Never thought....

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowrook

Never thought....

Post by xbowrook »

I'd see the day that I'd be heading to school at my age... start my Heavy Equipment single piece course on Monday. All I can afford for now. Don't like the job right now and they're letting people go like it's a sport so I figured I could ride it out or make my own fate. It's only a 3 week course and I will be learning the Backhoe/Front loader. Want to also learn the Excavator and the Front Loader. Also want my DZ and Dump license. Baby steps. Anyone on here have their license? I am taking the program at Ontario Truck Driving School. Heard many many good things about them. I know they've been great with helping me get going and stuff. Just can't believe it's back to school. I haven't done so much damned reading in years!! Already finished 2 of the 3 books they gave me. Figured I'd read through it and get a jump start. Glad I did. The backhoe book was easy, after driving fork lift for 16 years it's pretty much common sense until the actual machine parts and procedures. Excited but scared s***less at the same time.
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
Normous

Re: Never thought....

Post by Normous »

Cool!!! A Man with ambition, challenge, guts and loves to hunt.
Sending my best wishes for success.
Nice attitude Man!! Keep it up and a nice reward awaits you.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

you have already passed the major part of the certification....
human-machine interface. if you have operated a lift truck for years then you know that the machine needs to be told exactly what to do. you are its mind,
but never take it for granted !!!
always be safe and good luck to ya !!! :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
munch

Post by munch »

good luck with your coarse it will be nice to have a job choice if you get your d as well.i have been running heavy equipment since i was about 18 it can be hard on the body ran everything from excavators trim dozers wheel and track loaders motor scrapers push dozers gravel crushers .i was at one time in the operating engineers union and at that time the only ticket you needed for heavy equipment was a hoisting ticket to run a crane with cables i still run equipment every day and the only thing i have is an AZ .just wonder do construction companys expect tickets from new guys .my equipment school started on the end of a shovel putting in pipe and watching what was going on around me .then got the chance to operate .good luck keep us posted
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
ScottytheLoner

Post by ScottytheLoner »

Good for you sir. You can never go wrong with more education. Good luck.
wabi

Post by wabi »

Hope you don't have the same problem I do.
The education is always helpful, but at my age the memory sometimes fails to retain much of it. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding. :wink:
Congratulations on your new career.
wabi
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

as a heavy equipment mechanic I can tell you the dozers are fun but will beat you up workin for 8 hrs a day. My favorite is the track hoe or Excavator. They are the same to me. I love working them and they are comfortable to sit in and work. A cab over back hoe is cool to. you get ac and sometimes radio..Tire loader or frt end loader is fun. I worked at a saw mill and loaded the mill with giant trees for a long time. it was a blast taking them to the debarker then the saw...unloading semis I loved it..good luck and remember if someone before you has done it then there is no reason why you cant. Its all in determination...go get em buddy and do it better than anyone ever has..
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

thanks everyone. yeah, my forklift training is really going to help me i think. these machines are just so intimidating. i have also been watching alot of video's on youtube about the controls and stuff. i am sure i will be fine, just wanna try to ride these things. i like the idea of the front loader/backhoe, i think it will open up more avenues for me in terms of employment right away. I HOPE>.lol. i have always been a hands on kinda guy when it comes to machines, always loved driving and operating them. i like the closed cabin too, i believe our school has a Case and a Deere. They both have the heat, a/c, radio. looking forward to getting dirty and playin in the mud. will try to get some pics too, of the machines and stuff.
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Good luck in school go for the AZ license over the DZ being able to take the equipment to the site gives you the advantage.
The best things in life are not things!!
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Good luck to you brother and good on you for stepping up and getting it done.
One step at a time is a great way to go.
Your positive attitude is sure to make this a successful journey! :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Stash

Post by Stash »

xbowrook wrote:I am taking the program at Ontario Truck Driving School. Heard many many good things about them. I know they've been great with helping me get going and stuff.
Are you in the London area? I took the truck driver course from these guys back about 10 years ago, and yes, they were pretty good. Helped me with a job placement right after getting my license. Good luck to you.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

Stash wrote:
xbowrook wrote:I am taking the program at Ontario Truck Driving School. Heard many many good things about them. I know they've been great with helping me get going and stuff.
Are you in the London area? I took the truck driver course from these guys back about 10 years ago, and yes, they were pretty good. Helped me with a job placement right after getting my license. Good luck to you.

Nope, I am in Chatham. Had my first class today and it's a good course. the instructor is a good guy, good sense of humor and is well informed. I hope to get placement as soon as possible, but we'll see. Plan on doing some leg work too, getting out there and hitting every local area and also faxing out to some areas out of town. an hour drive is all i wanna drive, but will go further if i must.
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

good luck with you schooling (never to late to learn new thing) and have some fun doing it.
Denis
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
FLA-XBOW

Post by FLA-XBOW »

I actually just re-registered in school today(welding) , im only 23 but got a kid and wife, trying to look after their future.
2011 Vortex w/ varizone
fff string
Rage 2 125 grain broadheads
firebolts w/ 3'' vanes
Nikon Archers Choice rangefinder
BLOCK fusion targets
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

FLA-XBOW wrote:I actually just re-registered in school today(welding) , im only 23 but got a kid and wife, trying to look after their future.
cool... i have never welded before, but it looks like it would be a great asset for the workplace. we are expecting our 3rd child in a couple months, and i'm 34 so it's something that i wanted to do quite badly. and i don't find the age thing too bad, i think it helps me take it much more serious actually. i just do not like my current job and i see it going south quickly as they have lost a huge customer ( 20% of their annual gross) and possibly more and they have let some people go recently. not to mention after my shoulder surgery i just don't know if i could do the whole lifting big material over my head and stuff. we will see. i think it's a good thing to have, a heavy equip. operator i mean. backhoe/loader is a good one because i can do snow removal in the winter time, hopefully.. not to mention the instructor today said that just because i've only used the backhoe that i can still use the excavator, front loader ( wheel loader), dozer, etc. i just wanna do something i like to do for 40 - 50+ hours a week. plus i hear the money isn't all too bad either.