Screw-in tree steps and me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

Screw-in tree steps and me

Post by ninepointer »

OK, so I've been using screw-in steps for many years. Common name-brand steps such as Ameristep or Gorilla.

Here's the thing. It appears to me that that hunting magazine writers use a special (perhaps magical) brand of screw-in step that is unknown to me :roll:.

I say this because every article I've ever read on this topic (the most recent is in the current issue of Field & Stream) makes it sound like steps screw into wood as easy as into butter. Just screw your steps in by hand as you go up the tree, hoist up and strap on your stand, then hoist up your gun/bow and start hunting a few minutes later. Easy-peasy, nice 'n' easy!

I don't know what kind of soft trees these guys are hunting from, but in my area even screwing steps into a poplar is no easy feat. Certainly not something you would want to do without the aid of a cordless drill to make pilot holes. Most of the time I'm installing steps into ash or oak. Regardless of the tree, for me its process that involves lots of time, drilling, clanking, grunting & groaning; not something that I would do and then immediately start hunting.

Am I missing something about tree steps? Is there an easier way to install them? I read something about sharpening them, but I'm not sure what exactly was meant by that: sharpen the point? Any tips for steps would be appreciated.
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
ninepointer

Re: Screw-in tree steps and me

Post by ninepointer »

Just a thought; anybody try waxing the threads on their tree steps before screwing into pilot holes? I can't see this as being harmful to the tree, but I stand to be corrected.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

I had a Uncle who worked for MA BELL way back when and he would have pole steps in his little MA BELL ford van and that's what we used before any co. ever thought about putting something like this on the market, they were hard to put in, then we started making our own with lag bolts and z bar and they were hard to put in also, then thank god for the climbing stand and now there a pain to carry in and out, to me there is no easy screw in steps, as far as waxing them don't stop until it's tight to the tree, hard to get them turning again.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I think there's a tool on the market, basically its a round socket with a slot in the side. Put it in a cordless drill and you good to go. I'll see if I can find a link

This is not the one i was thinking of but heres the link for one style:
http://www.treesteptool.com/

but one that goes into a drill would allow you to put more pressure on it as it screws in.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

I've used Cranford EZ steps for decades and don't have a problem getting them started. They are very, VERY sharp self tapping scres and start way easier than those steps you find at Wal-Mart (not sure what brand they are, but appear to be made from one piece of bar stock).

This year I'll be using their detachable steps and buy extra screws for additional stand locations.

I bought the 24 pack so I would have plenty to go around!

http://www.bowhunterssuperstore.com/cra ... -9086.html
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Okie,

I've read good reviews on the Cranford steps. Haven't yet checked where where (if) they are found in Canada. Thanks.
strum

Post by strum »

Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

I used screw ins for a long time and when I went on disability roughly ten years ago I started with ladder stands but I have other hunters in the area the are attracted to them like magnets. Always liked throwing a loc-on stand on my back and useing screw ins. I am trying to get back in the portable stands and found a scew in I like. Here is the link. Tell me what you think.
http://bearclawtreesteps.com/purchase%20bearclaws.html

I can screw the lag in and when I come to hunt just slip the step on and up I go. Waiting on top would be a chain on hook set up before hand to slip the stand on. Have three or four in your best spots and nobody would see the lags or the chain way up there. I think I like it. :)
da7703

Post by da7703 »

FWIW and IMHO, I used a number of climbing aids last year. For reference I was 39, 5'6" around 145# and fairly athletic.

The best for climbing was the Ameristep Rapid rails. Awesome handholds, though only 1 foot per rung. Too narrow, some claim, but worked great for me. Best part was you can grab the step rails or the side rails...I climbed them like a monkey.

They stink for packing, though. Light enough (I had the steel, but only ever took 3 sections, though I had 4...I started up with strap-ons), but cumbersome. I have a tailhook backpack, so with the bow/CB on my back there's not much room to carry these back there. I had to carry in-hand, along w/my strap-on stand. They're also like church bells if you let the metal hook hit the rail...booooooiiiiiinnnnnngggg!

The easiest to pack/carry were the Cranford strap-ons. The downside to them was a small footprint to step on, the hassle of strapping (obviously different than screw-ins), and figuring out placement (again, no issue with screw-ins). Ultimately, I thought them too small, too slippery, and unable to inspire climbing confidence. Really, they were pretty scary at times...and I never even made it to hunt in snow/icy conditions.

