Broadhead problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Legnip

Re: Broadhead problems

Post by Legnip »

vixenmaster wrote:Whats the fletching angle ? Straight 4degree offset or helical ? Whats the vane length ? These also play a big part in the accuracy with fixed bladed BH's.I have some 100 gr Rage 2 bladed BH's a friend sent me to try out this Fall. I have been looking at the huge dia. of these things, meaning you had better have plenty of speed & or weight to push these things through a deer if'en you hit anywhere but the ribs!
The vanes are straight and 4". I think that you will be OK with the penetration. The KE is what counts.
bartbouse

Post by bartbouse »

After shooting recently and trying several broadheads including the Muzzy MX-4 my suggestion is quit doubting Excalibur and go with their recommendations i.e. either the 150 gr. boltcutter or 100 gr x-act. I got horrible results with several others.
bartbouse

Post by bartbouse »

P.S. Maybe I'm stating the obvious. But, why mess with Excalibur's recommendations. I know some people have to tinker. I don't have time to tinker too much. Get firebolts and boltcutters or xacts and quit wasting time and go hunt.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Legnip wrote: The vanes are straight and 4". .
I suggest at least 4 degree offset.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Another thing to look at is was the arrow cut square if you get a poor cutting job on the arrow the inserts will not be perfectly squared with the shaft causing planing.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
Legnip

Post by Legnip »

Well, I changed the string this weekend, added a couple twists to increase the brace height slightly. It's shooting better, but I'm still trying to dial it in. Still have 2219's but I'm using 5" fletching now. The fletchings didn't stay on too well. So, I'll need to re-fletch the arrows again. The 4" vanes still have a different P.O.I. than the 5" at 20 yards. I'm a step closer, but not there yet.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Number your arrows and shoot them and mark their POI. If each arrow has it's own POI then look at the arrowshaft, nocks, fletching or broadhead.
If the arrows are eliminated and everything is tight then try another scope.
The last thing you check is tiller. If your tiller is off your POI will be erratic. Higher FOC and more fetching offset can make a big difference and if it does not then contact Danny Miller assuming you are from the US.
BTW, it's sometimes easier help you if you fill in your location.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I have no doubt that your problem is simply that your arrows are fletched straight. If you put some offset of helical on your vanes they will shoot 100% better as long as your choice of broadhead is reasonable. This is the #1 reason people get problems with broadhead flight.
CBRon

Post by CBRon »

I shoot 2219's from my phoenix. 4'' feathers-ten point nock- aluminum insert-Boltcutters , 475grains... They fly same as feild points... Last year I tryed a few 125gr. heads and they were off 2'' at 20 yards... going 280fps. with boltcutters....Ron
VIXEN 2 , PHOENIX
GGC

Post by GGC »

If the arrows are indeed straight, try shooting with a different vane down. Just mark a vane and see if there is any change. Try another vane down until you get some positive results. This is guessing you are shooting flat nocks. You said the arrows were not shot often, but one bad pull from the target and you have an arrow that is bent and may look fine. Putting some spin on them will no doubt make your groups shrink. Been there and done that. Went to carbon with 2" quik spin and got really good groups with a lot of different broadheads. Keep trying and good luck.
Legnip

Post by Legnip »

GGC wrote:.....Went to carbon with 2" quik spin and got really good groups with a lot of different broadheads. Keep trying and good luck.
I contacted Arizona EZ Fletch. They recommended using the 2" helical for the best flight. The 5" vanes with a 1 degree offset are shooting better, but not good enough for a 40 yard shot. Do you like the "Quick Spin" vanes?
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Legnip wrote: I contacted Arizona EZ Fletch.
I did the same thing a few years ago. Basically, they told me that the shorter the vane, the more offset you need to achieve the same spin.

There are negatives to adding too much offset. Loss of downrange speed and noise.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
GGC

Post by GGC »

In a word, Yes. You can fletch your own or do the shrink fletch version. If you do your own, the vanes only need a slight offset. There is a little kicker on the vane to impart the spin. Practice with your hunting broadheads, and shoot off the most solid rest possible. That eliminates most of our own error and will build your own confidence level. You don't need to second guess when the moment of truth arrives, just shoot and bring home your trophy.
Legnip

Post by Legnip »

GGC wrote:In a word, Yes. You can fletch your own or do the shrink fletch version.....
I was going to buy the helical jig at Bass Pro, but they didn't have one. So, I bought the 3" Quick Spins that you dip in hot water. They worked pretty well. The 125 grain practice heads flew pretty well at 30 yards. The 125 grain 4 blade Muzzy was about 12" low and to the left. I say about because it missed the target completely. Looks like I'll stick with the Rage.

The shrink wrap Quick Spins seem to be fairly straight. I'm going to order the helical fletching jig that is made for bolts. I'll try the helical fletching with the Quick Spins. Hopefully that get me close to hitting a dot at 40 yards.
GGC

Post by GGC »

Don't do that. The quik spin vanes are made with a little raised flap on the rear edge of the vane. The recommended offset is only about 1 degree or less. Check their website. You'll be wasting your money with that combo or go with blazers with the helical.