About to buy an Aixom... question and I welcome input

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Panhandler80

About to buy an Aixom... question and I welcome input

Post by Panhandler80 »

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 1&p=363383

At the link above I read...
CAC wrote:Well I did it. I picked up a Exocet with the lite stuff kit. Looked at the Axiom, nice rig, but the scope was the worst I have ever seen. Checked two to make sure the one wasn't a dud, but both were sub par. Kinda reminds me of my vision after a couple bottles of merlot. :P Chris
Is it pretty much accepted fact that the quality of Axiom kit scope is poor?

I'm probably about to buy an Axiom... love the idea of a bare bones bow. Good call on Excal's part! Same bow as the Pheonix or Ibex, for less money. I like it.

Anyway, I MAY buy the S5 system at some point. Probably won't mess with the dampner bars. Certainly didn't WANT to buy a new scope... seeing as getting into the sport with a quality bow for a little money as possible is my goal.

Will I need to buy another scope for the Axiom. If so, what's a good quality one to look at and what do they run price wise.

Also, is a 7/8 rail on the Ecals?
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
Dereck

Re: About to buy an Aixom... question and I welcome input

Post by Dereck »

you will do fine with the scope that comes with it.

Not sure what you meant by 7/8 rail
Tenpoint Matrix
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I have 2 Axioms at my house , and my scopes are very good .They might need to be focused with the ring but so did my Redfield & Nikon scopes for my rifles. My rails fit a standard weaver type ring . The Axiom scopes might not be top tier, but at archery ranges I think they are very good. Good luck and enjoy shooting it.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

the new axioms are just one comfortable piece of kit. smooth would sum it up. they are light weight and sound a little different shooting them the aluminum rail xbows. i added the s5 stoppers and its even smoother. as far as the scope id say the glass is one par with the varizone. people seem to think a non adjustable scope makes it cheap or junk. in reality theres no moving parts and by design more stout. for the yardage i need hunting i would take a fixed power scope over a variable most times.once sighted in to the bow at least theres no dial to worry about being bumped. i really wish the Axiom didnt get this cheaper budget status because it really is a full feature bow that will probably see more hunting this year than my Equinox.
Fcfbraveheart

Post by Fcfbraveheart »

I just got my Axiom, and have only shot it a couple of times. The scope is crystal clear, and I almost split the first bolt with the second bolt. And I was shooting free hand. Can't wait to zero it in. Oh, definitely get the bolt extraction tool. You will need it. This baby bury's field points.
Fcfbraveheart

Post by Fcfbraveheart »

I just got my Axiom, and have only shot it a couple of times. The scope is crystal clear, and I almost split the first bolt with the second bolt. And I was shooting free hand. Can't wait to zero it in. Oh, definitely get the bolt extraction tool. You will need it. This baby bury's field points.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I don't own an Axiom nor its scope. I spect the scope is good enuff to kill game out to 40 yds with no problem.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SScott

Post by SScott »

I think the axiom is the most visually stunning bow I have ever seen. The black rail and the green camo is just awesome. I read a review in field and stream saying the bow was very durable and accurate.

I don't know what to tell you about the scope. I'm sure it's fine for archery distances. The bow gets some great reviews. I use a peep and am not missing a scope at all, and I am sure that the scope that comes with the axiom is superior to the standard excalibur peep sight.

Happy hunting man!
birddog1520

Post by birddog1520 »

Mine works just fine, no problems at all.

Randy, The Birddog.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I have a Vixen and Axiom and just traded away my Vortex. The Axiom is my main hunting bow and the scope is just as good as any of the others I own. You may have to adjust it to get a clear picture for you, but as far as quality goes, mine has been a good one!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Wow... sounds great!

I better buy mine before the trend cathes on and the price goes up.

Really smart move on Excal to offer something like this. I can promise you they still make money on each one sold, BUT it puts an Excal in the hand of a simple and quality minded guy like me INSTEAD of a $400 Barnett that shoots 345fps. I used to be in sales and marketing for a boat manufacturing company. We built a good boat, but lost countless first time buyers to crappy builders. We finall came out with a bare bones, but high quality model and we made like a whopping $750 per boat. Plan was for long term, and it worked. We actually got some first time boat buyers who weren't focused on just price. Instead of buying the "other" brand(s) for cheap and being totally turned off by boating because the boat was a pile of dookey, they bought our "entry level brand" and got to enjoye a quality product. Gues where they went when they upgraded to a bigger boat?

I know I'll love it, and when money loosens up and it's time to upgrade, guess where I'll go... I'd be willing to bet it'll be Excalibur.

Was not trying to bash the scope, I just saw where the one poster slammed it a little and nobody said anything contrary.

Fixed scope doesn't bother me at all. It's a crossbow!

I do need a scope. Planning on putting scope in tri-rail rings in order to mount a NV monocular, an IR illuminator and a laser sight. Plan on doing some after hours sitting for coyots and hogs.

Axiom really sounds like the ticket for me. I don't own a ton of toys, but the toys that I do have are very very nice, but simple and and meant for a lifetime. Some are new, some are ancient, but I'm really looking forward to adding an Axiom to the equatoin.

RECOMMENDATION: Go with S5, but don't worry about the dampner bars?

I already own a tried and true Matthews Outback, but with recent law changes, crossbows on private property are now okay during archery. So, I don't really NEED a crossbow.. I just want to have something new. THougt about this or a huntin pistol, and a pistol would have been more money an no good for alligator. ANYWAY, in looking at trajectories and specs, this bow will be very similar to my Matthews, but more accurate... especialy considering the fact that all of my unting is out of an open ladder stand.

Should be a killing machine!

Looking forward to pulling the trigger... both on the purchase and on the Axiom.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Buy your Axiom with confidence . Unlike other products in the world . The Axiom uses ALL the same parts as say a Equinox except for the mainframe . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Other than the quick release quiver deal up front, is there any other way to mount (say with a 1/4" standard thread) an accessory up front and below the stock?

Like a tripod, a light, etc.
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

myself. mate l dont like them, l like the aluminium frame.. but each to there own, but from what our mates from the forum are saying you cant go wrong..
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

I appreciate the input.

What about the Axiom do you not like?

Also, do you know how the quicer attaches to the stock up front? If they quiver is not on there, is there a threaded hole that I can use to mount a stud for sling / bitpod / light, etc.

Thanks, PH80