Lastly, I bought the Lone Wolf sticks. I see many similar models on the market now, some that include steps on both sides or two at the top and bottom to facilitate standing even...great for hanging the stand. They're light and stackable, but you definitely need 4...and they're spendy. I see much cheaper options available now...oh well. I bought the carry strap, so I can sling them over my shoulder and they don't interfere with my pack. One strap around the tree that's quiet, a breeze to secure, and sure footing. I had bought a tree saddle, so I would wear that into the woods, bow on backpack, and sticks over the shoulder...light, easy, and I felt much, much more confident. I'll probably use two strap-on steps this year to get a bit higher before I hang the first stick...that's where these smaller steps seem to be ideal.

YMMV......some of my experiences were practice sessions prior to taking the field, too.
Deer & beer...that's why arrows and Hop Devil were made.
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

i hear ya my friend, and i no longer use them for a couple reasons.. 1) it's much harder then advertised, especially when you have to put 15 of them or more in... 2) i find it a pain and dangerous to climb in the dark and during wet weather and in winter. mud and snow collects on your boots and makes it a disaster to climb. what i find works best, i take an old ( from a yard sale or if you have one laying around, maybe a friend has one) aluminum ladder and i spray paint it camo. 3 cans of this paint from TSC costs about $25 approx. then i take it to the bush and set it up, ratchet strap to tree then chain to tree. i had one i got for free 2 years ago, it looked great. so good that someone stole it ( my fault, didn't have chain on it). gonna do the same this year but chain the darned thing to the tree. you could also use an old wooden ladder, but i still don't trust them, don't want it breaking.. i like the aluminum, it's durable and light..
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

da7703 wrote:Lastly, I bought the Lone Wolf sticks. I see many similar models on the market now, some that include steps on both sides or two at the top and bottom to facilitate standing even...great for hanging the stand. They're light and stackable, but you definitely need 4...and they're spendy. I see much cheaper options available now...oh well. I bought the carry strap, so I can sling them over my shoulder and they don't interfere with my pack. One strap around the tree that's quiet, a breeze to secure, and sure footing. I had bought a tree saddle, so I would wear that into the woods, bow on backpack, and sticks over the shoulder...light, easy, and I felt much, much more confident. I'll probably use two strap-on steps this year to get a bit higher before I hang the first stick...that's where these smaller steps seem to be ideal.
I also bought the Lone Wolf Sticks and a Tree Saddle last year. I push 350lbs and they did okay. I have a big foot and the steps felt a little small. One of the things I like about the Cranfords is that they point upward a bit and they have a lip out on the end. To me, they feel more secure.

I'm also considering buying the rapid rails this year to use in areas that don't allow screw in steps. I've heard nothing but good things from them. The biggest complaint i've hard is because one foot is always higher than the other, but I'm used to that. They've also come out with a wide model, but I don't think I'd like the extra weight! I'm carrying enough stuff into the woods already!
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I find the Lone Wolf sticks much easier to deal with than screw in steps. I do have the cordless drill piece that makes putting them in easy, but you have to carry the darn drill around with you.

I tried a Treesaddle, but just couldn't get comfortable in one.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

When talkin' about screwing in the steps in with a drill, if you're talkin' about this gizmo, better read the reviews on it. I haven't seen too many favorable ones.

http://www.basspro.com/Ameristep%C2%AE- ... 4/-1258576
strum

Post by strum »

OkXbowHunter wrote:When talkin' about screwing in the steps in with a drill, if you're talkin' about this gizmo, better read the reviews on it. I haven't seen too many favorable ones.

http://www.basspro.com/Ameristep%C2%AE- ... 4/-1258576
i tried one..i felt it was the biggest piece of doo i ever brought home..took it right back ..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
strum

Post by strum »

one shot scott wrote:I think there's a tool on the market, basically its a round socket with a slot in the side. Put it in a cordless drill and you good to go. I'll see if I can find a link

This is not the one i was thinking of but heres the link for one style:
http://www.treesteptool.com/

but one that goes into a drill would allow you to put more pressure on it as it screws in.
has anyone here used this tool?..
i ordered one today because i put up a stand yesterday and maybe im getting old but man those steps wore me out.. :(
so im hoping this will help on the next one..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony