Cocking Rope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hookedforlife

Cocking Rope

Post by hookedforlife »

Just bought a new Votex with the Right Stuff Package. I noticed that the cocking rope seems short for the bow. I have the hook one side and then raise it up a bit to connect the other side and then cock.

Does this seem right?

Can this affect shot accuracy? I've noticed my groups are very inconsistent. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hunting season is 3 weeks away.

Thanks,

Big T
MarkMarine

Re: Cocking Rope

Post by MarkMarine »

Hooked, that is the way it was designed. If it was longer, the length of pull to cock it would have your elbows up over your head :)
hookedforlife

Post by hookedforlife »

Ok, so what can cause the erratic flight of my bolts other than human error? By erratic I mean hitting the target and then the next bolt in the same location is 3-4" away
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The length of the cocking rope will NOT affect the accuracy. The purpose of the rope is two-fold, first to reduce the draw-weight by half, making it easier to cock the bow. Second and most important, the cocking system ensures that the string will be cocked evenly and the same everytime, no matter how long or short the rope is. This is what makes the crossbow consistence and accurate

The only draw back the rope has is that by reducing the felt draw-weight in half, the pull distance of the rope is doubled. To counteract this, a shorter rope shortens the distance one has to pull up on it. This is especially important for us shorter folks, who would not normally be tall enough to be able to pull up the distance needed to cock the bow.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wayne

Post by wayne »

Thinking, maybe something, is loose, scope etc.
My rope cocker is full length, have to move string up about an inch to hook on my vortex, we shorten wife rope cocker fer her to use on her ibex, have to move string up about 4 inches to hook ( she just damage a nock on the 1st arrow with the 2nd arrow ay 30 yards yesterday ).
Sure you'll much more help from others soon.
Vortex W/ Twilight DLX & Ibex W/ Lumi-Zone
Firebolt's & Carbon Express Maxima Hunters W/ 2" Blazer
Excalibur's X-act broadheads
Excal's Flemish Dyna-Flight string. Fer now

Wayne & Brenda
kurisu

Post by kurisu »

Hey Hooked,

Inconsistent arrow flight can be caused by deviations in the arrow, check to make sure they're straight. Also, if you look from the stirup down the rail, at the stirup end of the bow you will notice some plastic shims between the riser and the limbs. These plastic shims aren't always trimmed flush with the inside of the rail and, consequently, can contact the fletch of the arrow on its way out sometimes. You can trim the plastic so that it won't contact the fletch with a sharp razor blade. Another possibility is that your string isn't completely stretched, keep checking the brace height and make sure that your keeping it between the lines. I also check to make sure that all my screws are tight prior to shooting. At one time, I was having some problems with the scope mount coming loose. This was solved with a little blue loctite (don't use the red, it doesn't come loose). There are some other possibilities, I'm sure, but this will give you a starting point.

Kurisu
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

hookedforlife wrote:Ok, so what can cause the erratic flight of my bolts other than human error? By erratic I mean hitting the target and then the next bolt in the same location is 3-4" away
Several factors can be to blame. For instances, inconsistent arrows, loose components,(due to loose screws), but also human error, just to name a few

One question, are you using a bench rest when shooting your bow?
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
deerdhunter

Post by deerdhunter »

When you use the rope cocker make sure that the hooks are tight against the rail or you will get inconsistent cocking angles.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

hookedforlife wrote:Ok, so what can cause the erratic flight of my bolts other than human error? By erratic I mean hitting the target and then the next bolt in the same location is 3-4" away
I'm waiting on a liberal to say George Bush. Heck, by their account he's caused evry other bad thing in history .