Some cool pictures ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Some cool pictures ...

Post by R.J. »

Up till this year , I've only got a few decent spotted fawn pictures ( and usually fawns that were weeks old , like this one )

Then I got the cool " 2 days " old fawn pictures on Monday ..

And yesterday after work , I was hiking by the river when I saw another doe with newly dropped fawn ( you can really see how small the fawn is beside the doe )

The doe busted out and when I walked up , I got two frames of the fawn hiding in the grass .

I backed off and within 5 mins the doe circled back to pick up the fawn ...

A few days ago , I nearly had a heart attack when I was walking along a bushline and a hen jturkey umped out to wing beat me ... exposing her nest with 14 eggs .

Yesterday after work , I picked up the farmer ( he likes to see that kinda stuff on his property ) and drove back to show him the nest ... we stayed back and I got this picture of the hen tucked back into the nest .

A few other cool critter pictures from past seasons ...

And tonight , I was puttering in the yard and took a few pic's of my "home crew" .
( That's our lab " Jade " , and our daughters dog " Luna " = she is a recent pound adoption , part cattle dog / part shepard ? )

" Spike " is still around ...

And " Gus " runs with the dogs as well ...

" Luna " must have the herding instinct in her , beacuse she is always trying to herd " Gus "

It's a big change for " Luna " ... from being a stray , dropped off at the pound and now enjoying some free range on our 100 acre farm ... she seems real happy , and is one of the 1st one at the back door when it is super time .

Well thats the last of the pictures on my memory card ... will check in next week . Good luck to all in the last few days of our Ontario turkey season !

Page Break ... Saturday May 28th ( the last morning I was out during the Ontario turkey season )

Forum member TPM said .. "Hey RJ , why don't you stay up all night playing cards , and meet me for a Saturday morning turkey hunt "! ( well maybe it wasn't exactly the way it went down ... :oops: )

But I did drive to the pre-determined meeting spot ... caught about 20 mins sleep in my truck .. TPM arrived , we loaded gear from his rig to mine and headed out to a new spot Sandman and I had scouted earlier this week .

Walked across the field in the darkeness ... stopped and set up at a corner section where I had seen birds twice previously ...

The morning was wicked foggy ... we had gobblers sound off in front and behind us ... we had 3 hens pecking out front at first light .... then a beauty Tom showed up and gave us a show for about a half hour ( well out of gun range and too foggy for pictures ) .

No amount of calling was drawing him away from his harem ... although one hen did break off and check us out ... here one picture that turned out , taken out of the blind window .

And the only other picture that did turn out on this dull / foggy morning , was one frame of a jack rabbit running over the hayfield hill ...

As hunters , we learn something new , every time we head out into the field ...

Today TPM said he learned " The hen turkey was attracted by our calling , was not spooked by our decoy , or by the camera chatter ( focusing / beeping / clicking etc. as it advanced frame ) ... and she didn't seem to mind the snoring during RJ's power naps ! :lol: :lol:

Good luck again > all that venture out to chase turkeys over the last three days of our Ontario Spring Turkey Season !
Last edited by R.J. on Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
hikerman

Re: Some cool pictures ...

Post by hikerman »

Thanks! great pictures!!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

How did Gus become part of the family did he just show up one day or was he raised from a polt?
Tenpoint Matrix
TPM

Post by TPM »

Great pics! But you better cut the grass before you lose Spike. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It always amazes me how quickly the fawns can be up and running . . .same goes for the mommy.

Great pictures.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:) Thanks Rick for sharing the pictures . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Great pics, love your pets! :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Those are really nice pics. Looks like Luna won life's lottery. 100 acres sure beats a 4' X 6' cage at the pound. Gary
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Nice pictures, thanks for sharing. :) :)
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Excellent pictures!!
I wonder what the turtle and duck on the log are chatting about?? :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
munch

Post by munch »

some great pics rj i like the one with the rabbit in the puddle .have you ever tryed doing pics for outdoor magazines .would be a nice job to retire and just hunt and photograph
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Great pic's, you do well with yer photography, thx fer sharing
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Very cool pics!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Cool pics RJ---- That bull frog would look good in hot grease...yum yum
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Thanks all ...

munch wrote :
some great pics rj i like the one with the rabbit in the puddle .have you ever tryed doing pics for outdoor magazines .would be a nice job to retire and just hunt and photograph
Yep , the rabbit with it's reflection in the puddle is one of my favorites too ...
Someday , when I retire , I was thinking about putting together a small picture book .
" Average guy Ontario Hunter adventures in fieild " ... If I go back far enough , I have info and pictures on pretty well every game animal your average guy encounters in Ontario ... From groundhogs , upland , waterfowl , deer , moose and turkey .

j.krug wrote :
Excellent pictures!!
I wonder what the turtle and duck on the log are chatting about??
:lol: I thought the same when I got that picture !
Actually , some people don't even notice the little painted turtle on the log .
A split second later , the duck flew and the turtle slipped back into the water ... I was just lucky to get a quick frame that made for a unique photo !

GaryM wrote :
Those are really nice pics. Looks like Luna won life's lottery. 100 acres sure beats a 4' X 6' cage at the pound.
Yep ... it warms my heart to see a dog " find it's place " ... we have been through a couple that didn't work out over the years ( and if they have a problem in our household , you know it's a big problem dog ! )

Luna has a great disposition and would fit in anywhere ... she of course has a few little quirks , but from her past , I can see why .... bottom line is she is fitting in great here !

sumner4991 wrote :
It always amazes me how quickly the fawns can be up and running . . .same goes for the mommy.
Yep ... amazing for sure ... they have to be quick onto their feet to survive

Dereck wrote :
How did Gus become part of the family did he just show up one day or was he raised from a polt ?
I picked him up at a livestock auction with a hen " Gertie " a few years back ... and he has been a pet every since .

" Gertie " past away last year and we bought him another mate " Gertie 2 " ... she passed away as well , so " Gus " is a bachlore for now .

Yesterday , a wild hen showed up around the pen ( attracted by " Gus " continued gobbling ) , but she got spooked by the dogs and flew off .

According to the internet , tukeys don't have a long life span , so we will enjoy him while we have him .... It's kinda cool waking up avery morning to a Tom Turkey gobbling alarm clock ! :lol: :lol:

Hoss wrote :
Cool pics RJ---- That bull frog would look good in hot grease...yum yum
Yep , we have a few tasety beauties around here ! ... :lol: :lol:
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "