Fletching Comparison Testing

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Horizontal Hunter

Fletching Comparison Testing

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I suffer from a incurable case of tinkeritis so when I saw the new Norway Xeon Fusion vanes I just had to try them out; but I also wanted to try some 5" feathers and some of Dorges Aerovanes and I normally shoot Bhonings 2" Blazer so.... I decided a fletching test was in order.

I have been shooting the Bhoning Blazer for many years and the crossbow (not necessarily the shooter) is capable of same hole accuracy at 40 yards off of a monopod with the Blazers When I do my part.

The equipment:
200lb Excalibur Exocet with a Varizone scope and a factory FFF string with served in cat whiskers.

424g 20" Gold Tip Laser II arrows with a brass insert up front and an aluminum nock at the rear. Tipped with 125g field point or 125g Slick Trick broadhead.

I build my own arrows so all were fletched with a 4 degree right offset. and the weight of my arrows is 424g +/- .5 grains. I actually take the time to shave down the rear insert to achieve this weight tolerance. I have always believed that consistency is the key to archery. The feathers are lighter and came in at 412.5g for an overall finished arrow weight.

The Blazers, Xeon Fusions, and Aerovanes all came in at 6g, give or take .5g, and the feathers were 3g. The Xeon fusions had the most variance in vane weight ranging from 6.0g to 7.0g.

All shots were taken at 40 yards from a sitting position using a monopod. I have an anti-cant level on my scope to ensure that my limbs stay parallel.

Yardage was verified with a Bushnell 450 range finder.

I only shot two broadhead tipped arrows at a time at the target as I really didn't want to tear up any more arrows than necessary. All arrows were spin tested when the broadheads were put on them.

It should be noted that the directions for the Aerovanes state to fletch them with zero degree offset and no more than a maximum of 1 degree offset should be used to maintain the aerofoil effect that the vane was designed to produce. I DID NOT follow the directions and I fletched them with a 4 degrees right offset as that is what my fletching jig does. I will note that the testing for the Aerovanes was cut short as I cut one of the vanes off with a broadhead on the 3rd or 4th round. That was the consistent accuracy I was getting though and frankly I am surprised I didn't damage them sooner.

The pictures I selected for the post are representative of the groupings I saw.

These are the arrows:
From left to right: Feathers, Aerovanes, Xeon Fusions, and the Bhoning Blazers.

This is a typical picture of the field points:
There are actually 7 arrows in this picture. One of the Aerovane fletched arrows is hidden by a feather fletched arrow.

The Feathers:

The Aerovanes:

The Norway Xeon Fusions:

Conclusions:

The pictures really speak for themselves.

Shooting groups is expensive as I damaged several arrows and rear inserts during this testing. I cringe when I shoot more than one arrow at a target and listen for the crack.

No animals were harmed during this test. Hopefully that will change on the September 15th when the season opens.

Field points all shoot to the same point regardless of the fletching as far as I am concerned.

All of the different fletchings did a more than adequate job steering my arrows with the low profile Slick Trick Magnum broadhead.

I have selected a good arrow for my crossbow in terms of overall weight and FOC and any of the fletchings I tested will do the job.

Contrary to the advertising the Norway Xeon Fusions are not so bright that they can replace a lighted nock but they are definitely more visible going down range than any of the other fletchings I have shot; at least to my eyes anyway. Free samples can be obtained from Norway by going to their contact page and filling out the contact info.

Feathers are not very durable in comparison to plastic vanes but if you fletch your own arrows that really doesn't matter. The feathers by far had the best adhesion to the arrows.

All the other plastic style fletchings held up very well and I had no adhesion problems during the testing . I did notice that when I went to strip all of the arrows the Norway Xeon Fusions came off the easiest.

For all fletchings I used the Gorilla impact formula super glue.

It is fun to fling arrows.

Bob

Oh,I almost forgot, I am going to go with the feathers this year. I think that they will be more forgiving if I clip a twig on the way to the target. I will also get the added benefit of being able to say I am going trad this year with feathers and a recurve (crossbow). :lol:

Here are my arrows all dressed in their new outfits ready to meet Mr or Mrs Deer. I will be happy to provide the introduction.

Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
masboy

Re: Fletching Comparison Testing

Post by masboy »

Very interesting test your sure rite about the blazers the same results for me with my pet arrows. I put 5 inch gateways with lots of helix on some of my best shooting arrows and could not poke holes from a Benchrest and sandbags like I could with the blazers.most trouble I had was shooting the feathers in the wind.I shoot in the wind a lot too test arrows .my blazer are mostly no more than a couple inches off at 50yds in the wind. I shot my feathers in a strong crosswind the other day and they shot 10 inches too the right at 30 yds.took off all feathers that day .every arrow I hunt with or target shoot with has 2inch blazers on them. My rage,montec g5 , muzzy four blade all shoot same poi as my field points out too 50 yds on my pet arrows .too me it dosn,t get any better than that got too love them blazers!!!
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

Great write-Up Horizontal!! Well done! :D
In the Wind.......
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Great test. Thanks for taking the time to share your results with us. I currently use the 3" Blazer vanes but I might try the Xeon vanes next time I make up some arrows.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Horizontal Hunter

automated11 wrote:Horizontal Hunter,

How far from the rear insert / back of the arrow do u glue on your vanes? I would like to see what measurement your using.
1 and 5/16 of an inch. I use the AZ-EZ Fletch so the distance is fixed.

Bob
ltague

Post by ltague »

Horizontal Hunter,

Thanks for the detailed arrow analysis. You obviously know about 100 times more and I about the science of arrows. Therefore, maybe you can answer a question about aluminum arrows. I know that in most cases folks use 2216, 2217, or 2219 size arrows. However, I have a bunch of XX78 2313 size arrows that I used with an old compound bow. I would love to be able to reuse these arrows by cutting them down to 20" and configuring them. Do you know if these 2313s will shoot out of an Excalibur Axiom shooting 175# draw weight... safely? Thanks.
Horizontal Hunter wrote:I suffer from a incurable case of tinkeritis so when I saw the new Norway Xeon Fusion vanes I just had to try them out; but I also wanted to try some 5" feathers and some of Dorges Aerovanes and I normally shoot Bhonings 2" Blazer so.... I decided a fletching test was in order.

I have been shooting the Bhoning Blazer for many years and the crossbow (not necessarily the shooter) is capable of same hole accuracy at 40 yards off of a monopod with the Blazers When I do my part.

The equipment:
200lb Excalibur Exocet with a Varizone scope and a factory FFF string with served in cat whiskers.

424g 20" Gold Tip Laser II arrows with a brass insert up front and an aluminum nock at the rear. Tipped with 125g field point or 125g Slick Trick broadhead.

I build my own arrows so all were fletched with a 4 degree right offset. and the weight of my arrows is 424g +/- .5 grains. I actually take the time to shave down the rear insert to achieve this weight tolerance. I have always believed that consistency is the key to archery. The feathers are lighter and came in at 412.5g for an overall finished arrow weight.

The Blazers, Xeon Fusions, and Aerovanes all came in at 6g, give or take .5g, and the feathers were 3g. The Xeon fusions had the most variance in vane weight ranging from 6.0g to 7.0g.

All shots were taken at 40 yards from a sitting position using a monopod. I have an anti-cant level on my scope to ensure that my limbs stay parallel.

Yardage was verified with a Bushnell 450 range finder.

I only shot two broadhead tipped arrows at a time at the target as I really didn't want to tear up any more arrows than necessary. All arrows were spin tested when the broadheads were put on them.

It should be noted that the directions for the Aerovanes state to fletch them with zero degree offset and no more than a maximum of 1 degree offset should be used to maintain the aerofoil effect that the vane was designed to produce. I DID NOT follow the directions and I fletched them with a 4 degrees right offset as that is what my fletching jig does. I will note that the testing for the Aerovanes was cut short as I cut one of the vanes off with a broadhead on the 3rd or 4th round. That was the consistent accuracy I was getting though and frankly I am surprised I didn't damage them sooner.

