Foc #'s help!!!!!!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

LUDDY

Foc #'s help!!!!!!

Post by LUDDY »

Hey Folks,
I just changed to Nap 2" blazers on 20" firebolts and 100gr G5 montecs. After measuring total length with bh on they are 21 1/2" 's so I marked the center at 10 3/4" and found my balance point which was not easy and the foc on the 6 I made was 2" or 10% is that good or bad, also what is the best way to balance a bolt. Thanks for any help.

God Bless
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
Horizontal Hunter

Re: Foc #'s help!!!!!!

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I like a higher FOC for shooting fixed blades. IIRC I am around 22%.

IME there really are two options. You can use a heavy brass insert and a standard weight broadhead (100g or 125g) and get a high FOC. Or you can use one of the heavier "crossbow" broadheads like the Bolt Cutter and the lighter aluminum insert. The biggest advantage to using the heavier brass insert is that there are far more broadheads available in the 100g or 125g range than there are heavy weight (150g+) "crossbow" broadheads. Off the top of my head I can only think of 4 or 5 "crossbow" broadheads.

Excalibur pairs that arrow with a 150g Bolt Cutter broadhead for a reason. It works.

Having said all that the real question is how does that combination shoot out of your crossbow??

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
bcmuledeer

Post by bcmuledeer »

I have the vortex, 200lb and use gtII carbon arrows with brass inserts and 100 gr slicktricks. The beauty is they fly the same to 35 yards as the field points! :D
Nice and accurate even in a slight breeze.
Bill
Life is good, treat with respect and honour!
LUDDY

Post by LUDDY »

Thanks everybody for the info. Bob to answer your question I just finished them last night and will shoot them this weekend. I have just put on the S5 and have to twist the string it is stretched to the top brace mark so I am going to shorten back to the right height.

Thanks & God Bless
John
2010 Ibex
Groundponder Mount
Firebolts
G5 montecs
Varizone scope
S5 string stop

Remember life is short take somebody hunting
Bones

Post by Bones »

Been playing with this for a few days now, I found a combination that my bow ( exo 200 ) really likes. Firebolts, brass inserts, bolt cutters . In around 23% FOC , Still pulling between 298-300 fps through the chrony yesterday, and almost 92 ftlbs. I like the energy vs speed , hopefully moose will really enjoy it to.
bones
philman

Post by philman »

Bones that setup works awesome out of my equinox as well. I think its the best combo I have shot to date. :D
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

I shoot Eastens 2216 or 2219 100, and now 125 montecs. Love then! no replacement blades. I have used the brass inserts with the 2219s. Another way is After Shock have thes great tapered srew in weights around 20g.
Any of these give me enough FOC.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.