fawns NOT to shoot

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

fawns NOT to shoot

Post by wabi »

I recently had a poll thread on shooting fawns.
The discussion stayed civil even though members were split on their opinions.

One comment I would like to make is that I very often see threads when season is in of members posting pics of their "yearlings" shot, that in reality were probably fawns. Not bashing them, because I've done the same thing. :lol: "Yearling" sounds so much more acceptable than "fawn" when we tell about our kill. :roll:
I consider a fawn any deer less than 1 year old, and a yearling to be between 1 & 2 years old. Actually (at least here) it's very often a guess as to the actual age (both before and after the shot), especially later in the season. A lot of deer over 6 months old are called yearlings, whether it's correct or not is debatable I guess. :roll: :wink: :lol:

Anyway,
there are some fawns I would definitely pass on shooting.
If this pair show up, they're safe.
Want to guess why?

close-up

and one of them alone

wabi
one shot scott

Re: fawns NOT to shoot

Post by one shot scott »

Because they are bucks?
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

I guess it,s all about the wording where you live..here a fawn is spotted..after the spots are gone it,s called a yearling
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

For me by definition of a yearling is anything that has not hit 2 years of age. Whether to shoot or not is an individual opinion based on your goals and needs, conservation, management and your commitment to the people that own the property. Some times if its brown its down, at other times we can or have to be more selective.

I've been told (asked) by farmers to shoot any bear I see to protect their livestock. Granted I've also been told to shoot any trespassers just for the hell of it too. :shock:

Many things to consider so I would not apply one rule to all situations.

F
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

Both are exhibiting good mass and excellent symmetry! :lol:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

YOU ARE A TROPHY HUNTER!! :twisted: :twisted: :lol:
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

what i know of the term "yearling" is any deer, moose, elk and such as being a year old and under or the first hunting season after there born they are yearlings....fawns to most people i know are 6 months and younger :wink: .........bob

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Whats your opinion if the doe is with them?
Wildlife Control

Post by Wildlife Control »

Most of the fawns in my area still have spots during our archery/crossbow season so there is no question about it. I also agree that it really depends on the location/situation and management plan as well as other factors. Ultimately the decision must be made by the hunter and it's our duty to make the right choice in each instance.
Florida Nuisance Wildlife Trapper

Excalibur Equinox
Easton Firebolts Brass Inserts
NAP Spitfires

Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It's MUCH more important than that.
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

bucknbill wrote:I guess it,s all about the wording where you live..here a fawn is spotted..after the spots are gone it,s called a yearling
Yep. Techincally yall might be right, but for us trigger happy rednecks, a fawn has spots. If ain't got no spots, that there is a yearling... or a "fryer" as I like to call them!
"Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
wabi

Post by wabi »

Because they are bucks?
First answer and we have a winner!
Since I started hunting this farm years ago I killed several small racked older bucks the first several years. The bucks now are displaying better antler growth, and I'd like to see what these little guys grow on their heads in the next year or two.
Whats your opinion if the doe is with them?
Small & skinny. :lol:
There are much bigger does hitting the feeder, and I'd prefer to take one of them.
YOU ARE A TROPHY HUNTER!!
Some truth there. :wink:
I'd like to get at least 30 pounds of meat back from the processor. :roll: :lol:
(shot one that size last year and got about 25#, but it was tender!)
wabi
bucknbill

Post by bucknbill »

Panhandler80 wrote:
bucknbill wrote:I guess it,s all about the wording where you live..here a fawn is spotted..after the spots are gone it,s called a yearling
Yep. Techincally yall might be right, but for us trigger happy rednecks, a fawn has spots. If ain't got no spots, that there is a yearling... or a "fryer" as I like to call them!
"Fryers?" I call,em "coffee pot deer" time coffee is made thy are skinned and dressed :lol: :lol:
Exocet 200
S5 string stoppers
3x Proview
ComfyBear string
2219,s Blazer vanes, Muzzy 3 bld 125,s..they fly straight

John 3:16
Panhandler80

you know... a FRYER!... young and tender!

Post by Panhandler80 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit
Rabbit products are generally labeled in three ways, the first being Fryer. This is a young rabbit between 4.5 and 5 pounds and up to 9 weeks in age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_(food)
Whole chickens are marketed in the United States as fryers, broilers, and roasters. Fryers are the smallest size (2.5-4 lbs dressed for sale), and the most common, as chicken reach this size quickly (about 7 weeks)

If I get a shot at a doe that just lost her spots... you can bet she's going down... especially if I'm bow hunting and it's either late in an AM hunt, or early in a PM hunt.
new2xbow

Post by new2xbow »

wabi wrote:I'd like to get at least 30 pounds of meat back from the processor. :roll: :lol:
(shot one that size last year and got about 25#, but it was tender!)
If'n you learn to do it yourself you can maximize your yield, processors are always in a hurry and don't take the time to pick over the bones like you would!
Tony K.
Stokes County, NC
Axiom SMF
Firebolts
X-act 100gr

http://www.NCGunRights.com - "Gun laws only limit the law abiding!"
Panhandler80

Post by Panhandler80 »

Yeah... way more yield if you do it yourself.

One thing I have learned though...

The guys here bascially charge $90 / deer. That will get you sausage, or ground venison, or cuts, cube steak, etc. If you want summer sausage that costs a bit more.

Anyway, if all you want is sasuage and you just shot a very small deer... that is the deer to take in. I'm pretty sure they make the sausage with multiple deer. I have dropped off two large (175lbs here in Florida) deer and told them all sausage. Pick it up in a week or two... about 45 lbs of sausage. Last year I ended the season with about a 70lb doe. I dropped her off because I as late late late for a party and told them all sausage. Picked it up. About 45bs of sausage!