Mature Buck/Matriarch Doe?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Onetimeonly x-->

Mature Buck/Matriarch Doe?

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I seen this posted on another site. Which do you think?

Which is more difficult to harvest-a mature buck defined
as 4 years or older, or a matriarch doe of at least the same
age and she leads a family unit of at least 3 generations?
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
georgiaboy

Re: Mature Buck/Matriarch Doe?

Post by georgiaboy »

At least you have a chance with the buck during the rut...an old nanny doe NEVER let's her guard down!!!!
My vote goes to the doe.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Which one is the hardest to kill, the 4 yr old Buck. The Nanny will bust you if'en you mess up, but she & hers always can be patterned. A Buck that old maybe mostly nocturnal & if'en you do get a chance on him don't miss!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have been broke by a doe but never by a buck.
My vote is for the doe....
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
denisdendenis

Post by denisdendenis »

vixenmaster wrote:Which one is the hardest to kill, the 4 yr old Buck. The Nanny will bust you if'en you mess up, but she & hers always can be patterned. A Buck that old maybe mostly nocturnal & if'en you do get a chance on him don't miss!
Vixenmaster is right .... the buck , you have a small chance on the rut
excalibur equinox
standard excel string
vari-zone scope
excalibur carbon arrows
3 lunenok excalibur carbon arrows
s5 string chock
range finder mount
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Onetimeonly x--> wrote:I seen this posted on another site. Which do you think?

Which is more difficult to harvest-a mature buck defined
as 4 years or older, or a matriarch doe of at least the same
age and she leads a family unit of at least 3 generations?
A matriarch doe considering in the whitetail world it doesn't exist. You have the same chance of harvesting a unicorn :lol: that term comes from elk which have a total different social life. To answer the question I'd say there are very similar with the doe being easier to kill through out the season. The buck easier to kill at certain times.
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

I'm with Hankenhunter on this one! The doe's in bc are protected and as such are a royal pain in the butt, they act like they own the place. We have an old doe here that has a scar on her side, she made Alot of work for me having to build a fence arround the garden. When she's in the flower bed, the wife throws rocks at her and she gets an attitude of (hey I'm standing here) I'm sure if I shot at her she would die more from a heart attack than the shot! :lol:
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
wabi

Post by wabi »

There may not be a matriarch doe in the whitetail world, but there is one huge doe in the area I hunt that is much more reclusive than any buck in the area.
I've hunted the area for over 10 years now, and I've seen her three times. Never in the same location, never closer than 150 yards or so, never alone (always with other does), and never without her "busting" me. Every time I've seen her I've been in a ladder stand and she is watching me by the time I see her. First time was at 250 yards in a bean field and I thought it was a doe and fawns until I looked through binoculars. It was her with other mature does, and she was so much bigger than the other does I was astounded by her size.
I've never got her pic on a trail cam, but I have talked to a couple other hunters who have seen her (at a long distance, and she was watching them carefully when they saw her).

I figure she'll die of old age, but I sure hope she passes on her genes!
A doe that size would provide more meat than two of what I normally shoot. :lol: :lol: (and more than any buck I've seen in that area)

Mature bucks may be careless during the rut, but I don't think that old doe ever lets her guard down.
wabi
wayne

Post by wayne »

I belive it depends on area you hunt, all I know is from my own hunting is: When I hunted down state where there is farm land within 10 miles, the doe wins hands down, but in high hunting pressure areas where there is no farm land for miles, the buck wins.
I've killed more 200+ pound does then 200+ pound bucks, I should add that 200+ pound deer in our area is a rare deer. The big bucks I've been blessed to take, 4+ years old, have all came during the most nasty weather, when I was about the only one foolish enough to be out, I know there more around, I find there sheds, but it's few & far between seeing them, the big does where gotten in normal weather. Again this is from my own hunting since "74" I really belive it depends on the area.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
roly

Post by roly »

I find the Does in my area are easier to pattern, the
mature doe always seam to look up at me and know somethings not right
If lucky enough to see a buck, they don't seem to look up as much and their interests seem to be on whats going on around him
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

wabi wrote:There may not be a matriarch doe in the whitetail world, but there is one huge doe in the area I hunt that is much more reclusive than any buck in the area.
I've hunted the area for over 10 years now, and I've seen her three times. Never in the same location, never closer than 150 yards or so, never alone (always with other does), and never without her "busting" me. Every time I've seen her I've been in a ladder stand and she is watching me by the time I see her. First time was at 250 yards in a bean field and I thought it was a doe and fawns until I looked through binoculars. It was her with other mature does, and she was so much bigger than the other does I was astounded by her size.
I've never got her pic on a trail cam, but I have talked to a couple other hunters who have seen her (at a long distance, and she was watching them carefully when they saw her).

I figure she'll die of old age, but I sure hope she passes on her genes!
A doe that size would provide more meat than two of what I normally shoot. :lol: :lol: (and more than any buck I've seen in that area)

Mature bucks may be careless during the rut, but I don't think that old doe ever lets her guard down.
Wabi, any deer that lives 10 plus years in the wild is a smart one in my book! That's a very impressive thing to me. I'll be honest I'm a little jealous :lol: Is this a current living deer, or a memory from your past?
wabi

Post by wabi »

FredBear wrote:Wabi, any deer that lives 10 plus years in the wild is a smart one in my book! That's a very impressive thing to me. I'll be honest I'm a little jealous :lol: Is this a current living deer, or a memory from your past?
I didn't see her last year, but that doesn't mean she's not still around.
I didn't do much scouting last year, mostly hunted the food plot/feeder location, and I've never seen her there.
She sometimes visits the bean fields on the bordering farm, but she sticks close to the edges.
There are a few small fields along the creek and she will cross them if the weeds are tall.
wabi
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Old does have screwed up many a hunt for me. They are worse than cancer. Thanks God there is a rut otherwise huge bucks would die from old age and running into cars. You all seen this before where a yearling walks by and Mr. Big is right behind. Or, you fawn bleat and here he comes. Hunting is just the best.