Old hunting book...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Old hunting book...

Post by TPM »

Over the years I have built up a bit of a library of hunting books. While I enjoy some of the more contemporary writers it's still the old books that intrigue me the most. Writers like Burton Spiller, Nash Buckingham and Charles Norris have a way of conveying the hunting "experience" in manner that modern day writers just don't seem able to. Too much emphasis on "how to" and "journaling" (Today we went out and shot 800 ducks. What a great morning!) :roll: with many of today's writers and not enough emphasis on trying to convey the pure experience of the hunt.
Anyway, enough of my complaining. Last night I was reading through and early edition of an Edwyn Sandys book called "Sporting Sketches". It's a collection of hunting and fishing stories written by Sandys around the turn of the century, most of which appeared on various outdoors publications of the period. In the front of the book is an inscription which reads, " Matt, With love and best wishes, Julia 1910". I would imagine "Matt" was a bit of a sportsman and I would hazard to guess that "Julia" was somewhat supportive of his hobbies. Got me thinking of of some of the wonderful wives (and some husbands) who support us outdoors enthusiasts. I'm talking those spouses who have arranged work schedules, got up at unspeakable hours of the morning to drive us to hunting fields, hosted meals and events for hunting friends, put up with being "Saturday morning breakfast widows", put up with dead animals hanging in the garage or yard, cooked said dead animals in a manner worthy of fine dining and host of other things all so we can enjoy or outdoors addictions to the fullest. Kudo's to you all! Thanks for letting your "other half" come out and play.
BTW, if anyone ever comes across a copy of "Upland Game Birds" by Edwyn Sandys at a reasonable price pick it up for me. I'll gladly reimburse you the cost and shipping. :D
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
wabi

Re: Old hunting book...

Post by wabi »

wabi
lscha

Post by lscha »

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Upland-Game-Bir ... 195wt_1189

If you want this and they won't ship to Canada. Let me know.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Here's a book that is a great read plus wonderful pics. It's called "A Gallery of Waterfowl and Upland Game" by David Maass (painter) and Gene Hill (writer).
Gary
TPM

Post by TPM »

GaryM wrote:Here's a book that is a great read plus wonderful pics. It's called "A Gallery of Waterfowl and Upland Game" by David Maass (painter) and Gene Hill (writer).
Gary
Gary, I have that book and it is great. Gene Hill was a wonderful writer. It's his kind of writing that I miss these days. I have a few of his books, "Mostly Tail Feathers" probably being my favourite. It's a must-read for anyone into bird hunting. Anyone into hunting dogs should read Gene Hill's "Tears and Laughter".
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Don`t sell yourself short there Tim . You have allowed your other half to come out to play as well . It has to be a fine balancing act when both of you enjoy the outdoors . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Doe Master wrote:Don`t sell yourself short there Tim . You have allowed your other half to come out to play as well . It has to be a fine balancing act when both of you enjoy the outdoors . :shock:
You got that right.

I've known a few hunters who believe hunting should be a "guy thing." I was very happy to discover Tim wasn't one of them! :D

Things are a bit different since having Ben - as they should be.

Now it's like 2 people sharing one person's time/opportunities to hunt. We try to share pretty fair and I think it works for us.

Sure it's frustrating sometimes, but "to everything there is a season." Right now it's our season to raise our boy - the #1 priority. Being able to only hunt 1/2 the time is a small price to pay for having Ben in our lives. :D Looking down the road a few years we're hoping all 3 of us will be running out of the house at 3 a.m. to hunt together!

That's where it's nice to have a good library of outdoors books, or come here and read the forum posts - even if you don't leave the house you can still "go hunting". :D
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
OldSkool

Post by OldSkool »

I'm sure that some of you have read Robert Ruark's The Old Man and The Boy. One of my favourite reads, well worth the time.
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Yep ... Great post !

I have a very supportive wife ... and I agree , there is no way I could spend as much time as I do afield without her support .

I go out of my way to let her know , and support her 110 % in her endevors as well .

July 28th this year we will be 27 years married ... we must be doing something right !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

My wonderful wifey is very supportive of my hunting.
She has no interest in hunting...says she could never sit still and be quiet long enough!! :lol: :lol:
She and my 3 girls all enjoy eating the wild game I put on the table from time to time.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads