unloading my excals

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

seabee401

unloading my excals

Post by seabee401 »

Does anyone un-cock their excals w/their rope cocking aid after hunting instead of discharging into a target bag? I have a Phoenix and Exocet 200. I am new to this but have used my stringing aid to replace, change, and adjust brace ht. several times. have watched the inst. video on this and am comfortable but careful.Was wondering if it is that much more difficult to un-cock from full draw weight w/cocking aid. And if its worth risking rather than discharging into a bag? I'm still a little nervous because I know the total weight and the length of rope cocking aid will both be greater than using stringing aid to replace or adjust strings.
Thanks in advance for everyones experience and knowledge here on this forum. I have learned alot about my new excals here.
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
flightattendant100

Re: unloading my excals

Post by flightattendant100 »

I un-cock my Exomax w/the rope cocker. It is the only way I have ever done it. It is a little un-nerving the first time I guess but it is simple and easy.I dont think that you have any worries just follow the video.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I use the cocking aid all the time to uncock by crossbow.

If done correctly it is safe. The way I do it is, with my right foot in the stirrup, I start by attaching both hooks facing up, instead of down. Then using my right hand, I grasp the string of the cocking aid just below the handle on the right and pull up slowly until the left handle is against the hook on the left side of the crossbow. Then I continue to pull up on the right handle putting enough force to lift the string off the trigger latch. Then with my left hand I squeeze the trigger and slowly lower my right hand until the crossbow string comes to a full rest.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Normous

Post by Normous »

I add to the above good post to double check and varify that the arrow has been removed from the deck before rope un-cocking.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
bdog

Post by bdog »

And don't forget to remove your arrow first.......
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I`ll triple that .
Make sure you have NO ARROW on the deck . :shock:
Know of a person who didn`t look close enough . Thank goodness for a steel shank .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Yes, I'll 4x that. :!: :!:

In all the years I've uncocked my crossbow I've never forgot to remove the arrow...well with one exception. I always remove the arrow before I decend my tree stand, shoulder my crossbow and walk back to my car.

However on this particular occasion, since there was still enough light, I reloaded the arrow and continued to still-hunt while walking back to my car. When I got there it was just dark enough that I didn't see the arrow still on the rail.

Well as I was slowing lowering the string I felt a bit of resistance, as the broadhead touched my boot. :o :shock:

Luckily I had no problem lifting the string enough with just my right hand, while I removed the arrow with my left hand. :) Even so the broadhead contacted and scraped my boot enough to make a small cut into the leather. :(

I got off easy, and I learned another lesson that day. :wink:
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
strum

Post by strum »

I been there done that got the t-shirt..er the scar..
remove the arrow first..its the law :D
but that is the best way to uncock..dont worry after a few time youll find it very easy to do and quiet..i always do it before decending my tree..also when changing strings or just putting some twists in i use the rope cocker with the stringing aid to let it back down..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
deerhunter0430

Post by deerhunter0430 »

flightattendant100 wrote:I un-cock my Exomax w/the rope cocker. It is the only way I have ever done it. It is a little un-nerving the first time I guess but it is simple and easy.I dont think that you have any worries just follow the video.
thats the way i always do it myself..
2010 equinox,groundpounder,boo string.S5,100 gr grim reapers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I thought you were selling your Excals from the topic title. :lol:

I have uncocked without using the aid. . .but, it is so much easier to use the aid. Just got to have the rope the right length.

If you think you may forget to take an arrow out, then use 22" arrows.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I always uncock my Xbow using the rope cocker. It's easy to do but as mentioned above just remember to remove the arrow first. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

j.krug wrote:I always uncock my Xbow using the rope cocker. It's easy to do but as mentioned above just remember to remove the arrow first. :)
X2
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Normally unload, use my rope cocker. Tried uncocking using just my bare hand, after which I wished I had used a leather glove. :D
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
lscha

Post by lscha »

sumner4991 wrote:I thought you were selling your Excals from the topic title. :lol:
I thought so too. I was reaching for my money! :lol:
Laura
Vixen II/Optimizer/RamCats/NGSS
Camx
Boo strings, top mounts
[url]http://www.michigancrossbowfederation.org[/url]
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Crossbow-Federation/122974954384381
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Hey, thanx for the helpful replies. I knew I would get the info I was looking for here! Lots of knowledge and experience from several different people who looked from different angles from their own experiences. Made me confident enough to try yet cautious enough not to overlook the obvious,like making sure the arrow has been removed 1st!I could see how easily that can be forgotten. especially if you've never hunted w/ crossbow before like me.
Sorry to have misled some of you w/ the wording of my "topic". Didn't realize it till after I read the replies of those who picked up on it!Guess it really does look like a sales pitch! Would'nt part w/ my excals . I think I'd sell my furniture first>That would make more room and money for more excalibur's! lol!
Thanx again
Tom
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310