Canned hunts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MarkMarine

Re: Canned hunts

Post by MarkMarine »

awshucks wrote:I've been to a few canned hunts, as you call them 1st was Rio Bonito a few yrs ago. Had read for a few years about ACF 'Rendezvous' there, so I anted up over $2K and went.

25 square miles, perimeter fenced. I got one shot on a hog last hunt, and dry fired. 8 hunts.

Canned hog hunt was last one, took rifle, had one possible shot at a hog, but Planter was going to gig him, [he did]so I waited. That was it for 2 days worth.

Can anyone match/beat over $2k and dry fire? Didn't think so, I therefore claim Presidency of dry fire club, lol.
I Second the Nomination of Awshucks as President of the Fraternal Order of the Dry-Fire Club! :lol: (Now, where's my kickbacks LOL)
DeerLady

Post by DeerLady »

Thank You again, MarkMarine, for your kind words. It is a pleasure to chat with you and exchange ideas because I think we can learn from each other ... at least I know I do!

Thank You also for trying to understand and engage me in this very civil conversation.

You are exactly right, my operation has a very strong agricultural accent, while others are more wildlife management oriented, like the hunting ones.

I think I might have explained myself not correctly, or leave it open to other interpretation, about the oncologist, but ... Oh well :-)

I think I understand from your posts and name that you are a Marine. I would like to conclude this writing by conveying my uttermost respect I have for you and others who serve this Great and Marvelous Country so faithfully and well.

We would never be able (Never!) to be chatting on a public forum like this were it not for your devotion and sacrifice. We would never be able to hunt in high fence, low fence, or no fence.

I was not born here. I came here as fast as I could, having being born with a strong desire to be part of this Great Country, and, through a bunch of visas, I finally became a US Citizen. Coming from other countries that have no idea what True Freedom is, it is a great privilege and honor living here and being welcomed like family.

Thank YOU and ALL of YOU who made it possible for our Country to prosper and be strong. Thank You for letting all of us enjoy life, freedom, and the pursue of happiness. Our debt, MY debt, is infinite.

God Bless You, MarkMarine, and God Bless all our troops.
DeerLady

Post by DeerLady »

PS: MarkMarine, I have been looking on Google for the translation of "Donadagvi," but besides that is a Cherokee word, I cannot find the translation ... what does it mean? I bet it is "Happy Trails," but ... :-)

Thank YOU!! Marida
MarkMarine

Post by MarkMarine »

DeerLady wrote:PS: MarkMarine, I have been looking on Google for the translation of "Donadagvi," but besides that is a Cherokee word, I cannot find the translation ... what does it mean? I bet it is "Happy Trails," but ... :-)

Thank YOU!! Marida
Marida, if I may be permitted to use your first name? The Eastern Tsalagi have no words for "good bye". Some of the Oklahoma Band use "Dohiya" to mean that. However, "donadagvi" is akin to "until our paths meet again" :) Happy trails works LOL

In the Aniwaya (Wolf Clan) we say "soft paths".

Insomuch as gratitude, I did nothing remarkable beyond survive. The real gratitude needs to be doled out to those who sleep beneath gardens of stone who did not.

On a final note about this topic, I feel that those orginizations and landowners who volunteer of themselves for the benefit of wildlife and who also provide hunts for disabled persons (veterans included), terminally ill patrons, and those individuals who are recipient to the Make A Wish Foundation are angels in camouflage. Their kindnesses in gifting of themselves, their time, their accomidations is nothing short of remarkable.

I believe the contentiousness witnessed in this discussion centers around people with too much money who pay for the privalege of hunting prime real estate and premium animals. It is hard to feel a fraternity as a hunter who must scrounge for a place to hunt (or run the gauntlet of public land hunting) who cannot afford fancy gear nor prime fare to feel any kinship with Joe Blow who pops online, books a hunt, takes a week off work to wit he strips out his suit, dawns camo, and suddenly becomes the reincarnation of Daniel Boone in the American version of Jurrasic Park LOL

Anyway, thanks again for the civility :)
DeerLady

Post by DeerLady »

MarkMarine,

Our trails meet again because after all I am a girl and I must have the last word :-)

Indeed I have the utmost respect for both of those who made the ultimate sacrifice and for those who, wounded, came back without sight or limbs, or other injuries. My gratitude goes also to the loved ones of those who lost it all or came back with new challenges. Family members are also heroes for their own sacrifices.

