Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Huntsman

Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Post by Huntsman »

I bring this question up because this evening I test fired the following;
Excal Equinox, Bow Tech Stryker 350, Darton Serpent, 10 Pt Turbo XLT, 6 Pt GT Mag and lastly a Wicked Ridge Invader.
The Equinox was the LOUDEST (no S5 installed) followed by the W.R. Invader. The quietest was the Stryker followed by the Darton.

I rally want to get a crossbow and I was set on the Excalibur. But man was it loud. Hmmmm?
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
mchurch

Re: Best way to quiet an Excalibur?

Post by mchurch »

I think the S5, Flemish string and heavier arrows will really quiet the bow down. I have owned the Excal Equinox, Bowtech Strykeforce, Tenpoint Phantom, darton Serpent Limited 2. The only one I kept was the Excal Equinox. I have a Vortex on order from Danny Miller. Excal is second to none.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
Huntsman

Post by Huntsman »

2nd to none. Thats what I keep hearing. I keep reading about their outstanding accuracy & simplicity compared to compound xbows too. What about Limbsavers?
50/50 undecided :?
Axiom w/Excalibur stock accessories
Matrix 350 LE w/Excalibur stock accessories
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Lots of things help a little. The best thing is a heavy arrow. But I doubt most will do that to quiet the beast......... :lol:
In the Wind.......
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

Just think about this....

If you break a string in the field what happens?

Compound you pack up and head to your mechanics shop IF he is open.

Excal, you take 2 minutes and change it with the spare and stringing aid and get back to hunting!!!

That has to be the absolute biggest reason i went with excal.

As far as noise all i have done with my axiom was add the S5, it made a bit of a difference and definately lesseined the shock to my hands.

And doing the math

sound travels at 1125 fps, 30 yds, 90 feet about .08 seconds
my axiom is shooting 298 fps 90 feet about .33 seconds
so i figure the deer has about a 1/4 second head start, I like my chances!!!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Boo

Post by Boo »

Add cat whiskers and a string made from either Dacron or 452X to lower noise.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

With all due respect, I think most of the bows you listed are compounds, with the exception of the equinox and the GT mag. A recurve crossbow will never be as quiet as a compound. There are pluses and negs to both. the neg of the recurve crossbow is noise and the best way to quiet the excal is with the S5, and a boo string with whiskers. With that combo the bow will still have a thump to her, but the thump of the arrow hitting the target(or deer) will be louder :D The downside of a recurve crossbow is also width but it does not require constant tuning and does not need to be pressed to change a string. With the compound almost everything you need to do maintenance wise requires a press. My excal is almost maintenance free except for the reserving of the string. This is alot more info than you asked for I guess :lol: and your likely aware of all of it anyways, but thats what sells excaliburs. And excal is a lifetime bow. I have never heard of one wearing out!!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

dry fire a compound xbow and tell us what happens :lol: ....dry fire an excalibur and keep shooting :wink: ..........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

S5's and cat whiskers as well as heavier arrows will knock the noise down some but it will never be "quiet". Go with an Excal and don't worry about it...you won't regret it. I've always said the deer are bothered more by the arrow passing through them than they are by the sound of the shot! :wink:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
vh64

Post by vh64 »

Hi huntsman, If you like the bow I would just buy it because I've read a lot on a lot of different forums and I haven't come across anything where noise from shooting a crossbow was a problem harvesting game. Now as loud as crossbows are you'd think this would be discussed as much as arrows and lube. Yes I would try to get rid of as much noise as possible and you could try the lighter poundage Excaliburs too. But I would get the bow I want the most and enjoy shooting and hunting and putting accessories on it and all that...have fun.
Love my VORTEX !!!!!
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Isn't funny how it tends to spook the hunter more than it does the deer? :lol: :shock: :lol:
Dash

Post by Dash »

I like the cats whiskers. But recently I tried a bowjax string dampners on a flemmish string and it was good in cutting down high end noise too. Big Difference. I wanted something I can pull off easily and reuse on another string. But I'd go for the reliability and accuracy of Excalibur over a quieter compound any day.
papa bear1

Post by papa bear1 »

Dash wrote:I like the cats whiskers. But recently I tried a bowjax string dampners on a flemmish string and it was good in cutting down high end noise too. Big Difference. I wanted something I can pull off easily and reuse on another string. But I'd go for the reliability and accuracy of Excalibur over a quieter compound any day.
Dash!!
where can i find ....Bowjax string dampners??? :?

papa bear1 :)
Be safe in all you do! See ya in the woods!!!
2010 Equinox/ Known as Doe Bow
Firebolts
Swhacker BH,s 125 grn
cheek pad /excell string
D-Bars
S-5,s
vixenmaster custom strings
M&M

Post by M&M »

I have shot quite a few deer with mine and none have complained about it being loud, I have not put anything on it to quiet it down and have never had a deer jump the string, if it is too loud for you I suggest ear plugs!! Just kidding of the ear plugs, but really don't worry about the sound by the time the deer realizes he has heard something the arrow is allready through the deer
M&M
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

M&M wrote:I have shot quite a few deer with mine and none have complained about it being loud, I have not put anything on it to quiet it down and have never had a deer jump the string, if it is too loud for you I suggest ear plugs!! Just kidding of the ear plugs, but really don't worry about the sound by the time the deer realizes he has heard something the arrow is allready through the deer
Fully agree with M&M, nothing more can be said. Words well spoken.