Outdoor / Indoor Ranges NY, NJ, Long Isalnd

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SScott

Outdoor / Indoor Ranges NY, NJ, Long Isalnd

Post by SScott »

Hi all,

I am contemplating a move to NYC or Long Island, but I have not been able to locate any shooting ranges, indoor or outdoor. I am curious where hunters in the area practice, or just wondering if any such ranges exist? I realize it's a broad area, but I'm willing to travel to pursue it, as I will probably end up living in one of the burroughs anyway. I would think that NJ would have something, but I have not had any luck with my search in any of these areas so far.

Thanks again,

Steve
seabee401

Re: Outdoor / Indoor Ranges NY, NJ, Long Isalnd

Post by seabee401 »

I am from bergen co. n.J. originally.Not far from N.Y.C. There are several archery pro shops in the area that have indoor ranges. they charge a fee and are not more than 20-25 yds. but @ least you can practice.I now living in Sussex co.,N.J. there are wildlife mngt. areas that have public shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow ranges outside. If you have a N.j. hunting license you can use these ranges for free. Just keep in mind that you will have to pay $ 8.00 toll to go across the hudson to N.j. and if you are going to one of the w.m.a. ranges you will be traveling over an hour, and should have your n.j. hunt license as the w.c.o.'s sometimes check. N.Y. should have similar places and being a resident you wouldnt have to travel across the river or buy n.j. nonresident hunting license. upstate and long island are more rural and should provide an area for you. go online, check phone books,n.y. hunting website for phone #'s of possible ranges. also join united bowhunters of new jersey or new york. these organizations can surely point you in the right direction.Good luck. Be safe.
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
SScott

Post by SScott »

Hey, thanks SeaBee, really appreciate the help. I found the WMA website and will give them a ring. Thanks again!

Steve
badredbird

Post by badredbird »

im originally from the borough of staten island , nyc, some of the parks like willowbrook park has ranges
SScott

Post by SScott »

Thanks, I will check out Willow Park. I checked out some parks in Long Island, but they don't allow X-Bows for whatever reason.
liaf

Post by liaf »

I see that you live app. 35 miles from Chicago so i am assuming you work in that city(and commute). I see that you want to live in Long Island or in 1 of the 5 boroughs. Based upon my assumptions you are probably going to work in NYC. If that is the case then you need to live in upper westchester county or lower putnam county and then you will have the same commute that you have now. If you decide to live in either of these counties you will be able to shoot your x-bow in your backyard. I myself live in Rockland county which is on the west side of the Hudosn river and I commute to the Bronx for my job(30 miles). I can shoot my crossbow any time I want in my backyard. You are probably wondering why I live in Rockland versus the other 2 counties i just suggested, reason is that I use to work in Rockland than I got a job in the Bronx, so why move at that point. Remember this- Rockland ,Westchester and lower Putnam counties are pretty restictive to all types of hunting. If you do not mind commuting further to your job than look at Orange county, NY . Its 1/2 hour drive for me therefore its 75 minutes for a Bronx commute. Great thing about Orange County NY is that you could buy a house there and shoot a CF rifle in your backyard ,as long as the Town laws allow it. Orange count Ny has more open areas to hunt and land owners are somewhat more permissive in allowing you to hunt the lands versus the other 3 counties i have mentioned. You can forget about areas in the state of NJ that are w/i 35 miles of NYC. Sure you may get a managed hunt on a WMA in NJ(thats w/i 35 miles of NYC) but it's probably by a quota system and PETA will show up to wreck your hunt. Peta will be outside all of those controlled hunts yelling about animal abuse. i do not post often but when I feel that I have intimate knowledge in regards to a specific question I will voice my opinion. Pete
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.