Tree Stands

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bambiblaster

Re: Tree Stands

Post by Bambiblaster »

ooooppps
Last edited by Bambiblaster on Fri May 20, 2011 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXCAL VORTEX
S5
VARI-ZONE
LUMINOCK FIREBOLTS
CROSS TRICKS
WYVERN QUIVER MOUNT
Treelimb 3-Arrow Quiver
Bob1961 Red Cocking Rope
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I have a Big Game Big Buddy 15 foot Ladder Stand. Price was reasonable and I have the Bushnell Trophy Cam.
Raymond
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Started using ladder stands 2 seasons ago - the cheap bare bones ones from Bass Pro, with no rails, no extras. Was terrified the first few times in them. But I love 'em now!

Didn't take long to get used to being up there and moving with the wind. It went from being a scary challenge to being my happy place. :D

I have a Summit Viper climber too which is very comfy, but I don't enjoy hauling it around.

My Ontario whitetail curse :roll: aside, I've had good close encounters with a ground blind. They're comfy, sheltered in wind and rain, you can fidget, read a book, nod off, you can even run a heater on the brutally cold days.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I think most will agree being up in a tree is the place to be. You can see more, and your scent hopefully floats upward and away. Lone wolf seems to be the most popular. As you get older the ladder stand will work best. Young and monkey a hang on or climber. Older people tend to like the ground. Nothing wrong with the ground in fact it can get quit hairy at times but your scent is low and your sight is limited. Good Luck whichever you choose. :)
RANGER94

Post by RANGER94 »

I use both ladders and climbers. If I am hunting in area for several days, I set up the ladder. It is from Dick's sporting goods and has a shooting rail. For the climbers, I am a API fan, even though they are heavier, I prefer the chain around the tree. Either way - Always, Always use a safety harness. I use one from Hunter Safety.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I've hunted out of tree stands for years .Climbers, hangers ,ladders Now my wife would like it if I stayed on the ground more .So my pop-up has worked ok the last few years .With this being my first season with the X-Cal ,I hope to get off my shots a bit easier, I don't have alot of room in my blinds.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

Myself I found that tree stands better than ground blinds for mature animals. If using a ladder stand put it up early enough so that the animals can feel safe around it .
If you are hunting on public land remember to put a good lock on your tree stands because they can disappear . I have had good luck from the ground but using my turkey seat not the ground blind .
They are both very good but in the end it all comes down to the lay of the land .Is the bush to tight for aground blind or do you need up in the air so you can see?
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

i use ground blinds tree stands and climbers if youchoose ground blind get biggest one ya can get first thing i learned same with ladder stands have 2 man gorilla they are tough and has been up 12 years now and still solid faded but solid , if ya get ladder stand good to drape camo material around rail helps conceal more , but whatever ya get make sure your comfy, i have a large bone collector blind and have killed lots of turkeys lots of deer and a few pigs bigger is better!!!!!!
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yup lay of the land dictates what you use . Some here use climbing stands but that is limited to straight limbless trees . Others like blinds but in heavy cover they are not the best . I personally like stands but as Close Up stated you need a good lock to deter thieves .
Notice I said deter because a dishonest thief will still steal it . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

It's all been said, I've been high, low and in between with a lot of different brands of climbers and ladder stands, to me they all work. I use moultrie trail cams, they're easy on your wallet and they get the job done.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

round here we use shoot'n houses. we also have ladder stands.
this summer we have to rebuild a few houses that have been well used for 7-8 years. we hunt them year round for hawg & kiyots. and of course whitetail in there respected season.
the shoot'n houses are wood framed and sided they are about 6ft off the ground with carpet on the floors and bottom window ledges. windows have flip up doors for securing when not used. they are rectangle windows 6-8" high x 36" long on 3 sides. we use camo netting as curtains. shingle roofs for low noise in tha rain. most all of them are placed on the south side of our food plots. strudy braced 3' wide steps for ease of climbing and finally all of them have comfortable office (computer) chairs. we like our houses !!!! :wink:
oh-yeah !!! i bout forgot... we like timber eye game cams. few years ago
cabelas had them on sale for $79 ea :shock: regular was 149.
so we got 6 of them and they have never give us one bit of trouble
ok, i finished now :)
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.