The pictures I selected for the post are representative of the groupings I saw.

These are the arrows:
From left to right: Feathers, Aerovanes, Xeon Fusions, and the Bhoning Blazers.

This is a typical picture of the field points:
There are actually 7 arrows in this picture. One of the Aerovane fletched arrows is hidden by a feather fletched arrow.

The Feathers:

The Aerovanes:

The Norway Xeon Fusions:

Conclusions:

The pictures really speak for themselves.

Shooting groups is expensive as I damaged several arrows and rear inserts during this testing. I cringe when I shoot more than one arrow at a target and listen for the crack.

No animals were harmed during this test. Hopefully that will change on the September 15th when the season opens.

Field points all shoot to the same point regardless of the fletching as far as I am concerned.

All of the different fletchings did a more than adequate job steering my arrows with the low profile Slick Trick Magnum broadhead.

I have selected a good arrow for my crossbow in terms of overall weight and FOC and any of the fletchings I tested will do the job.

Contrary to the advertising the Norway Xeon Fusions are not so bright that they can replace a lighted nock but they are definitely more visible going down range than any of the other fletchings I have shot; at least to my eyes anyway. Free samples can be obtained from Norway by going to their contact page and filling out the contact info.

Feathers are not very durable in comparison to plastic vanes but if you fletch your own arrows that really doesn't matter. The feathers by far had the best adhesion to the arrows.

All the other plastic style fletchings held up very well and I had no adhesion problems during the testing . I did notice that when I went to strip all of the arrows the Norway Xeon Fusions came off the easiest.

For all fletchings I used the Gorilla impact formula super glue.

It is fun to fling arrows.

Bob

Oh,I almost forgot, I am going to go with the feathers this year. I think that they will be more forgiving if I clip a twig on the way to the target. I will also get the added benefit of being able to say I am going trad this year with feathers and a recurve (crossbow). :lol:

Here are my arrows all dressed in their new outfits ready to meet Mr or Mrs Deer. I will be happy to provide the introduction.

Larry
Axiom SMF user beginning 9/11
GT IV with 85gr slick tricks

Long-time standard recurve and compound bow hunter (45yrs)
See4miles

Post by See4miles »

2213s, 2216s, and 2219s, are all perfect for your Excal, the 2213s are going to be the lightest of the lot so be sure your overall arrow weight is at least 350gr. This is a case where a heavy broadhead will give you better FOC%.
I messed with the 2213s with my vertical and crossbow and find the walls too thin and fragile for my purposes.
In the Wind.......
theoldarcher

Post by theoldarcher »

Just wondering if the Norway Xeon Fusion vanes were as visible in flight as they advertize or was there no difference as far as visibilit but I see that you went into that on your post so never mind. :oops:
Horizontal Hunter

ltague wrote:Horizontal Hunter,

Thanks for the detailed arrow analysis. You obviously know about 100 times more and I about the science of arrows. Therefore, maybe you can answer a question about aluminum arrows. I know that in most cases folks use 2216, 2217, or 2219 size arrows. However, I have a bunch of XX78 2313 size arrows that I used with an old compound bow. I would love to be able to reuse these arrows by cutting them down to 20" and configuring them. Do you know if these 2313s will shoot out of an Excalibur Axiom shooting 175# draw weight... safely? Thanks.
I have not used aluminum arrows since I was a young lad so I can't be of much help to you with that but I see that there is a good response to your question and I am sure that others will comment as well. Thats the great thing about this forum. Everybody is always so willing to help.
theoldarcher wrote:Just wondering if the Norway Xeon Fusion vanes were as visible in flight as they advertize or was there no difference as far as visibilit but I see that you went into that on your post so never mind. :oops:
I really liked the Zeon Fusion vanes. IMO they are every bit as tough as the Blazers, provide an equal amount of stability, and I think that they might be easier to find on the forest floor after a shot. I recently read that the 3" Zeon Fusion vanes have just gone into production. If I go back to the modern plastic vanes that is probably what I would use.

I am still in the honeymoon phase with the feathers. :lol: I will just have to see how the season goes and how the feathers hold up.

Bob