Breaking in my Equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

da7703

Breaking in my Equinox

Post by da7703 »

So I started shooting this week, to get my sights set and ready for the season. Also, to work those muscles!!

I have to say, after reading about dryfires I always say to myself, "how could that happen"....but as I found myself ready to take my very first shot and switch off the safety with no arrow loaded, I got my answer. Luckily my enthusiasm gave way to a final check over and I realized the mistake. Phew!

I rigged up a pseudo-rest to get some steady shots off and work on the crosshairs. I'm shooting the firebolts with 100gr fp's. I used Rage 2 bladed 100's last year on my vert, and man what a hole! 20 yrds and and she wasn't getting back up.

Anyway, I'm guessing my answer is that my string needs to stretch (I left it cocked for an overnight stretching). The question is, why is my scope dial set to 300 to be on at 50 yrds? The string is still above the second furthest brace mark (one closest to the butt), so that's what makes me think that's my issue. Checking the chart, w/367gr I should be at 333 fps. I'm seemed to be on at all yardages at 330 today, but my whole set up is kind of a PITA to move around, so I only got off about 20 or so shots today, and only have about 40-50 shots total shooting so far.

What do you all think...gotta wait till the string stretches and then re-dial the scope? Also, at what point do I consider the string stretched and maybe work it to get the brace height better?
Deer & beer...that's why arrows and Hop Devil were made.
Boo

Re: Breaking in my Equinox

Post by Boo »

You want to break in the string by shooting the bow and wait until the string stops creeping a whole whack which it will do both. Then when you find a brace height you like make a mark on the side of the rail and then maintain. That is the point where you can really zero in your scope. Look at my website for instructions on how do adjust your scope.
Re:dry-fires :mrgreen: Someone put two pieces of masking tape on the shooter's side of the limbs. The left side said "Arrow?" and the other side said "Dummy". :lol: :lol: :lol: It worked for him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS, keep your fingers away from the deck of the rail!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

The speed dial isn't really about speed, it correlates to the scope's magnification. Higher ''speed setting" means higher magnification thereby reducing the spacing between the aim points in the reticule. Conversely, lowering it increases the spacing between the aim points thereby accommodating the more arched trajectory of a slower arrow. Sight in your bow for a 20 yard zero using the crosshair in our scope. Set your speed ring around 325 and try the aim point directly below the crosshair at 30 yards. If your arrow hits high, increase the speed setting until it's on. If it hits low, decrease the speed setting. Next try the 40 yard and 50 yard aim points (without changing the speed setting) to see how they correspond to the arrows trajectory. You may not be right on at all distance. Personally I sight mine for 20 and 40 yards and find that I have to 'fudge factor' the 30 and 50 yard hold very little.
Best luck.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
da7703

Re: Breaking in my Equinox - Update

Post by da7703 »

So, after shooting one day about 3 weeks ago, trying to dial the scope in and getting off about 80 shots or so, my serving gave out...separated, not wore out (total was about 125 shots on this string). Being smart, I just emailed Boo directly for advice. The gentleman was kind enough to speak with me on the phone.

I was worried because I kept needing to change my speed dial, though I was certain I should be at around 330, based on arrow weight. Boo let me know that after my 18th shot or so, I was pretty much wasting my time...the serving had already started separating and was giving me accuracy fits.

So I called Danny Miller ordered up a Super String and serving material. After putting the new string on for a week and just twisting it as it settled, I went out about a week ago and was spot on after hooking up the 20 yrd hairs. I had just left the dial at 330ish at the end of my last session, and it was right on.

I did some more shooting and started nailing it at 50, 40, & 30 rested....nailing it at 40, 35, 20 holding. For kicks I used a pvc pole and was killing at 50.

Then today, I came in to do a couple of hours of shooting and make sure the string was settled. After about 18 shots...the serving separated. The first instance was out from center, near the string hook. This time it was in the middle @ the nocking point. So total, I got about 50 shots this time out of the SS. Goose season is open; deer in a month, and I'm a little bummed out.

I would be perfectly happy if the serving was wearing out...everyone's said the Eq is tough on servings. But I didn't think separating would be this much of an issue. The fun to frustration factor is definitely leaning towards the frustration side. My serving jig is almost complete, so at least I'll be able to re-do myself...but considering I'm no pro and the pro's are giving out on me so quickly...looks like I'm in for a lot of practice. I'll just keep at it until everything starts working for me. I've been told subsequent servings will last longer than the first, so that's encouraging.

On a more positive side, the Eq is a dead on killing machine. When everything is right, I'm loving it..accuracy out the wazoo. Also, I have no trouble cocking it now..thanks to the folks that told me to hang in.
Last edited by da7703 on Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
da7703

Post by da7703 »

Thanks, Hank...I'm waiting on a polishing kit from Boo....hopefully any day now. This separation, though, didn't happen near the hook. Perhaps the hooks dug in, but the separation appeared at the center of the serving. I'm hangin in...500 shots would be awesome!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I named mine the 'Beast', liked it but loved the Ecet and sent the Beast home to Canada w/ Boo his 1st trip here.

I was burning up a string per week when I 1st got it. Strings were only $8-9 @ back then, so I just put new ones on.

I had a Leupold 2x7 on it w/ converted rets from Danny.
I'd set it on 7x and whack houseflys at 20 yds, [benched]they showed up good on strawberry jam baits on cardbord.
I'd get 1-2 out of 5, had to quit, was crippling too many, lol. :mrgreen:

Took me an hour to reserve 1st string, 15 minutes to cut that one off, and 20 min for good 2nd attempt. I watched Boo do one in not more than 4 min.
"Eze 18:21"
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Arer there any rough spots on your knocks? A near robin hood is hell on knocks. :D

Cant see it being the problem, but i'll throw it out there....
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-