Interesting time with Cops (Update on news)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

Interesting time with Cops (Update on news)

Post by wheelie »

Went to the harbour bowfishing yesterday. Most days I go up river away from people. Had 4 police cars zoom in on me. Said they got a complaint about someone shooting geese. I had to educate the police on bowfishing laws and what I was doing was totally legal. Said there could be town bylaws in which I said no, I already had a meeting with the bylaw officer over bows in town. Cops said "very good you did your homework, we have never seen anyone bowfish before." I told them I was expecting them to show up and was surprized they never came down last week. They left and told me to carryon and they were going to check the laws on it with the MNR. Fun Day! Guess I will be the topic at the next police meeting. LOL

UPDATE: June 22 LOL Was listening to Owen Sound news in truck and a statement was released saying, " A gentleman is bowfishing with a bow and arrow in the Meaford harbour for carp which is a legal form of fishing. Do not call the Ontario provincial police. We repeat do not call the O.P.P. as it it is totally legal with what he is doing". LOL Though that's me. LMAO!
Last edited by wheelie on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dash

Re: Interesting time with Cops

Post by Dash »

At least they handled it OK, and didn't try taking your gear from you. "or did you pay them off in fish :wink: "
Sometimes they can get out of hand even when your in the right, just because of thier lack of knowllege with the numerous laws. Nice Fish, what is it ?
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

Too Bad they didn't do their homework before wasting time and resources. Too bad whoever called didn't stop and check out what you were doing before overreacting and calling the cops. Nice Carp, things are starting to turn on here.
Boo/Comfybear Custom strings
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

NICE GOOSE WHEELIE!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Good work educating the boy's in blue!! Nice fish!!
The best things in life are not things!!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Looks like fun!!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

That goose has no neck!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
groundpounder

Post by groundpounder »

The goose that laid the golden carp! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't be too hard on the men in blue. They would have had to follow up with the complaint regardless. Glad they listened and were good with your explanation.
Why ride when you can walk!
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

Looks like a nice doublelung shot! :shock: how was the tracking? Did you have to wait awhile before taking up the blood trail? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice fish Kevin, I think I would be in the jail before I landed a fish with a bow! Good shooting buddy! :D
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
Carutht

Post by Carutht »

I am a retired FWC officer. When we get a complaint we have to roll. When we get to the scene, the best case scenario is the person we encounter explaines what he is doing. His activity is legal so we close the complaint with time, mileage and the disposition. "No violation!"
That is what we do. Most complaints are cleared this way.
The general public has no idea of the law when they call dispatch.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I have a good recipe for carp, involves a camp fire and an oak plank, lol.
"Eze 18:21"
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

hehehe Got 2 big carp this afternoon on way home from work. Police handled it very well yesterday in my opinion. I am surprised that they didn't say just go home and don't do it here. I would have fought it if they had of. Today one just drove by me without stopping. Kodo's to the police for handling it correctly in my opinion.

My recipe involves a rubber boot. Everyone asks me what I do with them, I tell them I make dog food for my 3 hunting dogs, LOL
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Dash wrote:At least they handled it OK, and didn't try taking your gear from you. "or did you pay them off in fish :wink: "
Sometimes they can get out of hand even when your in the right, just because of thier lack of knowllege with the numerous laws. Nice Fish, what is it ?
You are right. It is just a common carp.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

thanks all for nice comments. I am surprised they didn't tell me to just go home till they look into it. I feel I explained it well and they fully believed what I told them. One of the cops looked at the other cop and said "he is a hunter and he would know what he is talking about." Don't think I ever talked to him before but all the police rent our club to practise all there shooting. I am incharge of archery at our club. Even offered to come to police meeting with my bow and talk to them about it. Have not heard anything yet.
strider23

Post by strider23 »

If you tarred and feathered that whale it might pass for a goose. :lol: :lol: Nice picture, you should have asked the police officers to pose with you before they left.

By the way, are you a lefty?