Blazer vanes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

obxboys

Blazer vanes

Post by obxboys »

Like many others crossbow enthusiasts on the board, I have slowly integrated a few tweaks to my set up. This past spring gobbler season I went to Easton carbons with 2" Blazer vanes shooting 150 gr boltcutters. I filled both tags in PA. The kills were within 25 yds. I was ecstatic to say the least. Now to my question for the group. Today I was on the range with the Easton/Blazers and the Excal Firebolts. I wanted to double check my scope at 20 through 50 and went through the typical shoot at 20yds then 50yds to check the scope then came back through 30yd and 40yd shots. At 20 yds the Blazers shot accurately. At 50 yds my accuracy was less than acceptable with the Blazers but excellent with the Firebolts. Is anyone shooting 150 gr boltcutters with 2" Blazers and if so are you satisfied with your accuracy? I am wondering if the Blazers can handle 150 gr broadheads at longer distances. This is aimed at range shooting and not necessarily hunting situations. Thanx everyone.
Boo

Re: Blazer vanes

Post by Boo »

Try giving the Blazers more off set.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I experienced two Blazer related issues previously:
1. poor accuracy with several individual arrows turned out to be caused by the back end of one or more vanes being unglued. Not much, barely noticeable but they wouldn't fly.
2. In another case, they wouldn't fly consistently from my compound crossbow. Turns out they were bottoming out in the track channel just enough to cause sporadic accuracy. Fixed by refletching with 3" Fusions, they are not as tall.
Have achieved my best flight with Blasered arrows that are high in FOC, (18-20%) with the vanes set at right helical.
Hope that helps.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Migabby

Post by Migabby »

I have even gone so far as triming the top edge of the Blazes because of bottoming problem on the rail and it helped out 40yrds.
Gold Tips
Slicks
Proud Groundpounder Mount Owner
Proud Boo String Owner
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

There is a new lower profile Blazer you should look at. It should be fine in the Crossbow's rail channel.

The Blazer will do just fine with the crossbow arrow as was stated with a more aggressive helix or offset.
In the Wind.......
obxboys

Post by obxboys »

Thank you for the responses. I appreciate the input and your willingness to share your insight with Blazer vanes.