BROADHEAD FLIGHT CONCERN

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wayne

BROADHEAD FLIGHT CONCERN

Post by wayne »

While testing some b/h's - One of the ones I been testing is a 100 grain, 1 1/4" Grizz Trick 4 blade, when POI is tested with a 100 grain, X-Act, 100 grain Grim Reaper, or a 100 grain target tip. The GrizzTrick hits 2.5 to 3 inches lower everytime at 20 yards, (left & right is on the mark). Tried firebolts & carbon express maxium arrows, it did not matter, that head hit low, no matter the arrow it was on. I put the head on a scale & it was right on at 100 grains.
My thought was, a 100 grain blunt tip will hit lower then a 100 grain target tip, because of how it fly's though the air. I'am I on the right track here, or I am missing something???
Has anyone else found this big of a drop in POI, when comparing a 100 grain grizztrick to a 100 grain target tip or mech???
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
OkXbowHunter

Re: BROADHEAD FLIGHT CONCERN

Post by OkXbowHunter »

One of the reasons I quit using 100 Slick Tricks (Magnums) is because they would not hit where my field points hit. I switched to G5 Stryker broadheads and they hit the same place where my field points hit.

If I remember right, the ST's hit to the right and a little lower than where my field points hit. It was only about 2 to 3 inches, but still annoying.
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

i had similar results and is the reason i went back to rage,i can shoot target points all summer long and screw in the rage 2 blade and know it will hit the same as target points without having to do a re-sightin before season
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I'd be more concerned with how they group. If they group well, adjust your sights accordingly if you plan to hunt with them and practice with dummy blades or sacrifice one good one to practice with. That is, if you think they will perform well on deer of course.
In the Wind.......
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

This reminds me of an economy class I had at VT. Macro or Micro . . .how do you want to manage your set-up? There are several arguments about which is more effective and when it's more effective. There is probably room for both in most cases.

I did some micro-managing in my early days with the crossbow. Once I got comfortable with the weapon I had in my hands, the projectiles it shoots, the maintenance . . .just an overall comfort feeling with the crossbow's sensitivities, then I started macro-managing.

Where am I going you ask?

Looking at the macro part of the picture, I wanted a set-up that worked with all the game I hunt. I wanted it to work with all the projectiles I shoot. Basically, I didn't want to do a lot of adjusting when switching from targets to small game to big game. I just wanted to pick up the bow, load the appropriate projectile and fire away.

There are a lot of broadhead options. You can certainly find some that hit the same spot as your field tips when fired out of your bow. There is no need for the "extra" effort in order to "fix" a sensitive broadhead.

Mechanicals will be less sensitive than the fixed blades simply because of the exposed blades. However, you can find either that work.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen