Who has a hound story

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Hoss

Re: Who has a hound story

Post by Hoss »

One of my friends has a Blue Gascon his name is Ollie. He has the most beautiful sound that comes out of his mouth when he barks..long mellow tone...hes a big ole boy...sorry no story...
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

Beagles are the way to go. Excellent noses, not real big, only draw back to hounds is they are loud and LOVE exploring. Take good care of their ears, they start to stink if not. Beagles are small enough to not really mess with cats.
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
houser52

Post by houser52 »

I raised and deer hunted with hounds. They were a Fox Walker and Red Bone mix. They had shorter ears than a coon Walker and a little different voice. They were also a lot faster on the track too. All of them lived and breathed fox and deer hunting. They all knew when I pulled the truck down to the lot with the dog box on that it was time to go hunting and couldn't wait to be first to get into the box.

One time they got on a buck track that had got past the hunters and my dogs were picked up 2 weeks later 10 miles away from where I turned them out. Another time they were chasing deer that swam the Cape Fear River and got on an island in the river. Had to find a guy with a boat to get to the island to get them.
There were lots of times that I had to leave them out all night because they were on a hot deer or fox track. All I had to do was leave my coat on the ground where I turned them out and they would be laying on it the next morning.

That was many years ago and my hounds have long been gone but I still think about Jack, Jill, Betsy and Sally almost every time I look out at the dog lot. Good memories.
Ibex
NRA Life Member
NC Lifetime Sportsman
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Ah hounds, gotta love the buggers! My favourite hunting pass-times, even moreso than crossbow hunting, are:

1. Hunting deer with hounds, up north during the rifle season (mostly black & tans and blue-ticks)

2. Hunting rabbits with beagles

About 10 years ago in the North Bay area I was grouse & rabbit hunting, mid-October, middle of the afternoon on a bright, sunny day. I had my beagle Lucy with me (the beagle in the pic above). About 10 minutes into my hunt I heard a wolf howl in the distance, which struck me as interesting, since I've only ever heard them at night. But the wolf was very far away and it did not concern me.

A half an hour later a wolf howls again, this time much closer, like within 200 yards! Then a 2nd wolf starts howling, followed by a 3rd wolf, all equally close and I'm in the middle of this wolf triangle :shock: ! The only thing that popped into my mind at that moment was the safety of my dog, which by now was whining, had its ears & tail tucked low and was darting around in circles. So I leashed my dog, made sure I had shells in my shotgun and walked out of there fast. I felt a lot better once I started the ATV and was riding down the trail. I never did actually see any of those wolves, but I sure lost my appetite for hunting that day!

My current beagle: "Cookie"!
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great pics ninepointer!
Cookie is as cute as a bug!! :D
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

j.krug wrote:Great pics ninepointer!
Cookie is as cute as a bug!! :D
Cookie thanks you and sends you this baby pic from last year :D
philman

Post by philman »

Killed 100's of cottontail over these hounds...Dixie got out of the kennel last year and was picked up two days later 11km away! She can climb our 8ft chain link kennel fence! :lol: :lol:

Photo of my 15" Rabbit dogs.
Jack the Ripper. 6 month old in photo below first rabbit.
Dixie 15" class rabbit hunting machine.
And a few Pups
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

bugs wrote:What beautiful dogs! The stories are making me choke up, I have a serious attachment to animals. Farming just isnt in my blood, if I dont know the animal it is okay.

Im with you bugs..I understand completely
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

philman wrote:Killed 100's of cottontail over these hounds...Dixie got out of the kennel last year and was picked up two days later 11km away! She can climb our 8ft chain link kennel fence! :lol: :lol:
Great beagles Philman! I may be a hound owner but you are truly a Houndsman! Goodness knows they try to go under my 4-foot fence, but thankfully none of mine has mastered going OVER the wire!
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Gr8 story and pics ninepointer. Thats why I get almost panic stricken when I have to leave my beagles behind for a few hours. Plus the fact I worry they may get seperated from each other and they go into a farm with a nasty dog. They are part of me and the family.
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

deer camp this past winter .lots of fun running dogs and man can this dog run .we had five beagels as well on this hunt .lots of wolves around this country to . i had a great hunt with the guys from fishtail camp and hope to go again this year DUTCH
addicted to canadian beaver
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

i also have a pair of beagels that just love bunnys and deer
heres baby zena
a littel older
and now two yesr old
off season
thy have a good life when there is no snow haha .but just love to get out and run
DUTCH
wabi

Post by wabi »

Many years ago when my parents were starting their life together and I was only a toddler (3-4 years old) my father had several fox hounds. One was a nasty dispositioned blue tic who tolerated having his food bowl filled but any other approach by a human brought snarls and snaps.

One day I came in the back door screaming and crying and my mother said my face was covered with blood. Her first thought was that the hound had injured me severely. She grabbed me, rushed to the sink, wet a washcloth and began cleaning the blood off my face. No wounds??????
She asked me what happened and I told her, "the dog snapped at me, so I bit him!"
She went out and the hound had a set of teeth marks in his nose!

After that incident I could inflict any indignation on that poor old dog and never once did it ever try to bite me again! :lol: :lol: :lol:
wabi
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

thats showing them whos boss !!@!! i like it DUTCH
philman

Post by philman »

ninepointer wrote:
philman wrote:Killed 100's of cottontail over these hounds...Dixie got out of the kennel last year and was picked up two days later 11km away! She can climb our 8ft chain link kennel fence! :lol: :lol:
Great beagles Philman! I may be a hound owner but you are truly a Houndsman! Goodness knows they try to go under my 4-foot fence, but thankfully none of mine has mastered going OVER the wire!
Thanks bud.....Beagles have been in my family Since the 80's...so I've been around them my entire life..... Rabbit dawgs only though. I have never tryed hunting deer with full sized hounds but I bet it's a blast. So jealous! :D 8)