What grain broadhead for Firebolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

new2xbow

What grain broadhead for Firebolts

Post by new2xbow »

OK reading about FOC and such, what grain broadhead gets you close to the "ideal" FOC with stock firebolts?
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
MDBOWHUNTER

Re: What grain broadhead for Firebolts

Post by MDBOWHUNTER »

Depends on which xbow you're shooting. I have an equinox and shoot firebolts w/brass inserts so that I can use all these 100gr slik tricks I have. Sometimes you just have to experiment.

Good Luck
D
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

ain't got tha "beast"... but got tha "TEX" and that don't
stand fer texas neither :lol:
i shoot 125 spifires for whitetail and sometimes use 100gr for them kiyots.

since i got them speed demons from L&S.. i'll be using 100gr spits
from now on for them kiyots..........@ 320fps with stock string 8)
might be over 330... with tha boo string thats on its way

FOC is all good,....but like said... "experiment" is much more rewarding
with different situations :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Got me a "TEX" also!! :lol: :lol:
Shooting 318fps with a JBK string and stock firebolts, 125gr spitfire's...DEADLY :!: :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

OK anyone have experience with the stock firebolt as it comes with the axiom SMF kit with aluminum inserts and x-act mechanicals? I am just worried about the 100gr x-act being a little too light and unstable but would like to have the little extra speed to help outrun the string spook.

You have to realize i am kind of on a budget (20% cut back at work) so i have to mind pennies. Hence i can't do alot of "experimenting" at $40 a pack.

I guess i could go get a pack of 100gr field points to try the weight out. or i can stick with bolt cutters at 150gr
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

G Spot

Post by G Spot »

I am new to crossbow hunting and have just purchased my first crossbow, an Exomax, I have a question regarding the broadheads. If I sight my scope in using the provided field tips, do I need to re-sight it in when I use the 150 grain Bolt Cutter broad heads?
wayne

Post by wayne »

new2xbow wrote:OK anyone have experience with the stock firebolt as it comes with the axiom SMF kit with aluminum inserts and x-act mechanicals? I am just worried about the 100gr x-act being a little too light and unstable but would like to have the little extra speed to help outrun the string spook.

You have to realize i am kind of on a budget (20% cut back at work) so i have to mind pennies. Hence i can't do alot of "experimenting" at $40 a pack.

I guess i could go get a pack of 100gr field points to try the weight out. or i can stick with bolt cutters at 150gr
With the wifes Ibex (same 175 pound as the Axiom) in our testing, she shoots the same size group with the X-act, as she does with a 100 grain target tip, with the stock firebolt arrows at 20 & 30 yards.
We also found that to be the same with my Vortex, at 20-50 yards, also.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I use 100 grain broadheads with my Firbolts from my Vortex. I've never tried checking the FOC, but I'm happy with my accuracy.
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

really, from what i have experianced. if you site it using field points of 100 & 125gr. the spitfires with the same weight have excellent results compared
to the field points. in other words...................
VERY LITTLE DIFFERENCE IN POA/POI
BETWEEN FP'S & MBH'S of simular weight :mrgreen:
least thatsa what i've found :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
AndreTTOW

Post by AndreTTOW »

new2xbow wrote:OK anyone have experience with the stock firebolt as it comes with the axiom SMF kit with aluminum inserts and x-act mechanicals? I am just worried about the 100gr x-act being a little too light and unstable but would like to have the little extra speed to help outrun the string spook.

I got the X-Act's just a few days ago and got 100gr field points to practice. Shoots perfet dead center just as before. Didn't even adjust a thing. I'm guessing 50gr don't make that much a difference at such distances.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. - Honourable John Gilbert "Jack" Layton (July 18, 1950 – August 22, 2011)
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Thanks guys, these are the answers i was looking for, like i said i am on a budget so can't spend alot of money on trying different broadheads or replacement blades from re-zeroing.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

j.krug

Post by j.krug »

G Spot wrote:I am new to crossbow hunting and have just purchased my first crossbow, an Exomax, I have a question regarding the broadheads. If I sight my scope in using the provided field tips, do I need to re-sight it in when I use the 150 grain Bolt Cutter broad heads?
Welcome to the forum G Spot. If your field points are also 150gr then you will not have to re-sight your crossbow assuming your boltcutters are flying true. If the field points are not 150 gr then you will most likely need to adjust,
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Well picked up my x-act broadheads yesterday along with a 6pack of arrows and some 100gr field points. Hopefully today gonna confirm zero with the field points and let fly the x-acts. If they fly right and group good will get a couple more packs on order.

Now the next question, I am in for draws for black bear sanctuary tags. If i'm drawn, stick with x-acts or get some boltcutters at 150gr?

My plan is boltcutters but want reassurance.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

I've never used the X-act broadheads, but 100 grains will give you plenty of energy for black bears. I've taken one with a 100 grain Rocket Steelheads and another with a 100 grain NAP Nitron. Both passed through easily.