Some tips for buying a SxS shotgun...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TPM

Some tips for buying a SxS shotgun...

Post by TPM »

I recently did a post on another forum in response to someone who was looking at buying an older SxS shotgun. I thought I'd re-post it here in case anyone is ever in the same position.

First, make sure the barrels haven't been cut. The two barrels should be touching at the muzzle. If they're not and there is a filled in gap between the two then they've likely been cut which means you have no choke left.

Next take the barrels off and hang them off your finger by the barrel hook. Give the barrels a flick with your fingernail. They should have a ring to them. If they sound dead then the solder joint holding the barrels together has likely gone bad and the need re-soldering. (big expense). Also look down the rib and make sure it's perfectly straight. If it's "wowed" anywhere along it's length then it has likely come loose sometime in the past and been poorly repaired.

While you have the barrels off look for the gauge/chamber length proof marks. They're located in a flat sided oval on the barrel flats. The first number is the gauge and the second is the chamber length in millimeters. In this case it's 12ga., 76mm (3") chambers. 70mm would be 2 3/4" chambers.

Also check the surface of the barrel hook. This should be smooth and free of any major gouges. Also look for peen marks made by a center punch. This is an old method used by unscrupulous sellers to make a loose hings seem tight.

With the barrels back on but the fore-arm still off, grasp one hand on the grip an the other on the barrels and wiggle. You should not feel any movement or play between the barrels and receiver.
Put the fore-arm back on and open the gun. Again, check for any looseness in the hinge.
Close the gun and look for any gap between the barrel ends and the face of the receiver.

With the gun firmly closed make sure the opening lever is slightly right of center. If it's perfectly centered then the locking mechanism is showing signs of wear. The gun still probably still has lots of life left in it especially if you're not doing and high volume shooting. If it's left of center then the locking mechanism is quite worn and the gun is in need of some major repair.

If all the above checks out then the gun is likely structurally sound and worth considering buying. Always remember with any double gun KEEP THE HINGE PIN AND LOCKING LUGS WELL LUBRICATED. I use a good quality grease but oil works also.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
DirtyGun

Re: Some tips for buying a SxS shotgun...

Post by DirtyGun »

Excellent post Tim.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I'm not looking to buy a sxs, but I liked the informative post TPM.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Very imformative, thanks for posting. :)
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Good post Tim! This is excellant advice that will save buyers a lot of grief. I wish I'd known all of this stuff a long time ago :oops:, but fortunately I've been lucky.
I'd like to add a few more things:

1. Make sure there is no wiggle to the stock. This will reveal itself when doing the action tighness test that Tim described. This can be as minor as a loose stock bolt, but often means fatigued wood.

2. Carefully check for cracks in the wood in the area of the tang & grip. Such cracks only tend to get worse with with use. A combination of cracks and darkly stained wood in this area is bad news.

3. I store my doubles barrel down to keep oil from draining and being absorbed down into the wood. Oil stains & weakens the wood, contributing to the cracking mentioned above.

4. There are a suprising amount of early 20th century smokeless powder doubles still around and for sale. These can be great guns with a lot of character, but they often require a special diet. Many are short-chambered for 2 9/16" shells. Even though 2 3/4" inch shells will seem to fit, do not shoot modern 2 3/4" shells in them bacause the chamber is not long enough for the opened shell. Have a gunsmith check the chambers if necessary.

5. Lastly, there are very few "cheap but good" doubles (SxS or O/U). There are some good deals to be had on used ones, but you have to know what models to look for. A good double will cost you more than a comparable quality pump or semi. Nothing wrong with buying a cheap double to play with as long as you accept that if it ever stops working properly, most gunsmiths can offer you nothing more than a sympathetic look.
Last edited by ninepointer on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Here's one on which the lever is still to the right, but approaching centre. I took this into consideration when examining the gun, but in this instance it was a minor item on a gun which on the whole was a very good purchase for me.

TPM

Post by TPM »

Some excellent points there ninepointer! Wood on any old gun can be an issue especially when there's oil damage. Good point on chamber lengths too. Gotta watch for those short chambers especially on the older British and European game guns. I like your last point. "Good" and "cheap" should not be used in the same sentence when talking double guns. You're right, there are some good deals on used ones but you really have to know what you're looking for. A lot of junk out there at over inflated prices.

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
TPM

Post by TPM »

BTW, the lever on your gun does not look bad at all. That locking mechanism still has lots of life left in it. :D

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Awesome post TPM. Great stuff to know, am looking at getting the old double barrel! Thanks!
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

Good info on selecting a double gun.

I restored an old L.C. Smith double a while back. I bought it for $50. It was in a fire in a sporting goods store in Belfast, Maine. Toasted. Stock was burned off, barrels separated, all springs softened. Had the barrels resoldered. It was a 16ga. made in '37 and had 2 9/16" chambers. Lengthened those to 2 3/4" and also reamed long forcing cones. It was full and full and I opened one choke to IC. Stocked it with some walnut I cut myself, engraved and gold inlaid it then re-case colored the receiver. I never shot the thing and sold it a few years ago.
Gary
Last edited by GaryM on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Now THAT is a restoration! Beautiful!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Here's a link to an episode of "How Its Made". You double fans will enjoy it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmau4lS ... r_embedded
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Thanks for posting that youtube link ninepointer.
That was very cool to see all the work that goes into making those fine shotguns!
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Excellent post ...
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Then, of course, there is the Purdey crowd...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjPAAXP9 ... e=youtu.be