about the first one i did it again.. :oops: felt like i had my head up my :roll:
Thanks, and as bad as this sounds, that actually makes me feel a little better. I
FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

To ease your worries just remind yourself that you own an Excal, not a Barnett :wink:
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the club! You're in good company! :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

have never dry fired my exomax, but im sure at some point thats bound to happen, should be ok know many who have dry fired , no probs tough bows
wabi

Post by wabi »

Chances are the bow (limbs) are still fine. The lower poundage bows (Vixen & Phoenix) are even more resistant to damage from a dry-fire.

I would suggest a new string, though. There is always a possibility of broken strands under the serving and on an endless loop string there are only half the strands in the loops. Never had a string break, but I've always thrown a dry-fired string away and not re-used it.
wabi
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Welcome to the club. You and your crossbow will be fine.
Raymond
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Welcome to the club!!! :D

Had my first dryfire with my pheonix not to long ago except I was using a Boo custom string! No damage to the bow, just my ego!! :wink:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

strum wrote:
one shot scott wrote:

Im Glad it was your Head strum and not that carrot :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

When doing the cottonball test . . .the limbs need to be cocked, just don't pull the trigger while testing.

You are most likely OK.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen