removing string without "stringing aid"

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Panhandler80

removing string without "stringing aid"

Post by Panhandler80 »

I see where it is addressed briefly in FAQ, but there's no video of it.

I am ready to monkey around a little bit with brace height, but I forgot to order a stringing aid.

Right now my string is about 1/4" off my S5 suppressor pad. Was going to lower brace heigth a little bit... to the "credit card width" off the pads.

Do I need to order / wait on a strining aid? I guess I could make something, but I really odn't feel like doing that OR waiting on aid.

Thanks
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
Old Jim

Re: removing string without "stringing aid"

Post by Old Jim »

You better order an aid. Without one you could muck up your crossbow and yourself.
OkXbowHunter

Post by OkXbowHunter »

There's a video somewhere, either on the Excal site or on the Internet I believe, where Danny Miller demonstrates how to unstring an Excal without an stringer. Makes it look easy, but I know better, I use a stringing aid!!! :D
Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison; And make me savoury meat, such as I love, and bring it to me, that I may eat; that my soul may bless thee before I die. Gen 27:3-4
strum

Post by strum »

there is a video on excal..but if your 1/4" just wait itll get closer..happy shootin
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
Boo

Post by Boo »

Everyone should have a stringing aid. The credit card thickness gap really is a minimum gap. The wider the gap the less shock and noise reduction but a 1/4" is no big deal really.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Thanks everybody.

I'll just keep shooting it for now. I have not yet had the chance to really fine tune scope. What I was trying to acheive (and possible rush) was going ahead and getting the BH wher I want it before really tinkering with scope.

I'll just dial it in now and then check zero / BH every now and then between now and deer season.

I the meantime, I guess I"ll get a stringing aid on order. I just made a copule perfect litle rings out of straboard (high density poly product), but even the parachute cord I had on hand stretched too much. I don't want to risk messing something up... fibers in trigger mechanism, stringing aid string failure with limbs pointed at ground etc. Whta's $20 at this point!?

THanks agin,

PH80
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Well,

That didn't take long.

Two shots at 10 yards and it looked like it needed 4 clicks down. I went 5 down and 1 up. Next two bolts dead on... in the black.

Stepped target off to 20 yards and got this here...

This is not to say that I never got groups like this with my vertical bow, but I certainly didn't in my first 4 shots! I have not yet shot the crossbow offhand. I suspect that with no rest my groups will be about like the vertical bow, if not slightly worse, but boy... with a rest, this is one neat little machine. Don't think I can say that I like it any BETTER than the V bow, but it is cool as all get out and it will definitely find plenty of field time! I'm positive that I'll have more fun with this than a hunting pistol.

Back to the bow...

I'm at my fiance's house now and 20 yards is as far as I can shoot from a bench without having a safe back drop. Suffice it to say, I"m pretty confident that it will be on at 30 as well. All I did was make sure my scope was good and tight, was careful to cock as evenly as possible, and then just watched my trigger squeeze just like you would do with a rifle. Pretty darn simple!

Have not yet shot any game, but as a lifelong rifle and shotgoun hunter / shooter and a vertical bow hunter for the past 6 years, I would rate the Excal Axiom as follows:

Value: 9/10
Quality: 8/10
Accuracy: 9.5/10
Entry level bow: 10+/10

It feels a bit slower than my old V bow, but I knew this going in and I don't care one iota! Afte gator season I'll have a custom string on there and I should pick up that 12-15fps that folks talk about it. That being said, I would rate speed a little bit low, but there's no point because I knew it would be a bit on the slow side before I bought it. DIdn't care then and I don't care now because it will be one d-e-a-d criter that tempts me within 30 yards.

As to noise... I don't know enough to rank that, but I by no means found it alarming.

All in alll it's a 9+/10 for this newbie!
vh64

Post by vh64 »

Awesome, crossbows are addictive more than vertical bows to me because I've got 2 and I want more....way more. My wife says crossbows should come with a counseling CD by Dr. Phil. Lol
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

g'day mate, this clip in the excalibur dvd is of danny miller with a carved tip model straight riser fitting a string, very easy done..but if you have moulded limbs & forward mounted riser my advice is dont thats a driffrent ball game ok. regards frank
JUST FIGHTING TO SURVIVE..