Last years frogs....motivating for tomorrow nights hunt

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Last years frogs....motivating for tomorrow nights hunt

Post by Hoss »

some pics from last year...going tomorrow night to gig a bunch of bulls SO I was going thru my pics tryn to remember some of my frog holes.,,,, and just thought I would post last years harvest. I go with 3 or 4 friends sometimes and when you got a bunch of guys you can sure slam them frogs.Last year in about 4-5 weeks we killed over 250..The daily limit and possession limit for bullfrogs is 15. per man ...Awwww cant wait to eat some frog legs..those pics just make my mouth water..I will post pics of tomorrow nights outing as soon as I can..

Last edited by Hoss on Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
wheelie

Re: Last years frogs....motivating for tomorrow nights hunt

Post by wheelie »

LOL speachless!!!!!! You use a rage2 broadhead for them? LOL Reminds me when I was 10 years old we made frog guns out of a hockey stick handle, elastics and my moms cloths pins and we would go frog hunting. My dad was a cop and bought me a pellet gun at age 12. Use to go the the Kitchener (big city) parks and shoot squirels. Think parents would be put in jail for doing that now days. Got hunting licence at age 15. many many moons ago.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics Hoss...some of the biggest frogs I've ever seen! :shock:
Is that a spear type instrument that you get them with?
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
lscha

Post by lscha »

Wow! Yum! We have a limit of 10 in possession (but no season limit). New this year in Michigan: you must have an all-species fishing license to take frogs or amphibians.
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

Its a fish spear attatched to a extension pole. ( Its noy just a frog gig a typical frog gig is to lite wieght if you use a a typical "frog gig" on these big guys youll bend and tear it up fast. So I make my own with a heavy duty fish spear..just sharpen and go..It works great. you turn it over and use it as a prode to feel the bottom of the creek as your going and to ward of snakes and such. then turn it over and gig frog close or extend it for the ones back in the brush pile..
Boo

Post by Boo »

Snakes? In the dark? Are they poisonous? :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Totally awesome Hoss! Our frogs here have legs like toothpics, those sure look like good eating! You lucky dudes get to hunt way to much!!!! :wink: :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

YUM YUM YUM DELIOUCIOUS! I had to get a towel, my chin is all wet.
Raymond
catcher

Post by catcher »

Ah Hoss......... I thought you were going to adopt me. :P Good luck .
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

bcmuledeer wrote:Totally awesome Hoss! Our frogs here have legs like toothpics, those sure look like good eating! You lucky dudes get to hunt way to much!!!! :wink: :lol:

yea buddy but you guys have that wonderful cool air and its hotter than hell down here...97 today....it makes the frogs get on the bank alot which translates to a longer feeding time of year for them which is why they get so big..when its to cool they get in the water and they are a little harder to get..good eatn for sure..

Don-----SNAKES? yes poisonous, cottonmouths those are the ones that will ruin you night. Copperheads, copperheads over rated. they think they are bad but they will just make you sick alittle. they are beautiful though. we have rattlers but you dont see them much. To be honest snakes dont want nothing to do with us. Ive never had a problem. In all my years frogn ive only been close twice.----> In the Cimarron bottoms there is so many snakes it aint funny. Its useless to hunt frogs there sometimes..the snakes eat all of them..Ive seen snakes as big as a mans arm there...its not for everyone for sure. Ive taken seasoned redneck frogers and they wont go back..if you catch it just right and in the right place it can be good..I killed a cottonmouth 5ft 2 inches there one year, thats a dandy. I really dont like to go there you have to be on your toes which means no drinking beer.....but on a regular basis you just wade along the creek about knee to waist high and look for eyes (FROGS eyes they shine like green leds) with todays brite flashlights its easy... then if you see a snake just move him along gently, hes looking for the same thing your looking for FROGS or dinner. I make my own gigs on an extension pole. one end is big around as a bat handle they other has the gig end. I walk along and use my gig to feel the bottom for stuff that would trip me and it helps me keep my balance and get my foot out of the muddy bottom.if you see a frog turn it over and get him. if hes in a brush pile exstend it and get him.. the thing about cottonmouths is they aint scared. they will come right at you. But they float right on top of the water which makes the easy to identify them and they look mean as hell too... and are... If they get to close or choose not to move along they die. A whack on the head and its over the caint handle a hit from my gigs i build. there is alot of just water snakes but they are harmless. I got a story

Last year me and my boy kieth ( my daughters future husband) went frogn hes been doing it now 3 years. I saw a little snake when we first got to the pond so did kieth. Kieth said its a cottonmouth i went along with it. I said" the bad thing about that little cottonmouth is we dont no where moma is"! we split up. I went one way kieth went the other and was to meet back up at the truck..he has a little phobia about the snakes not bad. Ill break him. hes already gettn better. SO I found momma big eastern black snake harmless frog eatn bastard about 4 and half feet long and thick., and it was a big one. looks like a cottonmouth. I whacked her and she was alive but just rum dum a bit.. I got to the truck first and i wrapped her up in a circle in the pass seat.I had the dome light off. Kieth got back to the truck with a couple nice frogs we put them on a stringer and on ice. I got in the old dodge and we are headed to another pond. Kieth opens the door its dark he flops right up in the bench seat right on top of that ole snake and shut the door. I see him wigglen trying to figure out what hes sitting on and I hit the dome light switch. I never seen someone move so fast and scream like a little girl. He opened the door and was out of that truck lookn in the ole snake just perfectly slithered off into the floor and his mouth was wide open as he was lookn for any bites on his hands. . OH MY GOD! he was saying WTF. I was rollin it was so funny. he thought it was tha momma snake. I walked around to the other side and he was hollering dude thats a cottonmouth what are you doing? I got the snake and educted him about what it was and wasnt. no fangs nothing..( Perfect time to say" Treat my girl wrong and next time it will be a cottonmouth" but it was hard to keep a serious face.lol.)..He still to this day turns his light on before he gets into the truck..hahahaha...i love it...We are best frogn buddies to this day...hes going with me tonight and trust me i watch over him like a mother hen. I wouldnt want harm to come to the one my daughter loves so much.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

catcher wrote:Ah Hoss......... I thought you were going to adopt me. :P Good luck .

Ive been thinking about it lol give me some time thats a big step for me...lamo

thanks buddy
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

No froggin for me. I will eat them but no way am I messing with the snakes, :lol: :lol: .
Good story Hoss. Sounds about like what I did to my Uncle but it was a great BIG eel, :lol: :lol: :lol: . I will never forget it, almost pissed in my pants laughing so hard, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Thanks,
Raymond
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Loved the story Hoss! Almost as good as that deer roping! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
munch

Post by munch »

hoss i heard a cotton mouth is born pissed off and just get worst from there on .so it's true they will run you out of there area
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I was just reading Munchs post and all of a sudden I felt fangs in my thigh. I hollered, a word I will not repeated. I looked down and my cat was hanging off of me. Dang near had a heart attack, :lol: :lol: :lol: . That was no BS. It really did just take place, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: . I still have goose bumps, :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Raymond