Quoted Speed vs True Speed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

novacam

Quoted Speed vs True Speed

Post by novacam »

Has anyone ever found the difference btwn quoted and true speeds of their bows?If so, what are the results?? Thanks
Limbs and Sticks

Re: Quoted Speed vs True Speed

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

novacam wrote:Has anyone ever found the difference btwn quoted and true speeds of their bows?If so, what are the results?? Thanks

The excals shoot what's advertised, my max shoots 349fps to 351fps with a 350gr stick, can't get any better than that, so the answer is yes from what I've test.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Boo

Post by Boo »

Opps!
Last edited by Boo on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Boo

Post by Boo »

Quoted or advertised speeds are a way of giving you an idea of the maximum speeds when using a known arrow weight (minimum). When you use the words "true" it means nothing because the speed is irrelevant unless an arrow weight is used. No manufacturer knows what arrow weight or string an owner is going to use.
Advertised speeds are there for a reason and it is not there to trick the potential purchaser.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Kind of like the MPG rating listed on vehicle window stickers: you'll get it if everything is exactly like it was when it was tested: weight, wind, tire pressure, speed, even road surface, and other factors.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I believe they're there for advertising purposes mostly. It does give a Consumer somewhat of an idea where the bow lines up with other manufacturers bows (if they're using the same weight arrow). Having said that, I doubt many Consumers know what grain of arrow is tested with which bows to achieve those fps numbers.

Manufacturers use the lightest arrows possible to achieve the highest arrow speeds possible. Few consumers understand this little fact and assume their hunting weight arrow is moving as fast as the ad says it is. Remember, 'fast' sells. It's all about selling more bows! It's called Marketing. I've never saw an add say "Our bow will smoke a lightweight 300 grain arrow at 350 fps but in all honestly, you'll more than likely be hunting with a heavier arrow and will only achieve speeds of 290fps with a 450 grain hunting arrow."

How many of you hunt with a 350 grain arrow out of your excals?
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

When I bought my Emax, circa '05, it came w/ 357 gr GT's.
"Eze 18:21"
novacam

Post by novacam »

Thanks for the input, I always assumed it was slower in reality but never knew to what extent.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

[quote="OkXbowHunter"]I believe they're there for advertising purposes mostly. It does give a Consumer somewhat of an idea where the bow lines up with other manufacturers bows (if they're using the same weight arrow). Having said that, I doubt many Consumers know what grain of arrow is tested with which bows to achieve those fps numbers.

Manufacturers use the lightest arrows possible to achieve the highest arrow speeds possible. Few consumers understand this little fact and assume their hunting weight arrow is moving as fast as the ad says it is. Remember, 'fast' sells. It's all about selling more bows! It's called Marketing. I've never saw an add say "Our bow will smoke a lightweight 300 grain arrow at 350 fps but in all honestly, you'll more than likely be hunting with a heavier arrow and will only achieve speeds of 290fps with a 450 grain hunting arrow."

How many of you hunt with a 350 grain arrow out of your excals?[/quote

I hunt with 350gr and a COC magnus stinger with no prob.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

My ibex shoot's 298fps with a 368gr arrow and fff string...pretty close to the advertised 305.
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Boo

Post by Boo »

OkXbowHunter wrote:I believe they're there for advertising purposes mostly. It does give a Consumer somewhat of an idea where the bow lines up with other manufacturers bows (if they're using the same weight arrow). Having said that, I doubt many Consumers know what grain of arrow is tested with which bows to achieve those fps numbers.

Compound bows have a standardized arrow weight of 5 gr/lb of draw weight IBO and AMO is 9 gr/lb or draw weight. That fist figure is really light. That is with no center serving, no peep, no loop no nothing on the string. I can't remember any bow maker (of any consequence) who does not state the arrow weight somewhere and I am sure I always see 350 gr as the arrow weight. When I do see no arrow speed quoted I tend to believe the speeds are a lie. Maximus does not state their speeds (I rest my case on the lies about arrow speeds) and Fiddleton (the bows that smell like fresh dog droppings) states a 350 gr arrow. I fail to see any other way to give the buyer any other way of seeing how fast a bow is. What is needed is the IBO to set a standard for all crossbows but I don't think they'll get involved anytime soon!
M&M

Post by M&M »

I shoot a exocet and with the #1989 flemish string and a 2216 bolt and 100grn tip the manual says it should shoot 317fps I have chronographed my bow many times and I average 305fps with this set up 12fps slower and when using the #1994 excel string with same bolt and tip the manual says 302fps I get 295fps. Now I do have to say that as of now I have heard no complaints about this difference in claimed speed and actual speed by any of the deer that I have shot with it
M&M
wabi

Post by wabi »

When I first got my Phoenix the specs said 305 fps with a 350gr arrow and fastflight string. I tested it and got 304.6 fps. I kept the bow, anyway. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, I could probably have reduced the "brace height" a bit and obtained the 305 easily. :wink:
wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Speed is a fixation for some people .
For me I`m shooting 312 fps out of my Max with 2219`s . Deer are the only ones complaining . :)
The other bow is using 2216`s and haven`t even bothered to chrono . It hits where I want at 20 .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus