Shooting sticks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Raymond

Shooting sticks

Post by Raymond »

Hey Folks,
I am going to be using my doghouse blind this fall if everything goes well for me. Is it easier to shoot with shooting stick from the ground blind? If so, with a limited budget what kind of shooting sticks should I be looking to purchase? Also, can I use a regular folding camping chair for my blind? I already have some of those style chairs.
Thanks,
Raymond
agingcrossbower

Re: Shooting sticks

Post by agingcrossbower »

Raymond you can use a wood stick with a Y on top. Serves the same purpose. As far as the chair goes, if its quiet and the right height and comfortable go for it. As long as the arrow gets to where your pointing it nothing else matters. Good hunting. :)
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thanks agingcrossbower, I never thought about a stick with a Y on it. I will go out back today and cut two and let them dry. How long would you cut them? Would you cut them a few inches higher than the bottom of the window opening? Would you peel the bark from them or leave it for natural camo? I will setup my blind today and try shooting out of the blind.
Thanks,
Raymond
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I made my shooting sticks out of fiberglass electric fence posts that I got from the hardware. They were only a couple dollars a piece. They're about the same diameter as a tootsie roll and are lightweight. Sanded and painted them with some paint I had laying around. Drilled a couple holes to secured them together with nylon cord.

I use mine sitting on the ground when coyote hunting.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I just remembered that I seen a way how to make shooting sticks on the AT forum a while ago that was cheap to make a set also.
Raymond
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

houser52 wrote:I made my shooting sticks out of fiberglass electric fence posts that I got from the hardware. They were only a couple dollars a piece. They're about the same diameter as a tootsie roll and are lightweight. Sanded and painted them with some paint I had laying around. Drilled a couple holes to secured them together with nylon cord.

I use mine sitting on the ground when coyote hunting.
If this were on facebook, then I would hit the "I like" button. :D
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

houser52, have you any pictures to show us of those shooting sticks?
Thanks,
Raymond
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Raymond wrote:houser52, have you any pictures to show us of those shooting sticks?
Thanks,
Raymond
They come long but just saw them off with a hacksaw. As I said before I sanded and painted them, then sprayed a clear coat on top. They are not as pretty as they were when I first made them because I keep them in the back of the truck all the time. I'll probably make another set just for ground blind hunting but this time try 3 legs and make it a tripod.

Some of the paint has worn off from being in the back of the truck.

Notice that I took some old gas hose and slipped it over the ends. The poles are just connected with a piece of camo rope I had laying around.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Thanks for the picks good job, they look good. I am presuming that you use them with a gun and not a crossbow. Am I correct? I never thought to make mention that I would be using my Excalibur.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I wonder if the sticks would work with my Excalibur by sitting the stir up on the shooting sticks?
Thanks
Raymond
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I haven't tried my Vortex yet but that's what I'm planning to do when hunting this year out of the ground blind. I don't see why you just can't use the sticks like you would with a rifle. Probably have to modify it to allow for string clearance like making the "V" of the sticks a lot more shallow.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

That's what I was thinking also.
Thanks,
Raymond
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Go to you tube and search for this guy, "bowhunter4e", and then look for his video, " D.I.Y. Shooting Sticks for $4". Quite a nice idea I thought.
Raymond
houser52

Post by houser52 »

Raymond wrote:Go to you tube and search for this guy, "bowhunter4e", and then look for his video, " D.I.Y. Shooting Sticks for $4". Quite a nice idea I thought.
Raymond

Watched the video. Pretty good idea using the tubing on the top of the sticks. That will be something to try. Thanks for the tip.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Budget or not I make my own. Couple of dowels-or even maple saplings, cut to size and dried-and some innertube cut to strips to hold em together.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!