The EWA is highly involved with our wounded heroes. We offer hunting and fishing to our heroes who are hospitalized and everything their family members desire, including activities other than outdoors, if so they wish. You and all of you are our heroes, and certainly are mine.

However, my utmost respect and gratitude goes also to you, who have been through hell and back while I was comfortably sleeping in my bed and doing business as usual. You could have been one of those not coming back, or coming back with new challenges to face. The fact you risked it all but came back changes nothing in my gratitude, except my happiness for the fact that you made it back, I hope safe and sound.

I also respect and appreciate your humility.

Thank YOU again, therefore, for all you have done. And thank you for your explanations and our chat.

Yours,
Marida the DeerLady
aaronhome

Post by aaronhome »

hankenhunter wrote:
aaronhome wrote:Although many dont agree with "canned hunting" it is still classified as hunting. PITA recognizes it that way and loves to stir the pot to get hunters to speak against hunting whether you think it is or not. They will twist the words used in forums like this to show thoughts and feelings of hunters to gain ground and funding for their cause. There will always be those who will list off a whole slew of things they have heard or seen that they do not like. This saves PITA time and money from investigating for themselves. Whether you agree with one type of hunting or not you should choose your words wisely when speaking on a public forum. I have seen some of the information PITA uses and let me tell you alot of it comes from forums like this. A person may brag about a good put and take pheasant hunt then bash another form of hunting in the same breath. I personally prefer the o'natural hunting but will never publicly attack another part of the hunting industry. I don't agree with alot I have seen on how the meat gets to my table but I still eat meat. There are a lot worse industries when it comes to care and neglect towards animals. I have been around the hunting and deerfarming industry for a long time I can tell you that a lot if not nearly all negative publicity comes for staged and / or mear propaganda. Much of which is cooked up from someone telling a story that his best friends uncles second cousins brother said was true. I am not stirring the pot more than it already is. I am just stating that you should choose your words wisely when speaking on a public forum.
I hope your not saying that I am lying or saying I didn't see
the video's I saw. I watched a couple of yahoos ventilate a
two exotic deer. They barely twitched as arrow after poorly
aimed arrow hit them. Are you gonna tell me the ASPCA
would purposely hurt an animal to make a point. I find that
hard to believe. Don't accuse members of lying unless you have some darned good proof.
Unhappily yours,
Hank

I never directed the statement towards any individual. If you feel that was my intention than an apology is owed to you. I know that there are some very disturbing hunts filmed that are a disgrace to the true hunting community. My comments are in the general sense pertaining to all hunting forums. Many times you will have hundreds on comments posting negative facts that were passed along a line somewhere then thought to be true. These comments can / are damaging to the hunting industry as a whole. My intention was to try to stop the mass posts that usually in-sue after a negative post or two are made so that an individual can "join the band wagon" to make new friends or be seen. I hope this clears up any confusion on the intention of the post.
DJH

Post by DJH »

Ladies and Gentlemen - For the record, the Rio Bonito Ranch in Texas where the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine has its annual Winter Rendezvous is not a high fence ranch. Along its jagged border it abutts two ranches that are high fence, but that is the only high fence connected with the Rio. It is a fair chase ranch from end to end.
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

DJH wrote:Ladies and Gentlemen - For the record, the Rio Bonito Ranch in Texas where the Horizontal Bowhunter Magazine has its annual Winter Rendezvous is not a high fence ranch. Along its jagged border it abutts two ranches that are high fence, but that is the only high fence connected with the Rio. It is a fair chase ranch from end to end.
Dan, you can go on any type of hunt you want. It is just none of anybodies business but yours.
DJH

Post by DJH »

I agree Agingcrossbower, I was not defending the HBM Hunters who hunt with us each year, but instead the Rio Bonito Ranch which I have hunted every year since 1994. It is a magical place that is dear to my heart as a consistent creator of adventure. And even if it were high-fenced; a twenty-six sqaure mile pen just might be a bit of a challenge for the most experienced of hunter. :-)
It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!

Daniel James Hendricks
POB 251
Glenwood, MN 56334
320-634-3660
Email: [email protected]