conservative agenda / long gun registry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

evaughan

conservative agenda / long gun registry

Post by evaughan »

The throne speech will be delivered at 3pm today revealing the new govt's agenda.

It appears they will be announcing that the long gun registry will not be dealt with until fall "or beyond" whatever that means? :evil: First order of business: take the summer off :evil:

They also plan to bow into the lobby pressure of big business farming and dissolve the wheat board, a crushing blow to the family farm :evil: This move will result in a greater competitive advantage for big business farming which in turn will result in more family farms selling out to large scale corporate cash cropping operations. :evil:

Not thrilled by either development :(
excal vortex w/ vari-zone
custom 2219's
BOO custom string
gobblestalker custom calls
WMU's 80,84,86
DirtyGun

Re: conservative agenda / long gun registry

Post by DirtyGun »

The Long Gun Registry can't 'just die'. The bill to kill it must be written in such a manner that a future party in power can not just reverse the decision. The legislation must be completely air tight. That, is why it is going to take until the Fall session before such a bill comes out. When it does, the Long Gun Registry will be dead, for good. It will never be able to be resurrected in its current form.

As for the matter of the Wheat Board and its monopoly, I can not comment as I'm not as informed as I am in other areas.
Stash

Post by Stash »

DirtyGun wrote:The Long Gun Registry can't 'just die'. The bill to kill it must be written in such a manner that a future party in power can not just reverse the decision. The legislation must be completely air tight. That, is why it is going to take until the Fall session before such a bill comes out. When it does, the Long Gun Registry will be dead, for good. It will never be able to be resurrected in its current form.
They already had a bill and although it didn't pass before, why do they need to take another 4 months to write it again? Nobody kept a copy?

I guess they just want to waste time and money registering another few hundred thousand guns prior to the next hunting season.
Bones

Post by Bones »

Pass the current budget, then take the summer off! By the time the registry comes up it will be 4 months or more. We still have an amnesty untill May 2013 it'll go.
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

wouldnt register anything with anyone, your born with a free right to own long guns or any other gun registering is only for when they ban they know who s door to knock on !!!
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Stash wrote:
DirtyGun wrote:The Long Gun Registry can't 'just die'. The bill to kill it must be written in such a manner that a future party in power can not just reverse the decision. The legislation must be completely air tight. That, is why it is going to take until the Fall session before such a bill comes out. When it does, the Long Gun Registry will be dead, for good. It will never be able to be resurrected in its current form.
They already had a bill and although it didn't pass before, why do they need to take another 4 months to write it again? Nobody kept a copy?

I guess they just want to waste time and money registering another few hundred thousand guns prior to the next hunting season.
C-391 was not an 'all encompassing' Bill. C-391 was designed to end any further registration, while the Long Gun Registry was dismantled and legislation was put in place to destroy the current records. C-391 was not going to be an immediate end to the Long Gun Registry. It was designed to bring rural opposition MPs on board, which worked initially, but party lines were towed in the end. Bill C-301, however, which was defeated in 2009, is more along the lines of what the next Bill should look like, which will be more along the lines of reforming the Firearms Act, or possibly making C-68, passed by the Liberals in 1996, obsolete.

Have patience. It's going to happen. But, don't go nuts...it's not like we're suddenly going to get access to machine guns.
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

DirtyGun wrote:Have patience. It's going to happen. But, don't go nuts...it's not like we're suddenly going to get access to machine guns.

Well that's disappointing :wink: :lol:
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
Stash

Post by Stash »

I'm looking at it from the point of view of the poor SOBs who work at gun shops :lol: and will needlessly have to go through yet another season of the hassle of registering gun purchases, for no particular reason except to do it because they haven't gotten around to repealing the legislation.

Kind of sad, though, to see it go, for the sake of the people working at the registry. The people in Miramichi were the ONLY government agency I've ever dealt with on the phone who actually answered my questions immediately, on the spot. Hopefully they will get jobs with the new proposed government payroll center.
DirtyGun

Post by DirtyGun »

Stash wrote:I'm looking at it from the point of view of the poor SOBs who work at gun shops :lol: and will needlessly have to go through yet another season of the hassle of registering gun purchases, for no particular reason except to do it because they haven't gotten around to repealing the legislation.

Kind of sad, though, to see it go, for the sake of the people working at the registry. The people in Miramichi were the ONLY government agency I've ever dealt with on the phone who actually answered my questions immediately, on the spot. Hopefully they will get jobs with the new proposed government payroll center.
All jobs at Miramichi are safe. All of the people there will just be working on other matters within government or in managing other aspects of legal firearms possession. We will still have a handgun registry. That isn't going anywhere anytime soon (even though it's just as useless in terms of preventing crime as the long gun registry is).

And...as I said...patience is needed. These things take time. There will have to be the regular course of bill presentation, open debate, committee presentations, etc. before final reading. A majority government ensures a bill's passing, but, you still have to play by the rules. It's part of living within our Westminster Parliamentary System.
JRS

Post by JRS »

Stash wrote: They already had a bill and although it didn't pass before, why do they need to take another 4 months to write it again? Nobody kept a copy?
The original bill dealt with the elimination of the registry only. Now that the CPC are in charge with a majority, I expect a complete rewrite of the current firearms laws, and that takes time.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

DirtyGun wrote:C-391 was not an 'all encompassing' Bill. C-391 was designed to end any further registration, while the Long Gun Registry was dismantled and legislation was put in place to destroy the current records. C-391 was not going to be an immediate end to the Long Gun Registry. It was designed to bring rural opposition MPs on board, which worked initially, but party lines were towed in the end. Bill C-301, however, which was defeated in 2009, is more along the lines of what the next Bill should look like, which will be more along the lines of reforming the Firearms Act, or possibly making C-68, passed by the Liberals in 1996, obsolete.

Have patience. It's going to happen. But, don't go nuts...it's not like we're suddenly going to get access to machine guns.
I will be very happy when this legislation is passes.
To have all current long gun records destroyed will be excellent and if C-68 is repealed or becomes obsolete I will be ecstatic!! :mrgreen:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads