Death wish

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

michaelrbauer

Death wish

Post by michaelrbauer »

I have a fawn that has a death wish. It has been within 6 yards of me multiple times. last eve when I got out of my stand she walked over by me and stood 10 yards away playing peekaboo with me. Another hunter may end up taking here as she seams to have no fear. I'll let her grow a little first.
Vortex, Lumiscope, 100 gr spitfires
43.11 N 88.22 W
agingcrossbower

Re: Death wish

Post by agingcrossbower »

I ran into a fawn like that to. No fear at all. Poor thing did not get shot by me but I bet it did not last long. :(
rayman

Post by rayman »

Still a sore subject. A doe fawn took up at one of my feeders like that about 10 years ago. She had somewhat distinctive markings and always stayed to herself. Saw that deer everytime I sat at that stand that year. Didn't have the heart to kill her, but killed other does from that same stand. Put buddies in that stand and told them to shoot any doe except that fawn that kept coming and going. Got kind of attached - stupid I guess. Hunted that stand opening morning the following year and guess what. Saw that same doe again. Guarantee it was the same one - the same dark lines around her face and kept to herself. Guess what else, someone put a new stand across the creek I was hunting near. Yep. Hunted that stand the 2nd weekend and didn't see that little doe for the first time in over a year. Back at camp, talked to the guys that put up that new stand and they said they had killed a doe from that stand during the week. Felt like giving them a shiny eye. They had not broken a single rule though. Suppose it was my own fault. That was the last year I hunted at that camp. True story.
tman74

Post by tman74 »

One morning 4 years ago I had a 3 bucks and a doe cruise by me and my stand very quickly and a fawn shortly after. The fawn took it's time though, and followed my footsteps to the base of my tree and kept sniffing and looking up. It hung around for a few minutes and moved away very slowly and casually. Later on in the evening that little bugger came back and did the same thing. I was sitting at the top of a broken over tree and he/she did the same routine. This time looking right at me from time to time but not being alarmed.

I can't shoot fawns period...especially that little one.
The meat don't fry if the arrow don't fly!
===========
Matrix 355
Exocet 165
===========
peter p

Post by peter p »

I don't know but I think that if you kill a doe early in the season that has a fawn, the fawn has a low chance of surviving, being from a hunter or predator.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

That's a cool story. The young ones are naturally curious...which isn't always a good thing for them.
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads