What sighting system do you use?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

What is your choice of sighting system on your crossbow?

Excalibur Varizone
43%
Excalibur Maxzone or Dropzone
27%
Regular sights that came with your crossbow(pin/peep, etc.)
12%
Red Dot scope/sight
6%
Standard muzzle loader, rifle/air rifle scope
4%
Other brand of crossbow scope(Horton, Barnett, etc.)
8%

Total votes: 98

Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Partikle,

The Maxzone is a fixed power scope calibrated "for bows over 300 fps", you will find they work fine on an Exomag especially with arrows shooting about 325 fps.

The Varizone is a variable power scope that can be calibrated for any bow between 250-350 fps.

This is a great scope for any crossbow and I highly recommend it for the few extra bucks it costs.

Mike
10Ring

Re: Which Scope is better?

Post by 10Ring »

Partikle wrote:What's the difference between the Maxzone and the Varizone? When I purchase my new setup which one would you recommend? (Assuming it will be mounted on an Exomag.)
The Max Zone's range markers for 30, 40 and 50 yards are at fixed distances, set up for crossbows whose velocity exceeeds 300 FPS. I do not recall what the exact velocity they are set up for.

A Max Zone will be "on" with the yardage marks at a particular velocity range/

The Vari Zone is a variable power scope that is marked in velicities rather than magnification power. As the power ring is turned, the yardage markers stay at a fixed spacing and compensate for different trajectories. These can be adjusted to bolt velocities from 250 to 350 FPS.

I have a Vari Zone on my newer Exocet that I use for 3D. My Exocet hits the 300 FPS OAA max. velocity for 3D, 300 FPS with a 385 grain bolt. With the Vari Zone set at 300 FPS, it is "on" exactly at 30, 40 and 50 yards when the crosshairs are set at 20 yards.

The Vari is great if you ever change bolt weights and alter your velocity.

I have found it to be an excellent scope and have never spoke to anyone that did not like theirs.

The max Zone is a bit less costly and a bit simpler so the choice is yours.

When I buy another crossbow scope for me, it will be another Vari Zone. :lol:
10Ring
Partikle

Re: Scope Choice

Post by Partikle »

Thanks Guys.

(I'm new to bow hunting.) And you would definitly take a scope over a red dot? For fast rifle shots I can find my target quicker with a red dot then with my scoped rifle.

Nick
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

You will find the range reticles very handy in crossbow hunting situations to compensate for arrow drop. You do not get this feature with a red dot.

Target acquisition is quick because the scopes are very low power. usually you have time to think and take the time for the shot when bowhunting anyway. IMHO.

Mike
Digger

Post by Digger »

Your best bet is the Varizone , it is adjustable for different speeds if you change bolts or go to a different xbow , it adjusts from 250 fps to 350 fps. the maxzone is built for xbow of 300 fps or more. I have more than one xbow and con swap from one to another with the Vzone.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity

Post by Guest »

The 10pt 165 lbs.woodsman+ w/accudraw is scoped with a horton multi-reticle 4x32mm. 20 and 30 yards are dead on. 40 and 50 yard reitcles are about 5" high. I've shot this bow for three years now so I know to compensate for the greater yardages, but I'd like to put a Vari zone on it if you guys think it will make all the difference.
Plus, then it would be more marketable if I decide to sell it and buy an 175 lbs. Exocet. :D
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

Carl, sure it would make a difference! All your lines at 20, 30, 40, 50 yards would be dead on! Plus you will have a much wider field of view than the Horton Scope! :twisted: ...and the future Exocet will be...PERFECT!
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
Evan

Post by Evan »

Partikle,

You should use the MaxZone on your Exomag. The DropZone is for the slower bows (Vixen/Exocet).

I have had the same experience as 10Ring. Bought my Vixen in 2001 with a DropZone, have changed strings several times but since I set this bow up have never touched the scope. Has maintained its accuracy since new.

Evan
Partikle

Post by Partikle »

Evan,

You say maxzone and the others say varizone? It's only 30 bucks more so I think I'll go for the varizone if most of you think that is the way to go.

Nick
BigBear

Re: What sighting system do you use?

Post by BigBear »

Excalibur Varizone for me too :) :wink:
Excalibur Micro Mag 340
Quill Bolts
125gr Slick Trick broadheads
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Howard

Sights

Post by Howard »

MaxZone on the E-mag, DropZone on the Vixen.
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

Evan wrote:Partikle,

You should use the MaxZone on your Exomag. The DropZone is for the slower bows (Vixen/Exocet).
Evan
I use the MaxZone on my Exocet,,( as it is rated over 300fps) I thought the Drop Zone was for Bows shooting under 300FPS ?
LoneWolf

Post by LoneWolf »

deleted

LW
Last edited by LoneWolf on Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Varizones on both my Exomag and Vixen. I use to have a Maxzone when I had my Exocet, but now I'd buy nothing but Varizones, they are so versatile and IMHO the best bang for your buck .
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.