cross border travel

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

gundog

cross border travel

Post by gundog »

I am thinking of going to the USA for a bit of a vaction. Does a person dare take their crossbow with them.
Conserve game hunt with a trained dog
GaryM

Re: cross border travel

Post by GaryM »

Hmmm.... A Canadian tourist with a crossbow. Do you plan on going to a crossbow shoot somewhere? If I was a border guard I would be thinking RED FLAG! Gary
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

There is no law preventing you from bringing a bow of any kind over the border, there is also no paperwork involved. You don't have to tell them you have it, but like mentioned, be prepared to answer some questions if they do come across it.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

The Border Guards do not like to be able to look into your car and see anything weapon related, arrows, broadheads, bows . . .they just requested that I cover them up. They said if I didn't then I could be a victim of robbery. However, they said nothing about the bow and arrows being illegal or anything . . .just concerned about me being robbed. Probably good advice when hauling anything of value.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I would recommend registering it at Canadian customs before crossing to the U.S. This will prove it's yours and that you didn't buy it while visiting in the states. Can save you being hassled when re-entering Canada.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

you want to come here lol the good hunting is in canada !!!!!!!!
munch

Post by munch »

off topic but hope everything is ok at your place with all the flooding how did you fare
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
PABOWDUDE60

Post by PABOWDUDE60 »

We had no problems either way last week on our Bear hunt.
09 Exomax
Lumizone
Boo String
Ground Pounder Mount
Crazy Farmer Alum Camo Arrows With Bolt Cutter BHs
2016 Bull Dog 400 diablo bolts bolt cutters
RAGS

Post by RAGS »

Hey Gundog,
I cross into the states twice a year with my crossbow. Yes, you do have to declare all firearms as soon as you pass over your passport - there is a sign saying so at each crossing. The guards do not take kindly if you happen to forget to tell them you are carrying a firearm and they find out during their routine questions. I speak from experience. I spent 3 hours (that i will never get back) at the Port Huron boarder due to this issue.
Also if you are crossing into Michigan you will need a licence to hunt even though you may not be hunting. The best and cheapest to get is the game bird preserve licence which is about $15 (plus $1 for their sportsman card - all printable from their website). You can get this online easily.
I now do this every time I go through Michigan on my way to Thunder Bay and it is seemless each time.
I guess you could take your chances but.............