should i worry

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rod

should i worry

Post by rod »

i know xbows are loud, should i woory about it? it the secound one i have had one was barnett and how exclaibur , i was thinking about some of those limbsavers stuff but i dont know xbow shoot great i feel if i do my job ill be say what uncle ted says " where have we see this before " bloody bolt , but just whated to know what you guy think?? thanks rod :?:
georgiaboy

Re: should i worry

Post by georgiaboy »

Many things in this world to worry about...how loud your bow is ain't one of them my friend!!
Keep your shot's in reasonable bow range and the critter's won't mind a bit!!! :mrgreen: Good luck and congrats on your excal!! :D
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

A string stopper is your best bet, some sound and vibration reduction with some added dryfire protection.
I have dryfired mine with a string stopper on it and no damage except to the rubber on the stoppers.

You will never get your bow quiet enough so they won't here it.But it is fun playing around with different accs.

several have tried the stick on limbs savers and they tend to go flying after a few shots.
Tenpoint Matrix
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Nah, just wear ear plugs. Just sayin...
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Boo

Post by Boo »

Loose fasteners can cause noise. But the bottom line is no, you should not worry about the amount of noise. If you want to reduce noise then that's a different story.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Like everyone is saying, don't worry about the noise too much. You can add accessories to lessen the twang and vibration some but you will never get it to be real quiet, but if you want to make it quieter go ahead. I put the S5 on my Vortex and it took some twang out and dampened the noise a bit but you can still hear it bark when I shoot.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
strum

Post by strum »

two words.........cat whiskers
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
M&M

Post by M&M »

two words.........cat whiskers .......... I don't know about that one you could have a heck of a fight trying to pull the wiskers off of a cat, they don't seem to like it much! All kidding aside there is no need to worry at reasonable ranges by the time they react to the sound of the bow the arrow is allready through the deer! Happy Hunting
M&M
wabi

Post by wabi »

I don't worry about the noise, but the deer should!
I use a Phoenix with the DBs removed, no limbsavers, string stoppers, or other attachments, and it makes some noise. But a deer within my personal shot range limits (I try to limit shots to under 30 yards) is in big trouble when it hears that thump.
I do have catwhiskers on most of my strings, but that's just because I purchased them (Boo strings) that way. The ones without the whiskers work, too. :lol:

You will never get the crossbow so quiet a deer can't hear it. All the silencer additions are for the shooter's comfort more than anything else. Not saying they can't be important! Take a magnum handgun in an enclosed area and try to make 6 accurate shots while wearing no hearing protection. You'll soon realize the noise CAN be a huge factor when it comes to accuracy. :wink:
As long as you can shoot your crossbow accurately without any noise (and perhaps even more importantly - vibration!) dampers installed you should be able to hunt as effectively without them. If the noise & vibration bother you to the extent it's affecting accuracy, then hang them on there until you find what you like.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

You will drive yer self nuts worrying about shot noise! This one didn't mind it
Nor this one!
Nor this one!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Rod . . .there are some benefits to having a quieter bow. However, they are all for the user. Less vibes, less noise, smoother shooting . . .all user issues.

I like a quieter bow. I think everyone here would gladly trade their "loud Exomax" or "loud Vixen" for a "quiet Exomax" or "quiet Vixen" . . .or whatever your bow of choice happens to be because it's more pleasant to shoot.

However, either loud or quiet will be just as effective out to 35 to 40 yards. The deer can not react fast enough to avoid the arrow. There was an article in Field and Stream not long ago discussing this issue and the math proved the deer had no chance at short yardage.

I'd even like a silent .270, but, can't afford it. :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
gendoc

Post by gendoc »

georgiaboy wrote:Many things in this world to worry about...how loud your bow is ain't one of them my friend!!
Keep your shot's in reasonable bow range and the critter's won't mind a bit!!! :mrgreen: Good luck and congrats on your excal!! :D
as georgiaboy says.......reasonable range, thats the most economical and positive way to keep it quiet for the one your aim'n at :mrgreen:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Quiet is not in the xbow world, the only buck I shot last yr. stopped dead in his tracks on a 20yd. shot,as to say what just happened, a few minutes later took 4 steps fell with a couple of kicks. Now he heard the max send the magnus thru his heart but the sound of the shot didn't make him run a hundred yd dash, how ever my buddy text me and asked if I got it he was 250 to 300 away heard my shot like I was in the tree next to him, he didn't know a xbow was as load as they are, I didn't either, So I wouldn't worry, go hunting have fun.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers