Deer Attractants

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

j.krug

Re: Deer Attractants

Post by j.krug »

They appear to enjoy using your 1st cam as a back scratcher so just point a 2nd camera at the 1st and you should get lots of pics! :lol:

Seriously though, some of the folks here appear to be having good pics with corn feeders. I put up a mineral fountain for my photo opportunities but haven't gotten around to putting up my camera yet...DOH! :oops:
I have checked the mineral fountain a couple times and there is tracks around it so I gotta get the camera up.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
philman

Post by philman »

I use DeerCRACK it smells so sweet I even get tempted to stick my tounge in it...LOL! I just pour it on the ground but I think your supposed to mix it with the soil. First they eat the powder then the dirt then all the grass around the dirt.I have a 4ft wide hole in the ground. I'm on my last bag now and I hope to buy more. :D
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

philman wrote:I use DeerCRACK it smells so sweet I even get tempted to stick my tounge in it...LOL! I just pour it on the ground but I think your supposed to mix it with the soil. First they eat the powder then the dirt then all the grass around the dirt.I have a 4ft wide hole in the ground. I'm on my last bag now and I hope to buy more. :D
Sounds like pretty potent stuff philman!
I may just give it a try next time.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
greyhunter

Post by greyhunter »

You could buy a cheap plastic container of peanut-butter and cut the bottom out.
Nail the lid to a tree and screw the bottle back on. Guarantee you will see more critters to get a picture of. :lol:
The woods are full of surprises.
philman

Post by philman »

I will take photos the next time I go out!

badredbird

Post by badredbird »

imagine going to a narcotics anonymous meeting and tell them hi my name is.....and im hooked on deercrack!!!i used some stuff called buckfuel ,man they chewed on the plastic bottle, i did notice they work diffeent from region to egion and deer to deer , i grow m ostly turnip greens for them so i usually go natual , my dad used use nothing more than vanilla extract , some deer took off when they scented it and some were like lapping whee he splashed it , deer i have come to the conclusion are like people their tastes change, some i believe are just curious, ive known guys use anise vanilla cinammon all kinds of stuff i noticed on buck fuel they liked the corn and persimmon the berry stuff they wouldnt go near , youhave to see what works by you which could be what they a re exposed to inyou area, ny we used to feed them sweet potato french fries they would take out og our hand
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Do the deer have trouble getting it in their little pipes??? How do they light it????
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

i feed them corn. and they like apple.. i try carrot they did not touch them.has for attractant the best was buck deer jam honey acorn did try all flavor. all the deer seem to like the smell and they lick it. did try but seem not to like ( c mere deer attractant ) for salt buy for 8.00 $ at a fram supply the big red block and poor some apple juice on it (can drill some hole in the block ) i guest it all depend on the deer ( badredbird is right )

ps can attract some bear to...
that was last year with apple
Last edited by denisdendenis on Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
Sopchoppy

Post by Sopchoppy »

Over the past few years, I've wasted $$$ on gimick deer attractants. Liquid C'mere Deer is not much more than table syrup mixed with water. If you have some C'mere Deer, give it the sniff test. Smells just like diluted table syrup. I make my own to pour over corn. I use rock salt in an old hollow stump and deer will eat the salt and the dirt under it. I do pour table syrup on top of the rock salt. Two commercial products that DO work are Record Rack Golden Deer Nuggets and Primos Swamp Donkey molasses block. The Deer Nuggets have a distinct fruit odor that does attract deer and it has the minerals deer need. The Primos block is the only mineral block I've ever had deer eat within a couple of weeks. I have another plain mineral block that has been by my feeder for over a year and it's still 1/2 it's original size.
Vortex
Gold Tip Laser II's
Slick Trick Broadheads
Viper X String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Lumi-Zone
littlekitch

Post by littlekitch »

to start you unfortunately can't use natural scent in ontario now.i've bow hunted for 5 seasons and would use a scent drag of doe in estrus to my stand's shooting lane.i would make a false scrape under a branch and hang the scent drag on the branch at a height where the deer could stretch to smell.i would also put buck scent on a cotton ball in a plastic film cotainer and dig it into the false scrape.then i would spray stick and lick on the branches above also.it worked great.i had 2 different bucks actually change course when they crossed the scent drag trail and came right to my false scrape and were harvested .i've had to rety branches back on with ty wraps after they've been tore off by buck antlers between my visits to my stands.they also leave there hoof marks in my false scrapes which make them new active scrapes.i'm not sure how the synthetic scents are going to work as my buck last season was harvested in cold december snow with no scents down.KITCH
Bones

Post by Bones »

The attractants they are talking about are ok , it is the natural urine and simular products that are banned.
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

philman wrote:I use DeerCRACK it smells so sweet I even get tempted to stick my tounge in it...LOL! I just pour it on the ground but I think your supposed to mix it with the soil. First they eat the powder then the dirt then all the grass around the dirt.I have a 4ft wide hole in the ground. I'm on my last bag now and I hope to buy more. :D
Would this stuff attract bears too? I would like to use it close to my cottage to bring deer, but I am afraid bears would come too. We have bear sightings close to the cottages on regular basis now. There is to many of them there.
philman

Post by philman »

Not sure if a bear would hit it or not.....I'd eat it if I was a bear. It smells like candy! :D
bentonmike

Post by bentonmike »

I put my trail cams up last year and started baiting with corn, since I live 40 min from where I hunt, I couldn't always keep the corn pile fresh. There was a HUGE difference in the amount of pictures when I was using corn and when I was using attractants.
I would get 30 to 40 pictures of deer in a 24 hour period with the corn out, with the attractant, I might get that many in a week! I'm sticking with corn this year, which of course is perfectly legal in Ky.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have wasted a lot of money trying out different scents and attractants over the years and "for me" the only thing that I can be sure will allways work is corn I have allways just poured it right on the ground and it allways works
M&M