Excalibur Mods

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rialtosound

Excalibur Mods

Post by rialtosound »

First off, Excalibur makes the very best crossbows on the market. They are reliable, accurate and bombproof. However, I admit that I can never leave well enough alone. I don't read a lot about mods on the forum so here goes. As an avid gun shooter and amateur gunsmith, I am always looking to make good things better. There really wasn't much I could do to the Excaliber.... but I had to try. First off, here's the caveat... DO NOT MESS WITH ANY FIREARM/CROSSBOW IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. You could cause damage to your crossbow, void your warranty or injure yourself. I'm deadly serious. You try this stuff and ruin it, it's your fault. So first, I tore apart the bow to look at the trigger. Be prepared to battle loctite. I gotta say the mechanism is one stout piece of milled hardware. Took it apart (Therefore voiding my warranty) and mirror polished what needed to be polished. Since there's steel parts in there, I cleaned up a little rust. I did NOT mess with the sear at all. There is no reason lighten the trigger pull for any reason on these things. The trigger holds back a tremendous amount of energy when there's a load on it. Then, I had to mess with the trigger lever itself. I cannot stand the harsh angle on the trigger bar where your index finger goes. I lightly rounded the edge with a dremel tool and now this thing is perfect for me. Anyone else try anything besides stocks?
Dereck

Re: Excalibur Mods

Post by Dereck »

I have had the trigger done by a member on this forum and it makes a huge difference.
I have been toying with the idea of shaping the trigger where your finger sits as well could you post up a pic to show how much you took off.
Tenpoint Matrix
rialtosound

Post by rialtosound »

I'll get some photos together as to how much I took off. I also forgot to mention cleaning up the "Claw" mechanism that holds the string. The molding process adds a lot of pits and abnormalities that can wear the serving. While it was apart I took some 400 Grit paper to smooth it out a bit and then buffed it up. It's a sweet deal.
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Triggers, stocks, and strings. Thats about all you can do outside of accessories. There are lots of string options available. I like Boo strings. I just got a pair in the mail and believe me when I tell you there is a difference. I will never use anything else.
I like my stock as is and did a polish job on my trigger with some good advice from the best stringmaker in the biz. After two years of tinkering, my Exomax is dressed to kill.
In the Wind.......
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I would imagine that opening up the trigger ass'y will void your lifetime warranty. For me, that's too valuable to lose. Gary
rialtosound

Post by rialtosound »

I've been toying with the idea of putting a video together on how to do a trigger job for the excalibur but have been very concerned about people screwing it up and trying to sue me. Would anyone be interested on a do it yourself trigger video for the excalibur?
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I would seriously re-consider that for the very reason you mentioned. JMO
In the Wind.......
mikej

Post by mikej »

i really can't see how anybody could sue you for putting together a video showing them how to polish their trigger . its is only a how to video the liability falls on the owner, it is a try this AT YOUR OWN RISK situation . anybody that followed your instructions knew what they were attempting and knew the risks involved. just like it is not excals problem or responsibility to fix your bow if something goes wrong it would not be your responsibility either if someone else attempted this and failed . i could give you detailed instructions on how to rob a bank but who would be at fault, you for trying it or me for telling you how to do it?
If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Believe me, someone will try and some horses-ass of a lawyer will take the case. Who needs it?
In the Wind.......
timbikeride

Post by timbikeride »

The web is full of videos and instructions on working on various firearm triggers. I think the Excalibur trigger video would be fantastic.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I've thought of sending my trigger to Boo and having him polish it, but every time I think about doing it I end up asking myself, "Why?"
It's already very good, so why take the bow apart and chance trusting it to the postal service?
wabi
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Valid point Wabi . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus