Scent eliminating sprays... Do they work?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Dash

Scent eliminating sprays... Do they work?

Post by Dash »

I have to ask this question to everyone out there. I've never used any type of scent elimination spray or anything like it, and just try to stay downwind (But I'm not hunting Deer here). Its just hard to beleive an animal with great sense of smell could be fooled that easily. I would imagine that even the smallest amount of new persperation since applying scent killer type stuff would be enough for a deer to detect. I've also seen two clips where all the types of scent kill/eliminating stuff trialled failed to fool a hound dog. So I admit I'm a bit sceptical.
What are you're thoughts or experiences with this type of stuff ? Do you think it works for you and gives you an obvious advantage ?
gendoc

Re: Scent eliminating sprays... Do they work?

Post by gendoc »

never have really proved the sent cover sprays to work, we have had great luck and poor luck with or without these sprays. when we do use it, we like
dead-down-wind.
now the buck attractant does work !!!! last year we had several bucks and does
walk into the food plots with there nose straight up in the air, twisting there neck from side to side to wind the hanging applicator which is 20-50yrds away !
we use code blue when the time is right :wink:
2013 matrix 380x
2011 vortex
vintage exomax & exocet
boo custom strings
Burris FF-III
RBBB
L&S speed demon arras
Easton xx75 2219ch
Ignitors
125 G5 striker mag
Dalton wax
bowmax 1131
wabi calls

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

I think it's a gimmick to take your money.

The best scent cover I ever had was when I was hunting at a horse farm. The hired man backed the manure spreader up to the tree I had my stand in and dumped a load. I had deer right under my tree several times and was never busted.

I try to watch the wind, humidity, and topography. Light wind, low humidity, and having a low area, drop-off, or creek bed behind you for your scent to settle in is ideal. Windy, humid, flat ground...bad news. Gary
strum

Post by strum »

i also am thinking its not what its cracked up to be.but it helps some.
i started washing my clothes in baking soda and of course keeping them away from home scents all i can..
my favorite spot has horses in it so i always walk straight through the crap piles on my way to the stand..
love that country aroma :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

I can honestly say until yesterday i was skeptical about scent preventio sprays. I had used several and still spooked them on walk in.

Yesterday i tried Dead down wind 3D evolve for the first time, on the way to the farm i smoked and got gas. when i got to farm i threw on my outter shirt, sprayed down with the DDD and sprayed my backpack good as well, knowing the wind i had a good idea of which stand i wanted to go to but it involves walking right past my bait pile, as i was approaching the bait pile which was... well dead down wind of me walking in... i got to about 10 yards from it and caught a glimpse of 2 sets of eyes at the corn. Typically they would have caught my scent and skidaddled by then BUT i had to sit there on the ground for 20 minutes until they finally moved on, they were downwind of me the whole time and never even seemed to get nervous, when they finally walked away i had already started looking for a little better cover to slip behind to cock the crossbow as shooting time was getting close.

Once i did get in the stand the doe i got was down wind of me as well and was verry relaxed watching her twins come up behind her.

I will be using the DDD again.
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
watamach

Post by watamach »

They won't do much if your gear is never washed or you dont try and be careful with your camo to and from your hunt. I buy non allergenic, non scented laundry detergent (thats all the stuff is at hunting shops) and wash my stuff every couple hunts. I store it in a tupperware container and break off a pine branch and put it in with it. Once I hit the field I take the same pine branch and rub it on my hands and then my hands to my face and all over my stuff. I rarely get winded and stopped wasting my money on scent spray.
foofoo

Post by foofoo »

ive used a few. dead down wind didnt work for me. i hunt after work alot. for a test i took off my nasty shirt and sprayed it down with the dead down wind.it didnt do anything. i called the company and they explained that the science behind it will prevent odor but you need to spray it before you get all sweaty. what good is that? another spray ive used and i know works is the carbon blast. ive given it the arm pit test and it works. it does leave a lite grey film behind if you spray heavy but was safe on the clothing and gear ive sprayed it on.ive recently bought the primos silver spray but havent had a chance to try it. i usually just hunt the wind. i do like to play with product though.
onebigskittle

Post by onebigskittle »

My best hunting afternoons have been after work when i have just worked with cedar in the shop....wish that could be put in a spray can.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I am a firm beleiver in scent "elimination" sprays. They work, doesnt mean you dont have to play the wind though. If you dont you will get busted. It takes away the strength of your stench, a deer can smell ya, but to it it may seem like you are further away than you are. thats the best way to describe it i think. ever have a deer get jumpy but not full alert or take off?

vix chix post a while back about using it in her house to cover up a dog odor i think. worked for her.

its not absolutly needed though to hunt, just another advantage. When I go weeks inbetween deer sighting i need everything i can to use to my advantage.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I don't think they are the be all end all but I do use them and believe they help quite a bit. I like Tinks and Scent Killer 99%.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

Thanks for the input guys.
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

I lost faith in that stuff when my dog trailed me to the stand one time :lol: ..but i will use it on occasion especially if it,s my huntin buddy,s supply :D ..i dont think it justifies the cost for me to buy it..but if it boost your confidence go with it
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
wayne

Post by wayne »

I guess to some degree they help, always liked baking soda fer washing, etc. But I believe there is no way to be scent free, i.e. you sweat (or oils in your skin come to the top) & your breath, etc. will give you away, about all you can do is cut down on your scent, I like to use natural things found in the area I hunt, like whats already been stated, like pines, etc.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

Dash,
Dont know what you hunt down under, but when it comes to deer , i've tried them all and I still don't know if they really work. I still use them but dont rely totally on them. I tend to lean more towards Masking scent sprays, like Wildlife Research fall blend. Or a fresh earth spray. And also some natural cover scents like cow dung , apples, pine, or just plain old dirt. whatever is in the area i'm hunting. The fresh earth and fall blend spray never ruined a hunt and I like the way they smell!
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

I believe they work on a limited basis. Not as the manufacturers would have you believe, because I doubt there is anything that can fool a deer's nose when all is said and done.
However, I use the scent elimination sprays to cover my walk in to my stand. I douse my pants and boots from the thighs down to the ground just to hopefully prevent my leg and foot contact with ground foliage from leaving a scent.
I'm reasonably confident this is effective but I wouldn't bet my life on it, thats for sure.
In the Wind.......