Scope/no scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MR. GADGET

Scope/no scope

Post by MR. GADGET »

I will start by saying that Crossbows are like drugs, they cost and when you start there is no putting them down..... :D

So I'm shooting a Max with a scope on it now, got to thinking about another bow to play with. This bow is great, almost think just get another but leaning to something a little different, not much....Just to try something.
Maybe a Exocet 200, never really cared for the thumb hole stocks at all and I'm 6' 260 lbs. so that may fit the bill.
For this one I was thinking a little different, just shooting open sights, lean and mean, more of a plinker. Carry the bolts in my pack and not have anything on the bow keeping it as light and easy to use and get around with.

How many of you use open sights? What you think about them? Are there after market, maybe night sights, upgrades for them?

Is it wishful thinking that I would like the bow with open sights and end up getting a scope, or do a lot of you really use and like them.
Never shot one with out a scope but the combo setup saves money if you think that there is no way I would be happy shooting open sights.

Looking a deal, will just get it new if I can not find a used one that I can shoot first. Any big dealers do close outs or sell used ones, maybe demos that you can trust?
Thanks
Xbowkiller

Re: Scope/no scope

Post by Xbowkiller »

seabee401

Post by seabee401 »

My first Excal was Phoenix w/Lite stuff pkg. from a dealer.So it came w/Varizone scope on it. I love the scope but decided I needed another Excal. Got an exocet 200 Bow only off E-bay for a really good price. My plan was to swap accessories (sling,quiver,bolts) when I want to hunt w/ that bow. Then save $ for A Varizone scope for the exocet. But now Im having second thoughts.I kinda like shooting w/the supplied open sights. It's a little like shooting my vertical bow.fun. Although I haven not hunted w/ either one yet. I might just keep it simple this yr. and see how i like it in the woods.
Phoenix I, Phoenix II, Excocet 200, Vortex, Matrix 350Se, Matrix 330, Matrix 310
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

hankenhunter wrote:There is nothing wrong with using the supplied peep sight.
You won't have the light magnification of a scope in low light conditions but for close up shots ( 20 yds. ) it will work good.
Happy shootin,
Hank
x2 Good Hunting.
GaryM

Post by GaryM »

If your eyes are good, use the peep. I loved my peep sight and was good with it. Then, my eyes started going. Had to go to a scope. :( Gary
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

As stated the scope really shines in the lowlight . But the peep can be made to work better if you can maintain a good stock location repetitively . Just open up the peep alittle at a time . For the front , go to a vertical bow sight with a single fibre optic in a multitude of colours . ( for the colour blind crowd )
I personally went to the scope after having to pass on a buck in early morning light standing in a brown soyabean field at ground level . :shock: That morning after the hunt I couldn`t get a scope on fast enough . :)
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Dereck

Post by Dereck »

Here is what I did to them.
ImageImage
Tenpoint Matrix